Disney's ART OF ANIMATION RESORT Information & Questions

If you book the Suite option, if that's all that's available except for CARS, can you make a request of which one you want if it becomes available?

Right now only the Suite option and CARS is available. I just wondered if you book that option would they still put us in CARS, which is not what we would like? DGS doesn't really know anything about the CARS theme and he's really why we are wanting to stay here.
I was wondering this exact same thing, but I don't see an answer to this question here. We still have about 90 days until our stay, so we haven't done the online check-in yet. When I reserved I picked the "any suite" option hoping for LK or Nemo but my Disney account says Cars. It just isn't our first or even second choice. Do we have the option of asking what other suites are available when we check in or when we do the online check-in?

Stayed at OKW for the past 2 weeks, but visited AoA to get a sense of the layout/options. Naturally, they are completely different grades and costs, but we found AoA to be way too crowded, loud, smelly and the carpets in the guest hallways was utterly disgusting. Other guests told me they tried it for a few days, but never again. Interesting comment was there was no where to escape the chaos.

I assume they are due for a refurbishment based on my observation(s).

Stayed at OKW for the past 2 weeks, but visited AoA to get a sense of the layout/options. Naturally, they are completely different grades and costs, but we found AoA to be way too crowded, loud, smelly and the carpets in the guest hallways was utterly disgusting. Other guests told me they tried it for a few days, but never again. Interesting comment was there was no where to escape the chaos.

The majority of the latest reviews on tripadvisor are positive. Values are of course not everyone's taste. After 5 years they're likely due for a freshen up. I'll be there in a couple of weeks and I'm very much looking forward to it. My kids are huge fans of all 4 movies and I think we'll be able to make the best of it.

We love AoA but I'll be the first to admit that the carpeting in the hallways is horrid...at least in Nemo Building 5. I sent an e-mail to guest relations when we got back from our trip in June 2016 telling them how horrible that hallway carpeting was...that it was beyond needing a good steam cleaning and that it's a complete turn off every time a guest walks through the hallway. It needs to be replaced. I did get a phone call from guest relations and had about a 20 minute conversation with a very nice "supervisor" about the situation. I think AoA is still several years away from a full refurb but I know they were doing some minor things over the last few months. I was hoping that it included the hallway carpeting (and all the dings, gouges, and scrapes on the walls and molding/trim in the hallway). I'm so disappointed that the hallway carpeting has yet to be replaced. Fortunately, the carpeting in the suite was fine and the room was in very good condition. We didn't notice any issues with the carpeting in the hallways of the LK buildings (at least not to the extent of the Nemo building) the 2 times we stayed there.

I also agree that a few areas of the resort can feel very chaotic (food court at 5:00, Big Blue Pool pretty much all day, etc.) but we've found many quiet and relaxing areas at the resort. Our room has always been quiet and relaxing -- located away from the noisy pool and the general hustle and bustle of guests. The pathway and benches along the lake are very quiet areas. The Little Mermaid pool was always quiet and virtually empty when we've used it. One afternoon (a very hot June afternoon) we went to the LM pool because the Big Blue pool was soooo crowded. There were exactly 15 people in the LM pool (because apparently *everyone* was in the BBP). We had similar experiences there on other trips/days as well. We've also visited (but never used) the Cars pool in the afternoon -- that, too, was much quieter and less packed than the BBP. We also visit the food court at off times (usually late lunch/late dinner) and while it's not exactly empty, it's far less crowded and noisy than the prime dining times.

I'm curious....what was smelly at the resort? We've spent more than 3 weeks total at AoA and I don't remember noticing any unusual smells. And my husband is extremely sensitive to odors so I know he would have made sure we all knew he smelled something less than pleasant. :D

I really feel like comparing OKW to AoA is like comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't book OKW if I wanted to immerse myself and kids in Disney 24/7 including all the fun and energy that goes with a resort like AoA. And likewise, I wouldn't book AoA if I wanted a peaceful setting geared more towards adults with only subtle hints of Disney. That's the great thing about Disney resorts -- there's something for (almost) everyone and we can choose the resort that best fits our needs on each visit.

We love AoA but I'll be the first to admit that the carpeting in the hallways is horrid...at least in Nemo Building 5. I sent an e-mail to guest relations when we got back from our trip in June 2016 telling them how horrible that hallway carpeting was...that it was beyond needing a good steam cleaning and that it's a complete turn off every time a guest walks through the hallway. It needs to be replaced.

That was our only point of comparison and it completely turned us off. I was thinking this carpet is worse than any off-site resort I've seen.

I'm curious....what was smelly at the resort? We've spent more than 3 weeks total at AoA and I don't remember noticing any unusual smells. And my husband is extremely sensitive to odors so I know he would have made sure we all knew he smelled something less than pleasant. :D

Not sure about my sensitivity, but the ominous odor of defecate was prominent (at least in the check-in/lobby area); this was another major turn-off.

I really feel like comparing OKW to AoA is like comparing apples and oranges. I wouldn't book OKW if I wanted to immerse myself and kids in Disney 24/7 including all the fun and energy that goes with a resort like AoA. And likewise, I wouldn't book AoA if I wanted a peaceful setting geared more towards adults with only subtle hints of Disney. That's the great thing about Disney resorts -- there's something for (almost) everyone and we can choose the resort that best fits our needs on each visit.

That is why I qualified my statement. AoA just wasn't appropriate for our party, but could see that for some it might. Still, I think for a Disney Value+, it should be much cleaner, etc.

If anyone is going in the next few months, I'd love to hear a report on the gondola construction. Blogmickey had some pics this summer, but am curious to hear an update.

Looking forward to our 1st ever AoA stay in Jan! Bummer about the nasty carpets though. I'm also panicking that it will be too cold to swim. Excited nevertheless!

If anyone is going in the next few months, I'd love to hear a report on the gondola construction. Blogmickey had some pics this summer, but am curious to hear an update.

Looking forward to our 1st ever AoA stay in Jan! Bummer about the nasty carpets though. I'm also panicking that it will be too cold to swim. Excited nevertheless!
There's a thread over on the transportation board https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-skyliner-gondola-construction-updates.3619719/
I'll post an update in a few weeks when I visit.

Pools are heated.

In our experience, it's only the hallway carpeting that is bad (and only in the Nemo buildings), the suites we've stayed in were fine. So just don't look down while you're walking to your room. :)

Is it true that there is a character drawing class at Art of Animation resort that is like Animation Academy used to be at Hollywood Studios? I haven't read all the threads in this series so I'm sorry if everyone else knows about this.

In our experience, it's only the hallway carpeting that is bad (and only in the Nemo buildings), the suites we've stayed in were fine. So just don't look down while you're walking to your room. :)

That's too bad; the carpeting was so cute when we stayed there before. I have photos of it.

If you are flying a participating airline you can check your bags right in there at the resort that morning and just leave carry ons with luggage services.

Is there a way to find out which airlines participate in this? My daughter and I will be on our own for the first time and while we'll have a rental car (I hate being at the mercy of other people's timing), I would love the ability to check our bags from the resort and not have to a) leave them in the rental car while we're in our last park, & b) juggle them, carryons, and the 6yo by myself when we head to MCO to depart.

Is there a way to find out which airlines participate in this? My daughter and I will be on our own for the first time and while we'll have a rental car (I hate being at the mercy of other people's timing), I would love the ability to check our bags from the resort and not have to a) leave them in the rental car while we're in our last park, & b) juggle them, carryons, and the 6yo by myself when we head to MCO to depart.

There's a list here on Disney's website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/resort-airline-check-in/

I feel confident that the rooms are much better than the hallways in the Nemo building. I wouldn't want anyone to make a decision to not try AoA based on our hallway carpet observations, 1X. My intent is only to inform.

I stayed here the last week of September in a Little Mermaid room because I couldn't justify booking a suite for an only two adults trip.

First off, we booked a handicapped room with a roll in shower. The shower was huge with a fold down chair and adjustable, detacheable shower head. The tilework in the shower was gorgeous--I honestly felt like I was bathing in Ariel's grotto! The bathroom had an actual door that rolled out from the wall to seperate it from the bedroom area rather than just a curtain which also helped to reduce bathroom noise.

The rest of the room, while clean, was really beat up. Furniture dinged up and scratched, obvious marks and dents on the walls that had been hastily covered over with touch up paint and spackle. The carpet was clean, but looking worn. Our room had two beds, we only used one of the beds because one of them sagged horribly when we laid on it. Walls are really thin so if you get loud neighbors, or are next to the pool, you WILL hear them--thankfully we ended up with quiet considerate neighbors and were away from the pool. One thing that REALLY annoyed me was something that housekeeping did: we first arrived into our room and they had left the TV on, with the volume turned up really loud to some Disney information station about stuff going on property. I was both embarrassed and horrified for our neighbors, as this was not a very magical thing for housekeeping to do! How hard would it have been to leave the TV off, or turn the volume down, or use the mute button?

So yup, these are definately value rooms that are in need of refurbishment. Its a clean place to sleep and shower, which to be honest, was all we really needed because we had a busy trip where we were barely in our room anyways. However, that being said--the public areas of this hotel are fantastic, and immaculately clean. The grounds are beautiful, the on site cafeteria is ok, the pools are fun, there are 24 hour laundromat type facilities, staff was great and I saw them working hard to clean up post hurricane Irma damage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter