Disneyland with a Large 2 year Old

AaronEuth

Mouseketeer
DVC Gold
We are taking my son to Disney for his third birthday, but to save a bit of money we plan on going the week prior to his actual birthday when he is still 2.

Should we carry his birth certificate on us every day as proof of age? Would a photocopy do? I'd rather not have his actual embossed certificate on splash mountain.

He has always been in the 99th percentile for his age, so I expect to have to prove he is 2 at every turnstile and fastpass return line. For reference he is almost 39 inches at 2 years 4 months. So with 8 months left until the trip, he is already about the height of the average 4 year old, and taller than most 3 year olds.

My son has always been tall for his age. He hit 40 inches before his third birthday. No one ever asked for proof of his age although I was asked a few times how old he was and when his birthday was.

Sounds like your son is bigger than mine though. You could take a photocopy of his birth certificate for peace of mind!

My son was large for his age too. (He is 14 now 5’10” and still growing) We were never asked to show proof of age when we went to the parks when he was little. Although I did take a photocopy of his birth certificate just to be safe. Rides are all about height and not age, so expect to be checked at least three different times on rides with 40” height requirement.

We're about to encounter something similar next month with our fairly tall 2 year old a couple weeks before his 3rd birthday.

I'll try to come back here and update how it went when we get back.

We just went with friends who have a 4 year old and a 2 year old (almost 3). The 2 year old is over 40 inches is taller than his 38" "BIG" brother lol. They had no problems. A cast member at the gate once asked the 2 year old how old he was and he answered 2 and that was the end of that.

That is something I worried about with my 2 boys since they were tall for their age but we were never asked any questions. I wouldn't worry about it.

I always carried a photocopy of my granddaughter's birth certificate, but never needed to show it. Closest I came was someone asked her how old she was going thru the gate and she said "Eight!" and they laughed and ushered us thru. She was 40" at 2.5.

Here she is at 2 years 10 mos...
1393026_10202658958185525_673257238_n.jpg

She kinda outgrew strollers at a young age...
999793_10202897483661673_928916951_n.jpg

We took our oldest to WDW when she was a week away from 3. We were asked twice at the gates "if princess needed a ticket." I said no and we kept going. We had 4 park days. We took our second daughter a few years later when she was almost 3 and nobody asked anything.🤷‍♀️
With my oldest, she was potty trained, sassy and bossy--so she carried herself like an older kid.

I mean if someone does ask you can say something like "Nope! Still 2 for another week!" so you acknowledge he is tall and looks 3 but is still indeed 2. :) Have a blast!

Agree with the other posters that it shouldn't be a problem. But if it makes you feel better, maybe have a photo of his birth certificate on your phone? That would at least be easier to carry around. :)

I am so jealous of all of the posters with tall two and three year olds! My just turned 4 year old is hanging in at 39”. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

I am so jealous of all of the posters with tall two and three year olds! My just turned 4 year old is hanging in at 39”. 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Don't be jealous, there are negatives that come with it. That tall 2yo is now a just turned 9yo who wears a woman's small in leggings and shirts, and a size 8.5 in shoes. There go the "cheap" kids clothes....

All of my kids have been 40" before 3. In fact I think my tallest son was 42" before 3 b/c I remember him riding matterhorn that trip. No one ever questioned it.

My youngest was 40" just before he turned 3. I was asked at the ticket gates if he needed a ticket and I said no he's only two. Easy peasy. No one ever questioned our lack of fastpasses for him. They were only concerned about his height and he quickly got used to standing tall at the measuring sticks. He was exactly 40". A cast member at star tours tried to deny him with out measuring him but I insisted on measuring him and he made it. He loved that ride too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter