(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We came home Sunday from a wonderful week at the GF. Tonight I was getting my 2 yr old twins into PJs and one of them looked up at me and asked if we could watch fireworks tonight!

I wish, buddy, I wish!
Oh, I have had the same feeling each time we’ve returned home from ‘Mickey’s Place’. *sigh*. I could do with a dose of fireworks, right now!

Staying in an outer building garden view room in may. What building would you guys suggest to request? want to be close to main building, specifically Gasprilla's. Was thinking Big Pine Key, followed by Sage Cay.

Never stayed at GF before and was wondering if someone could be brutally honest about the monorail to Magic Kingdom.. I have read that often times in the morning the monorail is at capacity already arriving at GF from Contemporary and Poly resorts. Is this true? Debating staying here vs Contemporary but figured one stop on the monorail to get to MK prior to opening would be a breeze! Also, if someone could recommend a “outer building lagoon view” request for rooms with a partial view of MK or looking out towards the Contemporary. Thanks in advance! :):):)

Never stayed at GF before and was wondering if someone could be brutally honest about the monorail to Magic Kingdom.. I have read that often times in the morning the monorail is at capacity already arriving at GF from Contemporary and Poly resorts. Is this true? Debating staying here vs Contemporary but figured one stop on the monorail to get to MK prior to opening would be a breeze! Also, if someone could recommend a “outer building lagoon view” request for rooms with a partial view of MK or looking out towards the Contemporary. Thanks in advance! :):):)

We’ve stayed at the GF 3 times and use the monorail every time we go to MK. We’ve never had it were we’ve not been able to get on the monorail due to capacity.

In our first trip, we requested upper level at Boca Chica. If we went to the right half of our balcony, we could see the castle.

Staying in an outer building garden view room in may. What building would you guys suggest to request? want to be close to main building, specifically Gasprilla's. Was thinking Big Pine Key, followed by Sage Cay.
We really liked Big Pine Key. Our room faced the Polynesian and It was a lovely lagoon view for the standard price. It was also very close to the main building. :)

The thing I didn’t like about the monorail was that it didn’t start running to MK until 1/2 hour before the park opened when we were there. I also hated to take it back to the resort because it made all those stops. We would take the boat back. And we really hated taking two monorails to get to Epcot. The second time we stayed at the GF it was a split stay with Beach Club. That way we could walk to Epcot. :)

Last edited:
The thing I didn’t like about the monorail was that it didn’t start running to MK until 1/2 before the park opened when we were there. I also hated to take it back to the resort because it made all those stops. We would take the boat back. And we really hated taking two monorails to get to Epcot. The second time we stayed at the GF it was a split stay with Beach Club. That way we could walk to Epcot. :)

That is how we operate as well. Split stay at an Epcot resort, then exclusively hit up only Epcot and HS, with the exception of one half day at AK and MK (if there are evening EMH or later closing than Epcot or HS). Second week, all MK with maybe a half days at Epcot or HS with EMH or late closing). When staying at GF, I’d recommend Monorail to MK, boat back.

That is how we operate as well. Split stay at an Epcot resort, then exclusively hit up only Epcot and HS, with the exception of one half day at AK and MK (if there are evening EMH or later closing than Epcot or HS). Second week, all MK with maybe a half days at Epcot or HS with EMH or late closing). When staying at GF, I’d recommend Monorail to MK, boat back.
Thank you for your reply and opinion! Would you recommend or have you stayed at Polynesian to avoid the monorail issue for Epcot? (Being able time walk to TTC). I’m having a hard time deciding between GF and Poly for this reason! Also, do either the GF or Poly have a better or worse bus system to HS and or AK? Thanks again for your help again I really, really appreciate it!

Thank you for your reply and opinion! Would you recommend or have you stayed at Polynesian to avoid the monorail issue for Epcot? (Being able time walk to TTC). I’m having a hard time deciding between GF and Poly for this reason! Also, do either the GF or Poly have a better or worse bus system to HS and or AK? Thanks again for your help again I really, really appreciate it!

We have stayed at Poly before, but have never taken the monorail to Epcot because we have a car. I do not take the busses anywhere so unfortunately can’t help you there. Poly is steps away from TTC, and if that’s your main goal to be closest to monorail, it might be the better choice.

Frankly, we found the walk from Poly to TTC to be quite long; we didn't prefer it to just dealing with changing monorails and staying at GF. It was almost the same amount of time and less walking. :). As to your other question about the morning monorails being full at GF, we have never encountered that. We were just there again in the beginning of Jan during peak crowd levels and monorails were running every 3 mins or so and we always got right on.

Our strategy is monorail from GF to MK (I believe I timed it at 1 min 20 sec) and the boat back to GF from MK (something like 3 mins or less). The Poly takes longer for both routes, although if you took the monorail back from MK, it would be a minute or two less to go to Poly than to GF.

They are very different resorts. I wouldn't let transportation be the deciding factor as they are both great picks for that. I'd pick based on the vibe that you are looking for.

Frankly, we found the walk from Poly to TTC to be quite long; we didn't prefer it to just dealing with changing monorails and staying at GF. It was almost the same amount of time and less walking. :). As to your other question about the morning monorails being full at GF, we have never encountered that. We were just there again in the beginning of Jan during peak crowd levels and monorails were running every 3 mins or so and we always got right on.

Our strategy is monorail from GF to MK (I believe I timed it at 1 min 20 sec) and the boat back to GF from MK (something like 3 mins or less). The Poly takes longer for both routes, although if you took the monorail back from MK, it would be a minute or two less to go to Poly than to GF.

They are very different resorts. I wouldn't let transportation be the deciding factor as they are both great picks for that. I'd pick based on the vibe that you are looking for.
Thank you so much! I am def going to go with GF I think! I appreciate it!

We really liked Big Pine Key. Our room faced the Polynesian and It was a lovely lagoon view for the standard price. It was also very close to the main building. :)

That is exactly what I requested on touring plans! Fingers crossed. How close is that to the beach pool with the slide and play area. 3 kids ages 5 and 6 so figuring we will send most of the time at that pool

That is exactly what I requested on touring plans! Fingers crossed. How close is that to the beach pool with the slide and play area. 3 kids ages 5 and 6 so figuring we will send most of the time at that pool
Closest building for sure. Not far at all but it's not visible from the rooms due to the way the building faces. BPK garden sides does face the quiet pool though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter