Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

I expect that there are many people with the coronavirus or showing similar symptoms who are afraid of getting testing for one thing or another. I imagine that being diagnosed is to be shunned by society, even once you are healthy again.

Imagine this spreading around the US and the costs of healthcare. There was recently a report of a man from Miami who came back from China and had symptoms. It turned out it was the flu. He reportedly owes $1400 for the test. He did the right, responsible thing, and he’s paying for it. This will absolutely scare people from getting tested. They’ll just do some over the counter meds and avoid getting tested, hoping it’s just a quick bug, and they will pass it along.

Since there are now cases in the US, the Virus can be cultured to find a cure. There is a good chance we already have an anti biotic that can cure this Virus, but it takes time for the testing to be done and to see if we have an available cure. Do not believe there should be wholesale panic. If the Chinese had let the CDC in when this first popped, we probably would already have a cure.
Australia had a early case of it and our scientists gave out the details to other countries that China was holding to them self. They said they can now work on a shot but would probably take 18 months to be ready

It's the right thing to do. Japan doesn't have a handle on their outbreak, yet. They still might be able to control it, but if they can't then things like this need to happen, along with suspending worship services, schools, universities, sporting events & concerts, etc. I don't think that the outbreak is confined to any one area of the country, either. It's going to be hard to get under control.

I guess we will find out what the epidemic statistics are like in a country with good health care and fairly transparent reporting. In South Korea, too. It's terrible for them but might help the rest of the world.

Since there are now cases in the US, the Virus can be cultured to find a cure. There is a good chance we already have an anti biotic that can cure this Virus, but it takes time for the testing to be done and to see if we have an available cure. Do not believe there should be wholesale panic. If the Chinese had let the CDC in when this first popped, we probably would already have a cure.
Antibiotics don’t cure viral infections. They cure bacterial ones. We are a long way off from a vaccine. At least a year, more likely more. Existing antivirals have been tested with no real reported successes.

Sorry I miss posted. The thing is I was talking with my Health Provider on Saturday and she mentioned that we could already have the vaccine (not anti biotics as I posted above), but just need to go thru the process of taking our existing vaccines to see if they can be used to treat this virus. My whole point is this should not be taken as some end of time gloom and doom. The CDC estimates between 16,000 and 41,000 deaths a year from the flu in the USA. We have a long way to go before we reach anywhere close to those numbers.

Vaccines don't treat, they (are supposed to) prevent. So even if we get a vaccine in the next year, it may help prevent, but it still won't help treat. Currently, Tamiflu, a known anti-viral used for the flu, doesn't work.

Now, I do agree, I believe it is being over hyped to a degree. While some were saying the death rate may be higher due to deaths that haven't been accurately tested, it also may be lower, since how many people have had Coronavirus and been so mild, they didn't know it? It has been globally accepted that the death rate is probably lower than 2%, due to unreported cases. And at the end of the day, it is, still for now, a relatively mild illness for the 98% of people who get it. Also a positive note that no one seems to be talking about is that the rate of new cases within China is slowing down.

Vaccines don't treat, they (are supposed to) prevent. So even if we get a vaccine in the next year, it may help prevent, but it still won't help treat. Currently, Tamiflu, a known anti-viral used for the flu, doesn't work.

Now, I do agree, I believe it is being over hyped to a degree. While some were saying the death rate may be higher due to deaths that haven't been accurately tested, it also may be lower, since how many people have had Coronavirus and been so mild, they didn't know it? It has been globally accepted that the death rate is probably lower than 2%, due to unreported cases. And at the end of the day, it is, still for now, a relatively mild illness for the 98% of people who get it. Also a positive note that no one seems to be talking about is that the rate of new cases within China is slowing down.
Counterpoint: death numbers are significantly lagging infection numbers as this virus, unlike other recent ones like Ebola, takes weeks to kill and we are currently experiencing exponential growth. As such, comparing today’s fatality rate to today’s infection rate to get a mortality rate is wrong. You should be comparing today’s fatality rate to three weeks stop infection rate.

Counterpoint: death numbers are significantly lagging infection numbers as this virus, unlike other recent ones like Ebola, takes weeks to kill and we are currently experiencing exponential growth. As such, comparing today’s fatality rate to today’s infection rate to get a mortality rate is wrong. You should be comparing today’s fatality rate to three weeks stop infection rate.

Very true. However I believe that is what officials have done in some of their studies on the early cases. Death rate remained around 2%

Very true. However I believe that is what officials have done in some of their studies on the early cases. Death rate remained around 2%

Normal flu death rate per year is .1-.13%, to give an idea of the difference...

EDIT To Add: And that rate is in the "bad" years, outside of 1918...when the vaccine truly works decently well, it's even lower...

Last edited:
I think it is foolish to believe any of the numbers out of China that make it look like they are getting a handle on this. They could be true, but they are far more concerned about projecting an image and staying in power than anything else.

Last edited:

Cases are only appearing to slow down in China as they have created new rules as to how they count "confirmed" cases. The criteria is that the person test positive for the virus AND has radiological evidence of pneumonia. So, they are basically only counting severe cases requiring hospitalization at this point.

Last edited:

Last numbers I saw said 15% hospitalization rate, 5% mechanical breathing, 2.4% dead. So I really don't think your 98% mild number has any basis in published data.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter