RobRichardson180

Earning My Ears
My family and I are heading to Disneyland in September this year for the first time and are currently deep into guidebooks and vlogs and all of that kind of thing, but as veterans of Walt Disney World, we already know (and regularly do) many of the things that are advised in the books. I figured that this would be the best place to ask for some real tips and help with planning our vacation!

My question is, what would YOU say to someone heading on their first trip to Disneyland, when they already know their way around WDW? What's similar, what's different, what's a must-do, what could we miss out if we don't have time, where should we eat, where should we avoid, where should we watch shows from...anything at all will be super useful :D

We're going for three days: currently planning on one day at DL, one day in DCA and one day between the two doing whatever we've missed/want to do again. We've got MaxPass too, but any tips on this would be great too as it differs quite a lot from the current process with MDE at WDW.

Looking forward to your comments!!

... what would YOU say to someone heading on their first trip to Disneyland, when they already know their way around WDW?...
First thing: read this classic thread, A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- SO many great threads found here!
From that sticky: HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- look through this thread for great information! -- many, many helpful threads!
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- it's not about on or off site at DLR -- it's all about being close walking distance to the park gates! You can do this being on and off site!
For MP/FP information, read this very helpful thread, Maxpass/Fastpass Superthread: an overview and some strategy. Ask any MP questions there! It sounds like you won't be park hopping until your third day? Hopping is SO easy at DLR -- the parks are just minutes apart (the length of a football field!) -- so if you have park hoppers, don't be afraid to hop all three days!
For the other questions:
World of Color Superthread -- study the first post (especially the map!) and ask any WOC questions in that thread!
F! is the better show at DL (while WDW has better seating!) -- the dining packages have the best views with the least wait time -- standby viewing can't really compare -- look at HB, RBT, and BB ($, $$, $$$ in that order).
Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 2 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-3* -- ask any Boarding Group/ROTR questions here!
New SWGE Superthread! Now Open to All! (6/24/2019) -- ask all your SWGE questions here!
First timer must have foods or snacks -- self explanatory!
** Official** September 2020 Check-In -- join this thread to keep up with news and events for your trip dates! When in September are you visiting? Halloween Time should start around 9/11 (no official start date announced yet). The OBB should start around the third week of the month (no dates announced yet). HM will go down sometime around the third week of August for the Halloween overlay installation and come back for the first day of Halloween Time. See here: Halloween Time Superthread 2020: Oogie's Back!! And Other Halloween Time Information.
Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread -- ask all related questions here!
LMTC Disneyland tickets no longer available?/UPDATE: Now Available by Phone! -- very good information on discount tickets and authorized discount vendors found here (look over the last several pages for the most recent info). If the discount vendors are recommended here, they are legit!

... We're going for three days: currently planning on one day at DL, one day in DCA and one day between the two doing whatever we've missed/want to do again...
As I mentioned above, if you have park hopper tickets, there is no need to save your hopping for your third day. And park hopping lets you use MP to your full advantage -- you can get FPs for one park while you're still in the other park! Very convenient! DLR regulars park hop just for food, not just rides! The two parks are more like one big park, so don't think that hopping will be difficult. Also, with your 3 day tickets (purchased in advance, not at the ticket booths), you should get one Magic Morning (MM). Will you be staying on or off site? If you'll be off site, that one MM will give you one hour early entry to DL (FL and TL only) on a Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday only. (If you stay on site, you'll have EMH on those days to DL and EMH to DCA the other days of the week.)

These posts from another thread (and the attached photo) address the inevitable "Sleeping Beauty's castle vs. Cinderella's castle" question. ;)

Dr.Mickey said:
I do have a bit of a funny to add. Of course, one of the biggest complaints you will hear from some WDW people is that the castle is so small. Well, it is... But that became our family joke every time we finished the next awesome thing. After riding Hyperspace Mtn, which blows away the one at WDW, it was “yeah, but the castle is small”. RSR is an awesome ride, but the castle is small. What’s great is that we LOVED the fireworks, especially Nemo trying to go through the ring of fire. And of course, that is right under the “small” castle. I think the best thing about the small castle is that our room in DLH had a picture of Walt standing under the castle. I think that’s good enough for me. :)
theluckyrabbit said:
So glad you and your family had a great trip! We love that photo of Walt and his castle! The size of SBC makes much more sense when you realize that at DL, the Matterhorn is our visual focal point, not the castle. We are used to getting our visual bearings from that snow capped peak. And when you stand back and see SBC with the Matterhorn rising up behind, things make sense. Because how many castles do you know that are bigger than an alp?! :)

(HT: Google)
View attachment 414263

My family and I are heading to Disneyland in September this year for the first time and are currently deep into guidebooks and vlogs and all of that kind of thing, but as veterans of Walt Disney World, we already know (and regularly do) many of the things that are advised in the books. I figured that this would be the best place to ask for some real tips and help with planning our vacation!

My question is, what would YOU say to someone heading on their first trip to Disneyland, when they already know their way around WDW? What's similar, what's different, what's a must-do, what could we miss out if we don't have time, where should we eat, where should we avoid, where should we watch shows from...anything at all will be super useful :D

We're going for three days: currently planning on one day at DL, one day in DCA and one day between the two doing whatever we've missed/want to do again. We've got MaxPass too, but any tips on this would be great too as it differs quite a lot from the current process with MDE at WDW.

Looking forward to your comments!!
Glad to see some of my posts linked above. :goodvibes

A few more thoughts...

1. Here is another post of mine that I do not see above that should help: "Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/

2. While it is almost impossible to actually do, try hard not to compare DLR to WDW at every turn. Keep an open mind. Yes, DL has a smaller castle. But it also has the original Disney mountain "Matterhorn", circa 1959. DLR vets have always been more "mountain centric" than WDW vets, who tend to be more "castle centric". Yes, DL has Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain RR in the "wrong" place. Ooops, wait! HM and BTMRR were built first at DL. Uhh, so technically speaking it is MK who has them in the "wrong" place! ;)

3. A broad generalization, but WDW vets tend to be "resort focused" while DLR vets tend to be "park focused". That is why you will often see DLR vets go on their first trip to WDW and all their critical comments revolve around the WDW parks. On the other hand, WDW vets at DLR tend to have critical comments about DLR as a resort. My advice? Embrace the DLR parks first and foremost, as they are the strength of DLR. Do not get bogged down in the resort and/or the "Disney bubble" (or lack of bubble).

:wizard:

...3. A broad generalization, but WDW vets tend to be "resort focused" while DLR vets tend to be "park focused". That is why you will often see DLR vets go on their first trip to WDW and all their critical comments revolve around the WDW parks. On the other hand, WDW vets at DLR tend to have critical comments about DLR as a resort. My advice? Embrace the DLR parks first and foremost, as they are the strength of DLR. Do not get bogged down in the resort and/or the "Disney bubble" (or lack of bubble).

:wizard:

This usually seems like the most brought up point and HydroGuy’s explanation here is the best way I’ve seen it explained. 👍🏼

One thing I’ll add is that while we have general ideas around the differences between sites, what’s really important is knowing what you are expecting from your trip to Disneyland.
Are the Resort amenities actually important to you?
Do you like parades/shows or are more about the rides? What about character interactions
How important is it to have the whole day/trip planned vs. going with the flow of things?
Is it the curiosity of a different park that is the reason for coming west, or something else? If something else, what is it?

for example, my primary modivations for visiting Paris Disneyland were:

Experiencing the different take on the classic E-Ticket attractions
Seeing the way certain aspects of DL’s past were reinvented (Capt. Hook’s pirate ship, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Frontierland)
Checking it off my Bucket list

I wasn’t super impressed with the food there but it wasn’t something I went there for so it was easy for me to look past. I definitely experienced what I wanted when I visited because I knew what I was looking for and kept my focus. If I get to have a 2nd trip over there, that’s when I’ll expand beyond what I went for the first time, and see what else I can experience that maybe I wasn’t looking for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter