Disneyland outside of the box

wingednike

DIS Veteran
Many businesses have already adapted to the regulations in order to make at least some money. Can Disney do the same? I'm trying to list solid examples they could follow.

The Magic Castle has opened itself to members and non-members to order food. There are specific pick up times. https://togo.magiccastle.com/

Knott's is having its Taste of Calico weekends https://www.knotts.com/play/events/taste-of-calico

Could World of Disney do curbside pick up? Sam's Club adapted to that pretty early on and Harvey's is doing it, too. https://shopharveys.com/pages/curbside-pickup

Disneyland could open for shopping, dining and with some entertainment, just no rides. I would suggest making it where people have to make reservations and in order to do so they need some form of admission media, if they show up, it doesn't count against using their admission media, otherwise it counts as a day or for passholders and CMs a no show and a certain number of no shows would eliminate the ability to make reservations for a while. Of course there would need to be an option to be able to contact Disney and explain extenuating circumstances to remove the penalty, such as you got sick and felt it was best not to go.

Even if Disney didn't want to open up either parks, they could use the space from Harbor Blvd (temporarily close this entrance to DTD/Parks), thru the esplanade, and into DTD to put up kiosks from the parks: churros, ice creams, popcorn, Red Wagon corn dogs, etc. Sell balloons, bubble blowers, hats, etc, and put tables spaced out. Have Characters go by on the monorail waving, or at the Train Station, waving to guests.
They could theme it around Disneyland's 65th birthday. Have a food tasting of sorts. Knotts is doing it right.

We were thinking that it could be nice if Disney used the TS lot to show drive-in movies, e.g. Disney classics. They could sell DLR concessions like popcorn, churros, Mickey ice cream bars, etc. I know a lot of people who would be up for a movie night at DLR.
We suggested that way back during lockdown period, but the concern was the public bathrooms as an issue; but now we've done staged reopening and DTD has bathrooms open without issue, this should be a viable option again.

There's popup dive-in events ongoing so it does reflect some revenue potentials.

One would think Disney has already thought of these options - but shelved them as they were prepping for July 17th full reopening. Now that the future remains murky and successes of alternates; I'm hopeful that we will see some utilization of the DLR space in the near future as temporary stopgags

1. Drive in movies -- HUGE archives of content
2. Drive through Food stops of your favs. -- mentioned above SD Fair does this
3. Drive through attractions using the parking garages -- Small World and Little Mermaid come to mind-- with music radiocasted

3. Drive through attractions using the parking garages -- Small World and Little Mermaid come to mind-- with music radiocasted

I was wondering if something like this could be done in place of the Oogie Bash. Last year's Villain Trail seemed to be a hit and I think it could be done as a drive through attraction. It was all lights and music. Villains or other characters on stages would work.

I was wondering if something like this could be done in place of the Oogie Bash. Last year's Villain Trail seemed to be a hit and I think it could be done as a drive through attraction. It was all lights and music. Villains or other characters on stages would work.
Griffith Park does something like this for the holidays. I don't remember how long it was. Has anyone done this recently?

Griffith Park does something like this for the holidays. I don't remember how long it was. Has anyone done this recently?
I was checking on the name of the Del Mar Holiday of Lights that we did in 2015 which was the last year they had it. Griffith Park ended sometime prior to that.

It was a cute display at Del Mar. Reminded me of the Electrical Water Pageant at WDW 7 Seas Lagoon except we were moving, not the lights.

Described here:

DEL MAR - The Holiday of Lights at the Del Mar Fairgrounds is the largest animated drive-through light show on the West Coast. More than 400 displays located around the Del Mar Racetrack on a 1.5 mile route can be seen either by car or a hayride offered. In 2011 over 21,000 vehicles drove through the display, and close to 2,000 took the hayride. The popular annual event is one of the few remaining commercial drive-through displays in California (Los Angeles DWP used to hold a drive-thru event at Griffith Park but it has been dark for several years and continues to be in 2012.)

http://www.seecalifornia.com/christmas/del-mar-holiday-lights.html

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/07/30/california-theme-parks-reopen-without-rides/
I saw this article on OC Register. I really do wonder if Disney has a backup way to open the parks without "opening" the parks.

I think it would be a great idea if Disney opened both parks with different food tasting type events. Disneyland celebrating it's 65th birthday. Have more seating placed outdoors, well spaced out, of course and have plenty of items stocked that have 65th on it. DCA - an extended food and wine tasting event. Pixar Pier could have food featured in any Pixar movies, for example. Having all the carts opened, as well as places to sit, with social distancing, of course.

There are ways to have characters safely seen (up at the train station, Haunted Mansion balcony, waving from the monorail as it goes by, etc.

I would love to sit on the patio at Rancho de Zocalo enjoying a meal while listening to all the sounds and enjoying the scenery.

Have take out from restaurants, seating in the esplanade, etc. Come on imagineers, start imagining.

Here is how a local mall is doing its drive-in experience. This place is about 20 minutes from DLR...it looks like most of their movies will be either Disney or Disney-adjacent.

Attachments

• Drive-In Movies at the Mall Flyer & FAQ.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Seems like Disney might have been listening to us! D23 is doing a drive-in event at the Rose Bowl this Friday. :) That's one way to test the waters...

ETA: This was a fun event! The cars were spaced every other space so that viewing was clear for everyone. Concessions appeared to be plentiful (pre-ordered by app). Plenty of staffing to help keep things under control. I hope D23 or Disney in general does this kind of drive-in event again soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter