(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here was our beautiful (haha) outer building garden view. Sago Cay room 5302. I seem to attract loading areas - I’m destined to always hear the beeping of trucks backing up at 4am. That was really the only con. The location was just about perfect. We headed down the outside stairs most mornings and it was super quick to Gasparilla’s (which is what I wanted) and the buses too. A couple times I had them stop while pulling away because we were in their eyesight coming from around the corner in front of them.

Attachments

• 9FF0842B-1327-4008-AE60-21E9A0BFD50E.jpeg
    9FF0842B-1327-4008-AE60-21E9A0BFD50E.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 91
Here was our beautiful (haha) outer building garden view. Sago Cay room 5302. I seem to attract loading areas - I’m destined to always hear the beeping of trucks backing up at 4am. That was really the only con. The location was just about perfect. We headed down the outside stairs most mornings and it was super quick to Gasparilla’s (which is what I wanted) and the buses too. A couple times I had them stop while pulling away because we were in their eyesight coming from around the corner in front of them.
Wow, that might be the first "bad" view I've seen from the GF, any other not so good ones I've seen so far were all of the back of the pool house and I think might be better than this IMO. I think it wouldn't be quite as bad it it weren't for the apparent construction going on, with the green fence and dug up grass behind it. I hear you on it being a good location otherwise, but I think I would have at least tried to get a different room assignment if I had gotten that room.

Can anyone tell me any recent experiences with this strategy? In the past, when we would stay RPC, we would book about a year in advance to secure the room, and then when discounts came out, we would call and they would always apply them. But this was really when discounts were greater and seemed easier to come by. I would like to reserve soon-ish, for May 2021, and again, hope to apply a discount when one is released. Has anyone tried this strategy in the past year or two? Were you able to successfully get the discount applied, or were you told that they were "sold out" of the discount for that room type? Just trying to figure out what is realistic. And I know that it will mean being pretty on top of knowing when the discounts are being released and calling asap once they are.

We booked an outer building lagoon view room for this May. I think I am going to request a 3rd floor room in Boca Chica. It looks like those might have great theme park views from your lagoon view room. For those who have stayed in Boca Chica lagoon view, is there a specific room or rooms that have the better view (no trees)?

Can anyone tell me any recent experiences with this strategy? In the past, when we would stay RPC, we would book about a year in advance to secure the room, and then when discounts came out, we would call and they would always apply them. But this was really when discounts were greater and seemed easier to come by. I would like to reserve soon-ish, for May 2021, and again, hope to apply a discount when one is released. Has anyone tried this strategy in the past year or two? Were you able to successfully get the discount applied, or were you told that they were "sold out" of the discount for that room type? Just trying to figure out what is realistic. And I know that it will mean being pretty on top of knowing when the discounts are being released and calling asap once they are.
This is our first RPC trip, we are doing May 2020 and I booked it last year on the first day 2020 packages opened up.
While I didn’t use the sun, fun & savings discount (we got a pin via snail mail that was better), I did keep an eye on our room type availability when the discount came out. I did look daily, just for fun and RPC showed availability for all room types (except deluxe king) for a few weeks before I quit looking. I’m not sure if the 50th anniversary will change the availability options, but for this year, the available stayed for awhile.

This is our first RPC trip, we are doing May 2020 and I booked it last year on the first day 2020 packages opened up.
While I didn’t use the sun, fun & savings discount (we got a pin via snail mail that was better), I did keep an eye on our room type availability when the discount came out. I did look daily, just for fun and RPC showed availability for all room types (except deluxe king) for a few weeks before I quit looking. I’m not sure if the 50th anniversary will change the availability options, but for this year, the available stayed for awhile.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I had tried to book an RPC room for this Jan (2020); I checked multiple times per day as soon as discounts came out, all the way up until we left for our trip. Not once was there ever a standard RPC room available with the discount for our dates (we did end up going but we got a room in SL since we could not get RPC). There wasn't even a RPC room available WITHOUT the discount! I think the one time there was a king room and that was the only time I ever even saw that. So that's what has me so worried! Maybe May will just be an easier time to get the room at a discount, than Januray?

Thank you for sharing your experience! I had tried to book an RPC room for this Jan (2020); I checked multiple times per day as soon as discounts came out, all the way up until we left for our trip. Not once was there ever a standard RPC room available with the discount for our dates (we did end up going but we got a room in SL since we could not get RPC). There wasn't even a RPC room available WITHOUT the discount! I think the one time there was a king room and that was the only time I ever even saw that. So that's what has me so worried! Maybe May will just be an easier time to get the room at a discount, than January?
I agree about discounts being a challenge sometimes! This is the first time in 4 trips that we've been able to get any type of discount. I missed out on discount availability on 2 trips and one didn't have a discount offered during our time. I was shocked that availability was still there for July with this discount too. I booked 2 rooms at GF for July last week, and I could've done any room type. I didn't book any CL since we're only there for 1.5 days before our cruise.

That’s a tricky one! I know conventional wisdom has always been don’t book at rack rate because then the rooms will be booked and they won’t have to offer a discount on them. However that only works if you’re willing to take the chance on not getting a room at all. The converse only works, though, if you’re willing to stay there and pay rack rate if a discount isn’t offered on the room once they are released. I know for us we wouldn’t stay RPC without a discount because their RRs are :scared1::scared1:, so I wouldn’t book at rack rate. I would book something else, like SL or an Epcot resort or non CL and watch like a hawk for the discounts to be released. We don’t have a history of booking that far out, though, I think I’ve only booked one stay that I can think of prior to the 180 day mark for ADRs, and it’s usually more like 3-4 months. I do realize we’re going to have to change that now when we book DVC on points!

We will be staying at the GF for the first time this June. We will be staying in an outer building garden view. Can anyone tell me which building(s) we may be staying in? We usually stay at the Polynesian, but decided to try the GF this time. I am very excited and can't wait! Also, does anyone have any pictures they can share of their stay in the same location we will be at? :thanks: :tinker:

Staying at GF in November and requested a crib for my baby girl who will be 22 months. Does anybody have a picture of the crib provided by the resort?

She's picky about her sleeping environment. Just making sure I don't need to make other arrangements.

Staying at GF in November and requested a crib for my baby girl who will be 22 months. Does anybody have a picture of the crib provided by the resort?

She's picky about her sleeping environment. Just making sure I don't need to make other arrangements.
I don't have a photo handy, but ours were always just the basic pack n play. I'm not sure if they were actually brand name (are they Graco?), but they were the same essential thing.

I don't have a photo handy, but ours were always just the basic pack n play. I'm not sure if they were actually brand name (are they Graco?), but they were the same essential thing.

Dangit. That's what I was afraid of. My girl really hates sleeping in the pack n play. Not sure it's it's the size or how low it is to the ground?

Dangit. That's what I was afraid of. My girl really hates sleeping in the pack n play. Not sure it's it's the size or how low it is to the ground?
I have read they have some actual cribs, but have never gotten one nor have I ever really pushed to get one. I have had what they call cribs at other hotels/resorts (I'm pretty sure never at disney) and they still aren't what I would call real cribs. They are those small rectangle cribs with high white metal rails - they always look like little baby jails to me. The mattresses aren't real crib mattresses, but are thicker than a pack n play. They are also higher off the ground than a pack n play, maybe more like crib height, and they have been on wheels in my experience.

I'm thinking of booking the Wonderland tea for my little when we go. I think she'd love the whole thing (crafts, 'tea,' alone like a big girl). It's from 2-3pm, and I have to drop her off and pick her up. This is kind of my 'monorail resorts' trip. Do you think the lounges would be open then or should I try to book the grown-up tea. If I do, could I finish it in the time she is at the party? I've never been in the GF (we're staying at the Contemporary)

This is a pic (not my pic) of the crib they gave us at the GF. They do give full size cribs if you ask for them.

Last edited:
I have read they have some actual cribs, but have never gotten one nor have I ever really pushed to get one. I have had what they call cribs at other hotels/resorts (I'm pretty sure never at disney) and they still aren't what I would call real cribs. They are those small rectangle cribs with high white metal rails - they always look like little baby jails to me. The mattresses aren't real crib mattresses, but are thicker than a pack n play. They are also higher off the ground than a pack n play, maybe more like crib height, and they have been on wheels in my experience.

You have never gotten an actual crib at the GF? They have them for those who request them.

You have never gotten an actual crib at the GF? They have them for those who request them.
I think we only asked once during a gf stay, and we got a pack n play.

I’ve never seen an actual full sized crib in any resort or hotel, I have seen the ones like the photo above occasionally but typically get a pack n play (everywhere, not just Disney).

Anytime I tried to book in advance at gf cl that didn’t work. I tend to go so often tho that I have only paid rack twice.

Once for my mom because I knew it was going to be her only trip there, (2 nights only)

2nd was for 1 night prior to our VGF 2 bd stay. The rate for SL was way less than villa even at rack because it was a holiday. We arrived late and moved to villa the next morning and still had access for lounge that day.

I’m too cheap . I’ll move to a discount or move my dates,

Good luck tho!

Here are some pictures from Sugarloaf last week. Not the best quality because the other guests actually wanted to eat the food and not take pics of it. :rotfl:

49560953877_f9a0becd64.jpg

49560221943_735ed305c8.jpg

49560952507_2c3ae15659.jpg

49560952572_8d9e004fa1.jpg

49560714821_7911c90283.jpg

49560952687_001c666328.jpg

49560714876_6d16d65158.jpg

49560714956_7f59e4ace9.jpg

49560952887_6dfb5fb9f6.jpg

49560222783_9c09bb7662.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter