Disneyland Resorts Marvel expansion opens July 18th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been talking about this on the DL board. I think they will re-use the theater for a Marvel themed show to get an attraction with no height requirement, and that there will be one other ride put in, that probably won't be a roller-coaster, but maybe a simulator type thing. Those are just my guesses.

I'm going in this direction as well. I'm not holdimg my breath for anything as awesome as a coaster. Not yet anyway. Maybe by 2023 or something.

They had Dr. Strange and Star Lord doing meet and greets at the Race Retreat for the Marathon this year. So between that and Epcot's Guardians ride I think its a matter if not when we get Marvel proper on the East Coast.

The thing is BOG and 7DMT are based on classic movies. There popular because everyone knows them. Most people kids and adults know the movies.

Bug's Life? Not so much. My generation would since it came out when I was a kid but depending on the person and their family the likelihood they've seen Bug's Life probably decreases. Especially if they're not really into Disney. Heck I know some adults who are into Disney don't know what Bug's Life is. Like it or not Bug's Life really doesn't fit as a classic popular movie.
Looks like I'll never see Flik again.:sad:

I am upset by this announcement. Yes Bugs Land was aimed at younger kids, but it was the only place in California Adventure specifically for very young children. I like Cars Land too but it has height requirements for all of its rides. The splash area was a great place for little kids to cool off. I doubt any of the new Marvel rides will be aimed at young kids. I've taken my 5 year old to California Adventure 4 times, and each time we spent A LOT of time at Bugs Land.

From what I’ve gathered a lot of people are looking forward to this but lamenting the loss of Heimlich’s Chew Chew Trai. After watching the POV I don’t blame them

I just found out that during the construction of Pixar Pier, I notice there's a face of Flik on the construction wall. Maybe there's a chance Flik might meet 'n' greet there after a bugs land is gone.:-)

One thing I’ve heard people speculate online is Flik’s Flyers will be relocated and returned as the Inside Out attraction in the concept art. Considering it didn’t close yesterday does make me curious if this will be a late addition a la the carousel

One thing I’ve heard people speculate online is Flik’s Flyers will be relocated and returned as the Inside Out attraction in the concept art. Considering it didn’t close yesterday does make me curious if this will be a late addition a la the carousel
Likely. The pier has been stated to be a multi phase project.

They had Dr. Strange and Star Lord doing meet and greets at the Race Retreat for the Marathon this year. So between that and Epcot's Guardians ride I think its a matter if not when we get Marvel proper on the East Coast.
Nope the guardians, doctor strange and big hero six are all we can get east of the Mississippi (possibly also captain marvel though not 100%)

It seems to me that "Tough to Be a Bug" plot would be a perfect size to relocate the motion simulators currently being used at Star Tours in Disneyland and retheme it to Avengers/HK Iron Man ride. But that would mean 2 of the rides in the land wouldn't be original and instead just re-themed.

OK, I'll be odd man out. BLECH. I'm so over all these recently acquired IP stuff! Give me some classic Disney please! This is fast becoming Universal to me. And I haven't been to Universal in over a decade. Only now to get to the older classic Disney stuff I love, I'll be swimming upstream against ever increasing crowds. :(
THANK YOU! I am so "meh" on Marvel. I knew this announcement was coming but still...wahhh :(

California Adventure is (was?) my favorite park and between ToT, Paradise/Pixar Pier, and now this, I feel like it is, like you said, morphing into Universal. Don't like it!

The wording that the land will be "anchored" by Mission Breakout is telling. That term means that the tower will be the land's major ride. Like malls have "anchor stores" which are the major stores that bring people to the mall. Everything else is just filler.

True, but it's the Icon/Symbol (TOT) for all of DHS currently.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/destinations/hollywood-studios/

I could see some RNR type attraction playing second fiddle there as well. Hoping anyway.

True, but it's the Icon/Symbol (TOT) for all of DHS currently.

I could see some RNR type attraction playing second fiddle there as well. Hoping anyway.

TOT at WDW is very different. It's not the anchor for a land over there.

In this case, the most direct comparison is calling Radiator Springs Racers the anchor for Cars Land, or Big Thunder Mountain the anchor to Frontierland. Anchor, in Disney speak, means "most major attraction."

Now, if the press release said "Anchored on ONE END by Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout" we could be having a much more interesting speculative conversation right now.

TOT at WDW is very different. It's not the anchor for a land over there.

I know-its for the entire park. Point is it's a pretty celebrated attraction, certainly a viable anchor of a land IMO.

Should be waving it at Disney. Universal didn't do anything wrong. :)
Disney didn’t own Marvel at the time. I think New World Entertainment owned them. Or some combination of Perelman and Icahn anyway.

But yes, not Universal's fault. Hard to turn down what I presume was a very favourable contract that lasts forever.

OK, I'll be odd man out. BLECH. I'm so over all these recently acquired IP stuff!
Not to be whatever but what it’s replacing in California is another “acquired IP”
Nope the guardians, doctor strange and big hero six are all we can get east of the Mississippi (possibly also captain marvel though not 100%)
I heard it’s a possibility for Black Panther as well. Apparently from what I’ve read Disney and Universal have been meeting over the fine print over the heroes that have only been represented in Marvel Super Hero Island as a small picture on the bolts outside across from Spider-Man. Heard Black Panther was one of those as well as not counted in the “avengers” family when marvel signed that contract

Double posting because I saw this after my last post:
Should be waving it at Disney. Universal didn't do anything wrong. :)

Disney didn’t own Marvel at the time. I think New World Entertainment owned them. Or some combination of Perelman and Icahn anyway.

But yes, not Universal's fault. Hard to turn down what I presume was a very favourable contract that lasts forever.
They technically didn’t do anything wrong, suspicious username :p (only teasing because universal is in your username and how you worded it). I just say that because it’s so awkward and confusing with the marvel contract and them.

I do want to add that Marvel was literally on the verge of bankruptcy and were quickly pawning off rights to everything just to keep the company afloat. They sold the movie rights to a lot of studios how never ended up using them, Thor, Captain America, Deadpool and Black Panther for example were all licensed to Artisan pictures but since they never used it they got back to marvel. That being said I’m not sure how favorable the contract was, when it sounded more of desperation to stay alive on marvels end for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter