Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

They could though. I doubt it happens but cancelling the Tokyo marathon was a huge deal. Only elites being allowed to run it. 30,000+ people two weeks before the event left with travel plans they have to change. It’s a world marathon major too so not a small thing.

What I was getting at is that hosting all the athletes, their coaches, trainers, etc at the Olympic village is a HUGE undertaking and the issue with the virus would be it spreading AMONG THE ATHLETES in close quarters, not necessarily the fans in attendance being an issue. The village is staffed by local residents, who go back to their homes every day after they are done working. It's too risky.

Worse comes to worst, they will end up doing the Olympics like they are going to do the Tokyo marathon. They will hold the events with no fans in attendance.
Exactly, the audience and money comes from television viewership anyway so not having the fans there wouldn't be a huge blow.

Exactly, the audience and money comes from television viewership anyway so not having the fans there wouldn't be a huge blow.

For the networks and the IOC but japan would lose probably millions in the spending from those attending. They aren't making money off the tv deals they make it off those visiting and spending money while attending the games.

So if a couple cases are traced back to WDW will WDW close? Because at this point that seems inevitable. And if their policy is to then close the park, within a year WDW will close at some point.

So if a couple cases are traced back to WDW will WDW close? Because at this point that seems inevitable. And if their policy is to then close the park, within a year WDW will close at some point.
TBH, there comes a time when it’s no longer about containment. Once it’s widespread, closing businesses will no longer be necessary, it will just be a fact if life, like the flu. We can’t close everything and stop living.

TBH, there comes a time when it’s no longer about containment. Once it’s widespread, closing businesses will no longer be necessary, it will just be a fact if life, like the flu. We can’t close everything and stop living.
That sounds totally logical. I’m hoping they will have that kind of reasonable POV. And sure, if containment is still viable they may close. But I hope it’s not just about CYA.

Well, depending on lethality, which is still sorta a question, giving up and accepting the direct deaths might not be the best plan for a totally optional activity that brings together loads of different people every day.

The thing with this virus is that every death counted is a definite, and not an estimate, like the flu is. But every death is only counted if the person came in and got a "positive" diagnosis 1st. So, say in China, deaths could be wildly higher if deaths are not being tested for the virus after they die (if they never got treatment alive).

It also seems like you can "recatch" this virus (at least I've seen some data...but again, it's from China, so...), and it becomes more lethal if you do.

So, keeping open a park for a virus with no cure and no vaccine which serves a huge portion of the population most susceptible to the eventual outbreak seems like not the best idea. If we get widespread outbreaks here before anyone has a total understanding of the risks and a plan (aka drug treatment, vaccine, or "okay, we accept the inevitable"), I'd expect we'd react the way the rest of the world has.

Whether that way has been smart or not, probably depends on your age, your overall immune health and susceptibility to the virus, and your belief that it "would" or "wouldn't" affect you.

You should see the stipulations royal Caribbean has put on my cruise I’m going on in a week. There’s no way they can enforce it but I’m sure it’s just to release themselves from liability.

Well, depending on lethality, which is still sorta a question, giving up and accepting the direct deaths might not be the best plan for a totally optional activity that brings together loads of different people every day.
"Totally optional activity" for the visitors. It is, however, a source of income to all who work there, and for the numerous other industries in Central Florida (hotels, restaurants, transportation, shopping...). Can you imagine the toll on the economy? If the virus is widespread, containment is no longer the goal. Being an ocean away from Asia and the fact that we enacted a travel ban, they hoped to at least slow the spread to the US - and buy us time. But if it is worldwide, no longer able to be contained, what would be the point of shutting down? You'd have to start shutting down everything - stores, sporting events, schools - to make any headway. And I cannot see the US going that direction, we'd be killing our economy, not to mention that we don't really roll that way. The American people wouldn't really stand for what happened in Wuhan. Not to mention that this is not smallpox.

Im curious if the death rate will drop once the patients are being treated by proper Western hospitals. Seems like a lot of balls were dropped in the patient care area in China. I feel like death rate % will be lower in the US.

Im curious if the death rate will drop once the patients are being treated by proper Western hospitals. Seems like a lot of balls were dropped in the patient care area in China. I feel like death rate % will be lower in the US.

See, here's what they probably don't know...will death rates mimic China if western locations get overwhelmed? I mean, right now, all the non-Chinese cases are getting world-class, absolutely most expensive, top of the line care...that's not gonna happen if we get outbreaks, and we will go more the way of the Chinese...but even in their death rates and infection rates, there is so much doubt on what is true and what is false based on their actions, that countries are going the cautious path, b/c how can you not?

I don't worry about it b/c I've lost both my parents, so we don't have folks in the "worst case" age ranges in my family...but even I doubt that in a country with acres of 60+ aged folks that politicians will be able to say "no, it's business as normal" if in fact we still have no cure, no vaccine, no idea of true death rate without hospitalized care, and no idea how bad reinfections can go...and we start getting widespread outbreaks in certain cities.

Last edited:
Since there are now cases in the US, the Virus can be cultured to find a cure. There is a good chance we already have an anti biotic that can cure this Virus, but it takes time for the testing to be done and to see if we have an available cure. Do not believe there should be wholesale panic. If the Chinese had let the CDC in when this first popped, we probably would already have a cure.

Since there are now cases in the US, the Virus can be cultured to find a cure. There is a good chance we already have an anti biotic that can cure this Virus, but it takes time for the testing to be done and to see if we have an available cure. Do not believe there should be wholesale panic. If the Chinese had let the CDC in when this first popped, we probably would already have a cure.
It's a virus. Like the flu. We don't have a cure for the flu. We can make a vaccine, possibly. Though it would take a long time to create a significant number of doses. And we can treat symptoms and possibly shorten the disease time, like Tamiflu or even OTC Nightquil or Robitussin does. But a cure? Unlikely.

Antibiotics can't cure viruses. That's not what they are for.

We can hope for a vaccine and for treatment options that help with the symptoms. But antibiotics are not for viruses.

Sorry I miss posted. The thing is I was talking with my Health Provider on Saturday and she mentioned that we could already have the vaccine (not anti biotics as I posted above), but just need to go thru the process of taking our existing vaccines to see if they can be used to treat this virus. My whole point is this should not be taken as some end of time gloom and doom. The CDC estimates between 16,000 and 41,000 deaths a year from the flu in the USA. We have a long way to go before we reach anywhere close to those numbers.

Sorry I miss posted. The thing is I was talking with my Health Provider on Saturday and she mentioned that we could already have the vaccine (not anti biotics as I posted above), but just need to go thru the process of taking our existing vaccines to see if they can be used to treat this virus. My whole point is this should not be taken as some end of time gloom and doom. The CDC estimates between 16,000 and 41,000 deaths a year from the flu in the USA. We have a long way to go before we reach anywhere close to those numbers.
There are coronaviruses all over the place. You may have already had one and recovered.
Absolutely more people die from flu.
This might suggest that flu is what happens when we fail to contain a new virus, and high numbers of deaths are something we simply learn to live with.
Currently, we don't know enough about Covid-19 (THIS coronavirus) but it seems like mortality rates may be higher than flu (in terms of deaths per infected) and, HAD we contained it, then we would be looking at a better future outlook. Getting used to death rates is something we can do, we know this. Doing so does not represent a successful outcome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter