(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a gf visit in March, one upcoming for Labor Day and again for December. I will unpack and relax because I'm on vacation.

Sorry, for vacation I look forward to my time away. I can't wait , I'm only 12 days away and dh and I are looking forward to a sans kids trip.:goodvibes

Yes, but after you check the mattress seams and the boxspring a bit and behind the pictures ect... and use the lint roller (not using a maxi pad like one person lol ) and say you don't find anything. Then what? Do you do all these things they recommend? Do you keep your luggage in a bag? Keep your shoes where? How do get around the room?
I'm Seriously asking. What do YOU do to avoid a problem?

What do I do?
I don't do all of those things. I check the bed and boxsprings.

Then I move in.

@poohgirl6

Do you mind sharing information on some of the options available to your son?

I also have celiac and I haven't been to the newly renovated Gasparilla Grill.

My main question is, did they have bread/buns/bagels or anything to make a sandwich?

@poohgirl6

Do you mind sharing information on some of the options available to your son?

I also have celiac and I haven't been to the newly renovated Gasparilla Grill.

My main question is, did they have bread/buns/bagels or anything to make a sandwich?

I know he had Gluten-Free Pizza, Gluten-Free breaded & fried Chicken Tenders, and a Gluten-Free Hamburger (with GF bun). He's not really a sandwich eater, but I would think that there would be GF options for that too. They made him Gluten Free Mickey waffles for breakfast. He asked the CM about GF options and she said, "Let me get my Team Leader". The TL came out and said, "What do you want to eat? Anything on the menu I can make you Gluten Free" They have a separate fryer for GF products, so all Tater Tots, fries, etc are safe. Every restaurant at WDW seemed to have several GF options. I think you'll find lots of choices

Also wanted to mention that Ohana's went out of their way to make sure he had a safe, enjoyable dinner. The chef came out and spoke with my son and told him which items were safe. He brought him his own separate bowls of substitute items also that were wonderful. He got rice instead of the noodles, and also got his own bread basket with gf rolls. He also got his own dessert instead of the Banana/caramel bread pudding. It was his favorite meal of the week.

I had a gf visit in March, one upcoming for Labor Day and again for December. I will unpack and relax because I'm on vacation.

Sorry, for vacation I look forward to my time away. I can't wait , I'm only 12 days away and dh and I are looking forward to a sans kids trip.:goodvibes
Labour Day we'll be in Ft Lauderdale! I'll be looking for your pics :rolleyes1

We made a last minute decision and will be staying at the GF in 2 weeks where DH and I are celebrating our anniversary :love:

I am looking at some posts mentioning that cases of Dasani bottled water is now available at some resorts. Can someone please tell me if GF's gift shop sells the cases of water? If so, how much would that be? TIA!!! :worship:

We made a last minute decision and will be staying at the GF in 2 weeks where DH and I are celebrating our anniversary :love:

I am looking at some posts mentioning that cases of Dasani bottled water is now available at some resorts. Can someone please tell me if GF's gift shop sells the cases of water? If so, how much would that be? TIA!!! :worship:

Yup. $6.99 for twenty-four 12 oz bottles of Desani as of 07-30-17.

@BreezysMom i am a poly lover too. I often walk to/from gf poly to visit . I love polys food !

Just to,keep in mind for those who walk. The path from gf to poly is tricky. You have to cut to the beach before or at the kiddy splash thing. You then walk on the dvc sidewalk along the water. You follow this keeping left when you get to the wedding chapel. This goes right to poly. If you walk on right side of vgf you realize there is grass between you and the path and either go back or cut through it.

Coming from poly it's not a problem because you just end up at the gf beach.

I do this walk every trip even when I am not staying at those resorts. I love watching the boats, seeing the castle and hearing the disney sounds. It kind of gives you a break from craziness too.
thanks for this! We are definitely going to try this walk!

We
Ok, I'm gonna just ask. Someone shared a post on Facebook that mentioned being careful at Disney cause YUCK Bed Bugs and they hitch a ride home and take over your house! So, then I googled (yup bad idea.) anyway, I did find a thread on Dis that was quite unnerving. Apparently Disney was pretty much ignoring it back on 2010 and then only doing things like bumping up the heat for 12 hours and clearly NOT taking care of the issue. Even saying it's fleas cause that is actually better.
One poster mentioned there were like 3 people within 24 hours they tried to put in a Known infested room! Apparently they Won't take a rooms out of commission for this. In about sick to my stomach thinking about this.
I cannot afford to pay for de-bugging our house nor buying new mattresses/beds furniture.
We will need to replace the roof withon 5 years we have that budgeted not To comeback from a week at Disney and deal with Months and Months of paying to Try and get rid of blood suckers.
We have three young children and this is to be their first trip I'd hate to Have that ruined.

Anyone have experiences or what do you do? I've heard Don't Put shoes or anything on floor (then how do you get around the room? Hot lava or fly? ) check everything in the room ,and whatever you do don't go into your house when you get home, change in the garage and put clothes I. Sealed bags (the whole time don't just put in luggage. You should put all dirty in sealed bags inside your luggage while keeping the packed in sealed bags and then the luggage in a giant garbage bag sealed and leave everything in sealed bags out in the garage
When you do go to wash your clothes throw them in Super hot water in and then in Hot dryer for at least half an hour (my experience is this kind of ruins clothes so why not just throw them out ?) Am I missing something? This is like dwebing me out!

I know I haven't been out since a month before the baby was born so I'm a little on edge lol (Rare blood clot found in the Inferior vena cava in my chest the day after we got home.) Everyone was concerned it would get loose and travel to my heart or lung or brain and I wouldn't be close enough to the hospital to make it. My husband and parents convinced me to just stay home. And frankly I didn't care just wanted to spend all the time I could holding my children and with our family. It was really scary and my children are to young to understand)

I'm sorry this is so long. I hope it's clear. Like I said getting a little stir crazy here lol

We made our first trip to WDW in 2010 and saw a LOT about this. It worried me. BUT THEN I realised I had been travelling all over the world for years, and been fine. Also, bed bugs can be picked at any grade of hotel anywhere. Or you can get them from your luggage being in the flight hold. Which you have zero control over.
If you are super worried, do the checks. Take photos and ask to be moved if you find anything. Leave your luggage outside the room until you have checked. That's pretty much all you can really do.

We stayed at GF Aug 12-19. It was a big family trip, with DH & I, our 4 kids (ages 19 yrs-32 years), 2 of their spouses, and 3 of our 4 grands (age 7 yrs, 4 yrs, & 2 yrs). My daughter left her youngest (17 mos) at home with her in-laws. None of us had ever stayed at GF, in fact, it's the only Deluxe that I've never stayed at.

The wows were many, the disappointments very few and far between at the GF. So glad we chose it for our family vacay, and it won't be our last visit there I'm sure. I tried to mention some things that new visitors might wonder about. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks for your detailed review. The GF is an amazing resort! Glad everyone had a great time and enjoyed the GF :).

Have a great trip! :wizard:.

We stayed at GF Aug 12-19. It was a big family trip, with DH & I, our 4 kids (ages 19 yrs-32 years), 2 of their spouses, and 3 of our 4 grands (age 7 yrs, 4 yrs, & 2 yrs). My daughter left her youngest (17 mos) at home with her in-laws. None of us had ever stayed at GF, in fact, it's the only Deluxe that I've never stayed at. We booked FP for all of us for the headliners throughout the week, and had 2 ressies for meals together: dinner at Ohana, and breakfast at Chef Mickey. In addition, my daughter and son-in-law had a date night at Narcoossee's while DH and I kept their kids, and my son & daughter-in-law had an anniversary dinner at Jiko while we kept their 2 yr old. My daughter and I did Afternoon Tea with my DGD4. Other than that, everyone did whatever they liked......some days we spent lots of time together just hanging out; other days everyone went their own way. It was a wonderful trip, and we all LOVED the Grand Floridian (which is now my new favorite resort).

I made use of the *** agency discount, and booked 3 GV Outer Bldg rooms. I made no specific bldg/room requests. I did not do online check-in, because there were 3 separate rooms and I wanted to make sure that my credit card was not attached to all 3 room accounts' Magic Bands charging privileges. So we flew into MCO with no issues (arrived around 12:30pm), and waited briefly for our ME bus. We've never flown in/checked in on a Sat before that I remember, and the airport and ME lines were much busier than I remembered. Our bus was almost completely full. Once on board, we departed shortly and had an uneventful ride. (I mention that only bc it seems like the Disney buses are prone to be in accidents or drama lately according to the boards). We stopped at Ft Wilderness, where at least 1/2 the bus got off. Then stopped at the Poly, where it began to rain. By the time we got to GF, it was a total downpour. However, we only had 1-2 steps til we were under cover of the Portico out front, and made our way to the lobby. We all checked in with separate desk CMs. They were quick, efficient and helpful. My check-in CM caught the fact that although my son and I had connecting rooms, my daughter and her family were in a separate bldg. She quickly notified the desk CM checking my daughter in and made arrangements to find her a room in our bldg. She did that before I asked her. Our rooms were all ready. It was about 2:45pm. They asked if we needed assistance with luggage, and we declined because our checked bags were all with ME. However, since it was coming a monsoon outside, a GC ride to our building would've been nice. Maybe they would've complied if we asked, but I didn't think about it at the time, and looking back, I'm surprised they didn't offer.

My son and his family had connecting rooms with DH, myself and my 2 DS's. We were in 7112 and they were 7116 on the first floor of Conch Key. They had nice sized outdoor patios, and we loved using them, especially in the mornings. As you enter Conch Key from the Narcoossee side, they are located immediately on the right off the lobby. In fact, the CK lobby was kinda like our extended living area. I was afraid that it might be noisy, but it was very quiet and nothing ever disturbed us. My daughter was in 7122, just down the hall a bit. All rooms were identical in size and configuration, and they worked so well for all of us.

I loved the small touches that the GF had that I have never experienced at other deluxe properties: the robes, the hampers for dirty/wet linens, turn down service, laundry rooms in each building, live music in the lobby, etc The entire feel of the resort was so elegant and relaxing. I did not find it stuffy in any way. It truly felt like I was on vacation instead of just killing time between park visits.

I loved the Courtyard Pool so much. It was never crowded, the lovely soft jazz music playing was relaxing (in contrast to CR's pool which is a continual daytime rave for lower elementary aged kids. And it was such an easy pool for the little kids to play in safely (in contrast to SAB which keeps a Mom or GM hopping to keep sight of your kid) In fact, i never visited the kids pool or the beach pool.

Gasparilla Grill was a good QS option IMHO. Their menus appears pretty limited, but if you engage with them, they will usually cook you whatever you want. For example: I wanted a salad and they offered me romaine or iceberg lettuce. I asked if they had spinach, and they left and returned immediately with some. My DS19, has celiac disease, and they cooked to order anything he wanted at all hours of the day and night. GG was also the most relaxing and quiet QS place I've been at any resort.

DH and I ate at GF Cafe once (for the wonderful French Onion Soup & Pimms Punch). It's a pleasant place, but during the day seems to have a strange menu to me. It's basically breakfast with a few lunch items until 2:30pm. Can't speak to dinner menu.

Afternoon tea was elegant, beautiful and pricey. I think it was a good value for what you get if you savor it and just relax. We ordered the Cheshire Tea, which comes with a fruit and cheese plate, and I"m glad we did bc the rest of the tea was heavy on the sweets. They were all lovely and tasted wonderful, but a bit too much sweets without a savory balance (if you didn't get the fruit/cheese). My 4 yr old DGD enjoyed it for about 30 mins and ate quite a bit of her little treats and Treasure Tea (apple juice) before my DH came to pick her up so my daughter and I could finish the tea in peace....lol. Then we all met up again for the Princess Promenade in the lobby. So magical for little princesses

Mousekeeping was really good. Our room was always clean and stocked so well, except for misunderstandings about the coffee pods. When we checked in, there were several different pods to choose from: French Roast, Breakfast Blend, Breakfast Blend Decaf, Earl Grey Tea, Green Tea, some kind of Hot Choc I believe. Anyway, the French Roast was too strong for me, so I called and asked for more Green Mountain Breakfast Blend. No results. So I left a handwritten note for Mousekeeping. Instead got a pile of Green Tea left on desk. Next day left the not out again, after crossing out the Green Mountain part, and just asked for Breakfast Blend. Got a few French Roasts. Spoke to a Mousekeeper at Turn Down and she brought me both Green Tea and French Roast. After 4 days, I gave up! Just either drank the French Roast or went to GG and bought coffee there. One night I called to request an extra blanket and they assured me they'd send one right up. We waited for a bit, fell asleep and never received one. However, my daughter had a wonderful Mousekeeper that brought a big Princess Balloon Bouquet to my DGD, made Towel Animals, and brought them hug quantities of whatever they asked. Really gave them a magical experience. I'm not complaining about our service; as long as they keep the room clean and stocked, I'm fine with it.

Transportation was good with the exception of some bus travel experiences. Monorail was always good, and only out of service on our last night from Epcot. Instead you had to take a bus to TTC then switch to resort monorail. The resort launch back from the MK was so quick, and just a few steps from our Conch Key location. It was down a time or two bc of lightning, but that is to be expected. Bus service to AK was good both coming and going. However, the DHS Bus transportation was a big mess on 3 separate occasions. Once we waited 25-30 mins for one to appear at DHS around 8:30pm. And another night some of us closed down DHS and waited 65 minutes for a bus :scared1: That is unacceptable at any level resort, but especially at the flagship resort. There was at least a bus load and a half waiting, and they all got on because it was getting so late. Pretty sure we exceeded the capacity. Also the Disney Springs transportation situation seems inconvenient and very costly in terms of time.

The wows were many, the disappointments very few and far between at the GF. So glad we chose it for our family vacay, and it won't be our last visit there I'm sure. I tried to mention some things that new visitors might wonder about. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Hope you all have a grand week :thumbsup2
Sounds like you had a lovely trip!

I know he had Gluten-Free Pizza, Gluten-Free breaded & fried Chicken Tenders, and a Gluten-Free Hamburger (with GF bun). He's not really a sandwich eater, but I would think that there would be GF options for that too. They made him Gluten Free Mickey waffles for breakfast. He asked the CM about GF options and she said, "Let me get my Team Leader". The TL came out and said, "What do you want to eat? Anything on the menu I can make you Gluten Free" They have a separate fryer for GF products, so all Tater Tots, fries, etc are safe. Every restaurant at WDW seemed to have several GF options. I think you'll find lots of choices
Thank you.

There are definitely numerous options at almost every eatery at Disney. It is a great place to vacation.

I am a little hesitant when they renovate. Normally they change the menu, and sometimes not in a good way.

Glad to see that they kept all of the options.

Does anyone know if the Bus Stop at the GF is still being refurbished??

I know they temporarily moved the bus pick up location to the outer lane directly in front of the main building, but was just wondering if it's still there.

Last edited:
Reached out to DSS via email yesterday, and had a very kind and informative email response today! I submitted my SL room requests (upper floor, marina side, full balcony), and will call them later today to see if they can help me grab a couple of ADRs I haven't been able to get yet... never hurts to ask :)! Thanks for all of the help!

Well, DSS couldn't find the ADRs for which I was hoping, but they did submit my room requests, and they are EXTREMELY kind, patient, and helpful! Very impressed!
It's worth it to note that the DSS CM recommended I add the "two queen bed/ 1 daybed" room configuration to my room requests, as she said you can get a room with only two queen beds in SL.

Checked in this afternoon & just wanted to let anyone who is interested in buying a case of water from Sandy Cove Gifts, they no longer sell a case of 24 regular size bottles.

They now only have an 8 pk. of Dasani 12 Oz bottles for $3.99.

Guess they weren't making enough money from the 24 pack :D

Also, half gallon of milk is $3.69, FYI ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter