Disneyland plus D23 Expo July 11 - July 17

wilkeliza

DIS Veteran
Hi all.

So I just got to the amazing Disneyland Hotel and am goig to try and update as I can. I'm here for a mixed parks and expo vacation. Here is a run down of my plan.

Tuesday July 11 - Arrive late, get to bed.

Wednesday July 12 - DCA/DL

(Big to dos here are Mission Break Out and Radiror Springs. Beyond that soak up the parks)

Thursday July 13 - Sorcerers D23 Expo welcome. First day of the Expo where I'll get a sneak peak of the floor, do some shoping, and there is a pirates themed party that night.

Friday - July 14 Expo plus DCA

Saturday July 15 Expo plus DL

Sunday July 16 Expo plus DL

Monday July 17 go home

@rteetz just heads up this is where I'll be doing my live update (as long as that is okay) immediately after tweeting as well. Just thought you might want to know to be able to put up to date stuff on the official thread.

Alright so up and at them early. First stop mission break out. EMH is at 7 so hoping to leave the room soon so we csn get through securiry and hopefully be closer to the front of the line for that.

So got out of the room at 6:20ish and straight to CA. No one was at security so went through quickly. At turnstiles by 6:30. Stood around waiting. Probably 30 people in line. We were the 2nd family at our turnstile. At about 6:50 they started scanning us all in for entrance and taking pictures. Just fyi if they say you can scan from your ticket pdf from you phone they can but did didn't work for us. They had to put both ticket numbers in manually which was a slow process. So to help everyone just ask that they print it at the hotel if you didn't do it yourself.

So we got in around 7:00 on the dot due to the ticket backup so about 5 minutes of a stream of people not too bad. Went straight to Guardians and oddly you can now pull fastpass during EMH (was not the case 2 years ago). Since it was only a 5 minute wait we decided to let the masses have 2 more FP and just got in line. We were off by 7:15. Ride was really cool. It mixes film with the drops so can make some people queezier then normal. I emjoyed the redo more then my fiance but of course I never rode the original here only FL.
Next up Radiator Springs. Grabbed a FP on our walk over for 8:15. Got in standby line since it wasn't even 7:30 at that point. Wait was posted at 15. Just our luck after getting assigned our line the ride went down. It was down for 10-15 minutes but then got on the way. Ride really holds up and is still of top teir ride. Now having breakfast at Flos before going back to RSR.

Alright another update!

So after Flo's we went to do RSR a 2nd time with our FP but it was down. They let us know FPs for down attractions now become anytime FPs that can be used on any ride (except Mission Break Out) or for RSR so to just come back. We decided to start our loop and headed to Soarin. It was a 45 minute wait or an instant entrance with FP so we did the smart thing and grabbed a FP! I really enjoy the ride but the distortion from the sides does start to trick your brain especially in the Eiffel Tower scene. From Soarin we went and grabbed some Starbucks. Bodies are not responding to early morning plus long flight yesterday so taking it slow with lots of breaks. After coffee we headed to check out Super Heros and Monsters Inc. Spiderman looks great but Black Widdow was eh. Next up we met Stitch in the Visa Meet and Greet line. Super fun meet. After that we rode Monsters Inc. This ride does show its age a little but is still a great retelling of the first movie.

As I type we are in line for the noon showing of Frozen. No need to show up an hour early. 45-30 minutes is fine. They are slowly loading the theater now so confident we will get in and hopefully have decent seats.

Alright lunch time at Carnation so another Day 2 update. (Once I'm at my iPad I'll edit this to do the jump to a next day thing from the OP)

So Frozen is a great show. It should captivate younger audiences who know the story so is a great way to introduce kiddos to live theater. The Elsa we saw was fantastic. I loved her so much more than Indina Menzel. Anna was good but not as good as the Elsa.

After Frozen I dashed off to grab a screamin fastpass. Again an auto on so by the time my fiance caught up we got on. At that point it was 1:30 so time to head to Disneyland so we could get to our reservation at Carnation Cafe. As we were walking down main street Kat the horseless car deiver called out to us to come ride to the castle so we said why not we have time and have never done it before. I loved hearing the history of the cars and chatting with Kat. We got off and split up for a brief moment. I went to grab Indian Jones Fastpasses and he went to check us in for lunch. So here we sit eating. I got the chicken fried chicken and him the meatloaf.

It is only the 1st full day but I am sensing a trend, we tend to eat our way around Disney. Just so much good food.

Doing this update while we wait for our Riverbelle Terrece reservation.

To continue from earlier lunch at Carnation Cafe was good as always. My chicken was a little peppery but I figured it was due to the old fashion style. Not bad just not how I usually eat it. Fiance had the meatloaf and said it was dense but good. Lunch left us even more tired and feeling heavy and full so instead of riddig Indy we went back to the resort. While walking through DtD we stopped at Sanuk to pick him up a new pair of sandles and me some more stance socks since I didn't pack enough.

After that we headed to our room to put our feet up and rest. We did that for about an hour to an hour and a half and then went to the pool. Well before the pool I stopped by the front desk to let them know the wall where the sink is had writting on it and a piece of the headboard was missing. They appologized and took note so we wouldn't be charged. Once we got to the pool it took some time finding a seat but we finally did. We jumped in the pool, rested our soar muscles in the hot tub, and I rode both monorail slides. The slides were definitely fun!

We weren't at the pool too long (45 minutes to an hour) but decided we were ready to head back to the parks. We originally were going to ride the monorail to cut the initial walk but once we got up to the platform we realized why the wait was 20 minutes for something that runs every 5. A lot of people were using it as an attraction so nobody got off at DtD. We decided to walk instead. Once on maint street we realized we hadn't eaten and really wanted a table service so checked what was available. Luckily River Belle Terrece was available. It is something we had for later in the week but was causing some scheduling conflicts so nice to try it and not have to rush! I'm currently watching the Indy FP tick a litte further past fireworks end time so we can cap our night off with it.

Alright finishing up day 2.

Dinner ended up being meh after starting out strong. We didn't even get to try dessert because with out us asking our waitress assumed we were done and closed out our tab. Frustrating but we took it as a sign to get beignets and well Ryno's instagram inspired us for some Mint Julips. First we rode pirates since it was only 10 minutes.

After that fun we wandered lost trying to get to Its A Small World for fireworks. By the time we would get somewhere we would realize we had autopiloted based on Magic Kingdom which is not right at all! With a few minutes to spare we found a viewing spot in Fronteirland that the CM said was perfect. Sadly something was up and you could not hear the show. So a couple minutes in we decided to walk to fantasyland. Once we got to the carousel again no music. :( At that point we decided just to enjoy the blasts. Something definitely was wrong with the speakers in the area.

After the fireworks we finally rode Indy. I got tge front seat at the wheel thus fulfilling a Disneyland wish of mine. The ride is still incredibly fun. The extreme front side or back sides are always the best spots too.

Then we headed back to the room but first decided to cancel our early breakfast tomorrow and grab some zs to be fully ready for the expo.

Day 3 expo day 1

So we got up at about 8 today. The kids next door were super load this morning but we were up so no biggie. We hadn't heard them all day yesterday but today it sounded like they were all standing at the sink talking.

Left the room at 8:30-8:45 and headed to breakfast. We decided the quick service here (Tonga Terrece I thibk) sounded good. I got the breakfast wrap with out avocado and him regular. Food is decent quick service and portion is large. We could have easily split if I had wanted avocado. My only complaint is there are no ice coffee drinks here only hot so if you want something iced you have to go to the coffe shop. No biggie and I gladly did it while he waited for our food but with ice coffee coming bagged now it isn't hard to add for the summer.

We are wrapping up now and about to head to the convention center.

Alright got to expo around 9:30 and got checked in. We sat in the lounge after grabbing drinks and got updates. Some issues on the floor so we were held for a bit. Only 30 minutes behind schedule so no biggie. They also let Sorcerers know we will get in first every day before the general admission line but not getting hopes up for that.

After the intro and update we got in line to go on the show floor tour. It wasn't much but we just got walked around and told where everything was we didn't get to see any exhibits.

Next Dream Store and we got everything we wanted and then to Mickey's of Glendale. I spent way too much but got so much great stuff. They didn't have the pin store open so that saved my pocket a little. Now in line for the Disney Store to get that Oswald plush hehe.

Ok after the Disney Store bumble we got our goodie bags then headed to the resort. The goodie bag is awesome. The bag itself is smaller than I thought but that's fine. Inside was a Disney Monopoly, the plastic tsum tsum stacker, some stitch sunglasses, some there random small things like pins etc, this cool robot toy (I forget the name but I've been eyeing one), a pop, and stuff I can't remember now.

After a quick stop in the room we headed to meet my friend at DtD. We had lunch and hung out and caught up. We haven't seen each other since September so awesome we were here the same weekend (completely unplanned).

At 6 we headed back to the room again to refresh then leave for our pirate party at the Expo!

The party was a lot of fun. We got to go into the archives that is Pirates themed this year. It is better than some museums I've been in. After that we went to Marvel Studios and then I helped paint a mural for Disney Volunteers. From there we went to the roof to see the Disneyland fireworks which was an so much fun. I love unique ways to see the fireworks. On the way up we got passport holders from Aulani/Adventures by Disney and a popcorn bucket from D23.

We cabbed back to the hotel to drop stuff and fiance is now at a movie and I'm at Disneylan.

Aright what a day. So hoped off fhe monorail and straight to Matterhorn. Grabbed a fastpass and it was auto return so rode as Main Street Electrical Parade was going on. From Matterhorn I wanted to do Buzz. Same situarion but not being familiar with that area I grabbed a Space Tours FP by mistake. No problem though because Buzz was only 5 minutes so I waited for Buzz. I forget it is different and much prefer this version (except it needs more targets). After Buzz I used my Star Tours FP. From there Pinocchio. I don't think I had done Pinocchio before and man it is weird and scary. At this point it was super late so I walked to the monorail to help cut some of the exit walk down. On pulled up as I was going up the ramp and thankfully I was the last let on. I hadn't eaten a full meal since 4 so was very hungry. I grabbed some Earl of Samdwhich and walked to room where I promotly fell into bed.

Regular Expo Day 1 Sorcerer's Expo Day 2.

Disney Legend's Ceremony

Animation

Last edited:
The craziest meal I've ever had at a Disney Property!

So after Animation panel we went up to get my bag from bag check and drop it off at the room in order to meet our friend at Carthy Circle. The reservation was at 5:30 but since parks ran a little over and those darn green balloons caused everyone to take forever to leave plus waiting in line to ask about Fantasmic! In the lounge made us a little late we got there at about 5:45. For the first time ever we were seated outside. It was not fun. Had inside been available we would have asked to be moved and if it was only us we would have just left but since we were with our friends we didn't want to make a fuss. Two of us unfortunately were in the direct sun and heat. I took one for the team for half the meal and then between apps and entree my friend and I swapped. Even in the "shade" my fiancé was sweating. Not too long after my friend and I swapped disaster struck. While serving him his second drink (was their non-alcoholic special) the girl bringing the drinks spilled her entire tray on my friend! Not only did it have the sugary lemonade drink but it also had a cup of milk. The way it was handled was also disasterous. For the most part they tried to laugh it off. My friend had to actually ask for napkins so he could try to clean himself up so he didn't have to leave dinner. It took far more time then what seemed right for a manager to come talk to him. It wasn't until he decided to get up and go try to wash some of it off of him that our waiter and the girl who spilt the drinks on him started to move. The manager caught him on his way back from the bathroom and asked what they could do. His response was for starts some new clothes. So the manager ran off to get him shorts but forgot to ask what size so came back and asked. The found him a pair of khakis but because of the parade couldn't get him a new polo shirt so he got a no string paper for the polo shirt. The worst part of it all was we didn't realize he had gotten the full cup of milk as well until he started to smell while trying to finish dinner. Unfortunately they an hour of their park time because they had to go back to the hotel shower and change before coming back for Fantasmic. This also cut our time together as we had planned to ride a ride between dinner and Fantasmic. My friend didn't make a big deal of it but I was very close to speaking to the manager. It isn't often we get to be in Disneyland together so that lost hour really cut into our bonding time. Maybe we'll just have to plan a Disneyland trip together. Our dishes this time also were not that great. Both I had were over powered with hot spice even though I mentioned I didn't like spice when asking for a recommendation since my first choice was axed by suggestion of the waitress. Before we left I went to the bathroom and that is when I found out why we were outside and had what seemed to be the B team. The main restaurant was full of the celebrities and Disney executives and important people from at least the animation panel but could have been both. It took a lot of me to go back into NYer mode and not stop and talk to Josh Gadd or Kristen Bell! On our way out my fiancé noticed a lot of directors and other people I'm not as familiar with.

From here we split ways so my friend could shower and we slowly went to get in line for the world of color dessert party. I must say I'm not sure if I could see WOC any other way. We got a second row seat but were in front of the smaller tables so had no problems seeing what so ever. The desserts were delicious and the mom and (adult) daughter we sat next to were lovely. The tart (the polka dot thing in the photo below) was my favorite. I also appreciated the grapes. We both had the blue alcoholic drink and had I been in the mood to knock a few back I could have because it was sweet and barely tasted like alcohol. View attachment 255792

Here was our view. View attachment 255793 View attachment 255794 View attachment 255795

After world of color we rode Ariel since it was a walk on and the crowds would thin out. We had planned to meet back up with our friends but unfortunately the Carthy Cirle incident really put my friends partner in a bad mood so they rode 1 ride then headed out for the night. They had been at the parks all day and were done plus they were flying home the next day.

We rode Matterhorn and oddly had no clue it can be a wet ride now! I rode it on my own now problem the night before but when my fiancé and I rode it this night at the final drop into the water and loading area our entire car of 6 (or is it 5 however many fit) got soaked. To make matter worse the CM decided to pull our car off the track because they were worried we wouldn't be able to unload quick enough since the car before us took awhile to load and it would create a back log or stop. So we sat there for 5 minutes soaking wet. Not fun and not happy and again CM laughed it off. They offered to let us reride be we wanted off. My fiancé was not looking to get soaked a 2nd time.

After Matterhorn we rode Star Tours and Buzz then took the monorail back to DTD. Tomorrowland ended up being our best friend this trip haha.

Last edited:
@wilkeliza No way, your room at the DLH had writing on the wall too? Just as we were checking out Monday I realized someone had written something on the wall, but it had been scrubbed off (lipstick or lip gloss or something) - I could not read it, although I really tried. :rotfl:

I'm reading along :) Sounds like so far you had a great Sorcerer's experience. So were you one of the first in line for the Disney store on Saturday morning to get Oswald?

Are you going to finish?

@wilkeliza No way, your room at the DLH had writing on the wall too? Just as we were checking out Monday I realized someone had written something on the wall, but it had been scrubbed off (lipstick or lip gloss or something) - I could not read it, although I really tried. :rotfl:

Yep couldn't read ours either need to update with photos.

I'm reading along :) Sounds like so far you had a great Sorcerer's experience. So were you one of the first in line for the Disney store on Saturday morning to get Oswald?

Are you going to finish?

I am going to finish. I got a bad cold this weekend so could barely focus. Will try to do more tonight.

Alright let's continue!

Saturday I woke up bright and early at 6 am to get ready and head over to the Expo. I was about halfway back in the sorcerer's line (someone counted I think I was 112) and ended up next to the wonderful couple I met from New York and the wonderful lady form Texas I met on Thursday (Sorry I can't remember your names say hi if you are here!). We chatted and then after not too long we were lead onto the show floor at like 8:45. I went straight over to Disney store and got all the Oswald stuff I wanted. After that it was off to meet my fiance and wander the show floor. Live Action was the first panel for the day so went and got our seats. Seeing the Infinity Wars cast was mind blowing. The scale of that movie is going to be insane. Also life long dream fulfilled to hear Oprah say "You get a ____ and You get a ____ and You get a ____" sure it was just a poster but man she can make you think anything is gold when she does that. The head of D23 later told us that was completely off the cuff and Oprah did it on her own. She clearly knows her brand.

After live action my fiance and I were going to check out the set up outside the expo and grab some food but I realized I wanted to do Level up the gaming panel. I had to run from the lounge back to Expo hall so I didn't miss it. With 5 minutes to spare I was seated in the 2nd row. I was not there for anything but Kingdom Hearts but left really wanting to play Battlefront 2. The AR experience sounds like it is going to be fun but IDK about the VR multiplayer marvel game on Oculus. It isn't making me rush out to get one that's for sure but I do kind of want to test it out. Now the stuff I was there for Kingdom Hearts 3. The 20th anniversary of the game is crazy to think about since it was one of the first video games I remember. My brothers and I have bonded over them for 20 years crazy! So the known announcement was the world and well they did not disappoint. We are finally going to see Pixar in KH where Sora, Donald, and Goofy will become toys and help the Toy Story crew find their friends. The key blade and special weapons look fun. Then an announcement I wasn't expecting at all. We finally got a partial date for KH3 release. I thought the room was going to blow when they saw coming 2018. There were clearly a few people who came to the expo just for this panel and to see the passion was great. I left the panel once it was clear they were done because it was starting to run over. They were doing some big toy story thing when I left. I grabbed my free posters (a battlefront and a KH) then grabbed some food quickly.

From there I went up to the lounge to meet my fiance and we then went to the panel we were all waiting for the Parks and Resorts panel.

When we arrived to parks and resort we were happy to see we had pretty good seats. I wish I had done this one in real time but it is so hard to post here, twitter, and be present in the moment (something I am trying to do more). So for anyone who is interested here's a copy of my twitter feed from the panel!

Panel is starting with a musical parks promo. #d23expo

Bob Chapek takes the stage. #d23expo

DEzxm6lV0AAMEY9.jpg

Taking time to shout out all Cast Members. #d23expo

Look back of previous year. #d23expo

All attendees getting a pin set of one pin from each park. #d23expo (I was wrong on that one it was 1 pin from a set of pins not the whole set)

Star Wars lands set to be a bar above Pandora. #d23expo

Millennium Falcon ride will be similar to mission space based on description.

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is Star Wars Land name.

Rex will be in Star Wars land with a new job.

Scott Trowbridge takes the stage to give more information.

What you do in rides will affect experience in the land.

Slightly different times for opening. Disneyland first then WDW in 2019.

Talking about Mickey wonder what's coming .....

Mickey And Minnie's Runaway Railway coming to Hollywood Studios

Attraction poster #d23expo

DEz2HdfU0AAZlEs.jpg

Ride will be 3D with no glasses required. They are calling it 2 1/2 3D.

Mickey and Minnie's will have the most hidden Mickey's of any attraction.

50th anniversary talk for WDW.

About to peak at work Epcot will get.

Making it more timeless, more family, more Disney. (Talking about Epcot)

Tom Fitzgerald is overseeing Epcot overhaul.

Ratatouille official going into France pavillion behind the current area.

China pavilion will get brand new movie.

Seamless circle vision in China pavilion.

Epcot new design. Holy hell I can't wait. #d23expo

DEz6LvRUQAAbCAz.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy in Future World official.

Guardians come to Epcot because Peter Quill visited as a kid.

Mission Space will get brand new mission for green side.

Younger kids will be able to ride green side.

Brand new table service near mission space that will allow you to dine in space. #d23expo

DEz65LGU0AAJHf1.jpg

They said this is all just the tip of the iceberg.

Magic Kingdom is getting Tron.

Tron will not get rid of anything. Will be in new space. #d23expo

DEz7UnEVYAAq4Nw.jpg

All announcements are slated to be done by 50th anniversary.

Hotel New York the Art of Marvel for Disneyland Paris.

Multi-day Star Wars experience hotel will be at Walt Disney World.

Will be able to dress up.

Disney Riviera will be at WDW and have views of Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

Walt Disney World getting point to point transportation with Minnie Mouse vans.

The gondolas are official official. Called Disney Skyliners.

New theater coming to Magic Kingdom on Main Street USA.

Beauty and the Beast based off of live action movie will be on the Dream in November.

Cruise line information coming.

Disney Cruise Line adding another ship for a total of 7!

Toy Story Land opening summer 2018.

Disneyland Resort will get Pixar Fest in 2018 with new offerings and the return of Paint the Night.

John Lasseter comes to talk about Pixar in the parks.

Paradise Pier will become Pixar Pier summer 2018.

Carsland will get a halloween overlay this year.

Baby Groot came to talk to us. #d23expo

DE0Bl4bUAAAA4ZX.jpg

Spider-Man and the Avengers will be at California Adventure in some sort of attraction experience.

Fantasmic! viewing for those here today.

4 showings between tonight and tomorrow night for D23 goers.

So as you can see I was trying to tweet as fast as I could. I actually ended up correcting some spelling for posting here. The panel definitely left us on a high and I'll say the 3 main excitements I had coming out of it. One "my" park Epcot will be getting and incredible overhaul. I can't wait to see all the changes and if 2 new rides, a restaurant, and some refurbs of old favorite is just the tip of the iceberg I can't wait to find out the rest. We probably will finally buy DVC when the new property opens up. It is just right where we love to be and views of Epcot and DHS had us sold. Finally I can't wait for the 50th. Looks like WDW as a whole is going to get a lot of love in the next 4 years.

After the panel we headed to pick up our wristbands for Fantasmic. The line was insane and so we decided he why don't we go ask at the sorcerers lounge if they can help. Sure enough we get upstairs and one of the fantastic guest relations cms manning the lounge told us if we were okay for 10:30pm on Sunday we could just come back in the morning and get our bands that was we didn't have to sleep with them on or shower with them on. Perfect for us so we headed to meet our friends in Disneyland

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!