Disneyland show?

To be clear, I'm not writing it off at all. I am sharing my constructive thoughts on what I've seen, based off what the stated goal of the show was. I will continue to watch, as I assume they will be tweaking this new format for a bit. But I do hope Pete takes some of our constructive thoughts into consideration.

Wasn't referring to you. But people who are like "OH MY WORST FEARS HAVE BEEN REALIZED BECAUSE IT'S ALL COMPARING THE TWO PARTS" need to chill and let the show develop. Nothing, not even the show they loved, is perfect right out of the gate. It might take weeks or months or longer for the show to find its footing and figure out what it's going to be.

The new show is good but the problem is the cast will never be able to bring the knowledge that the old cast brought to the show and time is not going to change that. Pete owns a travel company and has been going to Disneyland for years but he has lived in Florida so its just not possible for him to know that much about Disneyland. The other members of the cast seem nice and knowledgable about current events but they just have not been alive long enough to know that much. At one point they talked about a cartoon they watched in the 90s when they were kids. The old podcast all lived in California and had been regularly going to Disneyland for many, many years. Dare I say longer than most of the new cast has been alive. I really enjoyed their perspective and history they brought to the old show much more and wish Pete would reconsider things. Or maybe have this new show on video with the new cast, but keep the old podcast with the old cast the way it was. And this is not to knock the new cast. Its just they can't frame things within the historical context in the manner the old cast did that I enjoyed much more.

As long as you don't have someone ban me. :tilt:

Better idea is for you to come out to Disneyland :upsidedow

Excuse me your not going to be on the show? This will not work for me.

I enjoyed the show but I just don’t feel any chemistry with the two new people they might be great people but no chemistry or witty banter.

Peter Michael Bowling Craig Mary Jo and Ryno should round out that cast.

Am I the only one that felt like the old show did exactly that? I mean, they had whole shows dedicated to helping people plan (we were one of them!). We come from the east coast - the old show, as it was, helped us in our planning immeasurably (even just listening week to week, not just referencing the segment where the team helped us specifically).
Having just taken our first trip to DL the information I gathered from listening to the prior version of the show was invaluable. I’m still working through this new version but it doesn’t have the same fun vibe for helping you learn about the park. The less structured version really allowed for what felt like actual discussion as opposed to the more structured version of the Disney World show. Since the parks are so different it was nice that the shows were different as well.

The less structured version really allowed for what felt like actual discussion as opposed to the more structured version of the Disney World show. Since the parks are so different it was nice that the shows were different as well.

That is a good point. The old show felt more like a conversation amongst friends and this one feels more like they are hitting a list of bullet points. It seems much more scripted which can at times feel less than genuine.

That is a good point. The old show felt more like a conversation amongst friends and this one feels more like they are hitting a list of bullet points. It seems much more scripted which can at times feel less than genuine.

I've listened to a handful of the DL shows over the years and much prefer a more structured format, like the new show. Too often – and maybe I just tuned in for bad episodes – no one really knew what to say and there was a lot of uhs and ums and blank space ... "I didn't write it down, does anyone know anything about this?" ... other people trying to fill the gaps in. I love all the personalities on the DL show, so I hope they make an appearance on the new one as often as possible.

Last edited:

Have to hit this point. In the new episode they talked about the new hotel, and just made some vague speculative guesses for 10 minutes.
Over 7 months ago the old team went over the same hotel, with far more details discussing projected tax revenue for Anaheim, the businesses affected, room inventory, the affect on family favorites, the new walkways connecting all 4 hotels, the new water features, the different levels of the concept art for rooms, shopping, rooftop dining, firework viewing, parking changes, affects on convention space, security, etc. Michael and Tony discussed the historical monorail set up at the DLH. Michael discussed an old Eisner plan being possibly revisited that made a lot of sense, rumors on the name and I still think he called it. Michael used the words ugly and hideous and it was hilarious.
Comparing those 25 minutes of detailed scrutiny of every road, path and bldg in the concept art to the 10 minute of bullet points of “I guess we’ll see” sums up the difference SO well. Oh my gosh I miss the old cast. I guess it’s a personal preference.
10/29/17 second episode 28:20 in, lasts about 25 minutes.

Last edited:
I've listened to a handful of the DL shows over the years and much prefer a more structured format, like the new show. Too often – and maybe I just tuned in for bad episodes – no one really knew what to say and there was a lot of uhs and ums and blank space ... "I didn't write it down, does anyone know anything about this?" ... other people trying to fill the gaps in. I love all the personalities on the DL show, so I hope they make an appearance on the new one as often as possible.
A “handful” of old DLR shows? Hmm.

Many of us DLR podcast vets loved the casual Sunday night vibe. Didn’t mind the uh’s and um’s. Not in the least.

I think we are all grieving the blue hour. The DL team was great at integrating the mixlr crew. Now I believe the only time we can chat live is during the Orlando Show. :upsidedow We used to have the DL show and Universal show to chat. I wonder how many peeps were attracted to those shows for the opportunity to live chat with each other. I really enjoyed the relaxed feel of the DL podcast. Their podcasts were very rich in history of the park. That helped me understand more of what Walt thought was important. (I was a cast member too and didn't know some of the history they shared. The DL Podcast also was the thing that made me interested in learning more about the history behind the parks. Thanks Micheal!

I guess many people that listened to the DL podcast didn't think anything was wrong with the podcast in the first place. I liked the fact that there were differences in the way that the Disney World and Disneyland podcasts were done. I will freely admit that I don't like change so that may be part of the reason that I'm not happy with the new podcast. I really miss the old team but I will try to give the new podcast a chance. I do like the new team but just wish some of the old team were still involved too.

I do think that there is one way we can show what we like in the shows we watch. If you aren't happy with a podcast you don't have to watch it and at some point if the numbers aren't as good maybe they will decide to go back to the other format. I know that the DIS Team usually will listen to feedback.

I liked the Blue hour but I loved that first ten minutes as everyone popped on when they were streaming but not yet recording interacting directly with the fans and making last minute preparations. They were always really nice to us. I think it was also a good reminder they were regular people with regular jobs. I let the little fubs go when they stumble because I always learned so much.

As someone who comes from the east coast to tour DL as much as possible, I really liked the new format...It always take a few shows to really find your Groove (just watch the first few Seinfelds lol)...but all things considered definite thumbs up on the Premiere!!

I liked the new show quite a bit. I think Tyler and Katrina are great additions to the team.

This might not go over well but here goes. There was something about the DL podcast that never clicked with me. It always came across as very dry and at times dull. However when the DL team would show up on a camera, they were just like the WDW team very personable and engaging for the viewer. So I hope the old team is put in the regular rotation for the show because I think being on camera can help them grow.

I just got out off a conference call. There were four of us on the call. Only three of us were in the same room, the fourth calling in remotely.

And the conversation was filled with awkward silences and pauses.

So I can't even imagine how tough it must have been to do a weekly show where NO TWO PEOPLE were in the same room. In fact, I think they did pretty well under those challenging circumstances. I understand what people are saying about it, but I think it was way more a result of the setup than of the personalities involved.

A “handful” of old DLR shows? Hmm.

Probably a dozen over the years. Certainly more episodes than the new show has, which people have already decided is bad.

Then again, people were up in arms over the freaking logo, so some people just will never be happy.

I spent many years listening to the old show like many of you and miss some features of the old team and like some features of the new team. I definitely have an open mind to this change.

However, I am thrilled that Pete is the host and moderating the discussion. He knows what questions to ask, how to include everyone present, how to rant, how to give solid opinions at the right time. I also love that Rino gives his perspective as a Florida resident who LOVES DLR. Overall, I think this was the best decision that Pete could have made regarding the DL show.

I just finished the show and I did like the same but different segment. I think one of the great things about the parks is that there wasn’t a desire to build carbon copies (although I’m afraid that is slowly going away) so it’s nice for someone planning a trip to know not to skip something just because the ride is in both parks.

However as stated previously the discussion on the hotel was inadequate at best and if the desire is to make it a “planning” show is a conversation about coffee mugs going to push someone to make that reservation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!