Disney's POLYNESIAN VILLAGE RESORT Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at Tambu Lounge and tried to order the pulled pork nachos after I read that management said you could even though it was no longer on the menu post refurb. I was told they are no longer available at Tambu. I ran down to Captain Cooks with my Lapu Lapu and got them there. Just figured I would share for any nacho lovers!

They really do. I love the Polynesian so mich but the rooms were looking rough this past trip. Banged up walls, etc. none of the USB ports worked and all of the outlets were wonky. Hard to get things plugged in. The vanity top was showing wear too. Everything needs a freshening up!
Agreed! The hallways and elevators are also looking a little rough. I absolutely love the resort and its the only one I consistently visit regardless of where I am staying for meals or shopping. I hope the regular Poly rooms also get the brighter color palette the DVC studios got. The studios look so much more inviting to me. If Poly does some updates it will be hard for me to book any other MK resort regardless of discount!

Oh yes, the elevator! We requested 1st floor but got 3rd. They could only give us 1st in the other side of the resort so we kept our room. Did the stairs mostly especially since the only elevator was on opposite end of building. But with luggage and sometimes just so darn tired... that elevator was just gross.
I also agree about going with the brighter palette.
Still loved our time at the Poly but it is needed.

DW and I were at WDW this past weekend. Cheated on Poly and were staying at YC, but did stop by for a quick walk through the lobby. Actually we went to check out the GF lobby goings-on but the monorail line was a zoo leaving so we decided to walk over to Poly for no good reason to catch the monorail there, because of course that makes all the logistics sense in the world to go back one monorail stop, but whatever.

I did get a small taste of the Poly holiday loop and that small taste was just about plenty for me! :mic:

Also debated getting a Lapu Lapu at 11:15AMish, but opted not too - another poor choice. New Tambu Lounge looked great BTW.

The lobby was festive and exciting as always. We do enjoy staying at other places but there is just something about the Poly that draws me back.

They really do. I love the Polynesian so mich but the rooms were looking rough this past trip. Banged up walls, etc. none of the USB ports worked and all of the outlets were wonky. Hard to get things plugged in. The vanity top was showing wear too. Everything needs a freshening up!
This is worrying me about my summer 2019 trip....I love the resort and the vibe, but the dark and rundown thing is making me second guess!!

Agreed! The hallways and elevators are also looking a little rough. I absolutely love the resort and its the only one I consistently visit regardless of where I am staying for meals or shopping. I hope the regular Poly rooms also get the brighter color palette the DVC studios got. The studios look so much more inviting to me. If Poly does some updates it will be hard for me to book any other MK resort regardless of discount!

Are they planning refurb of the rooms any time soon?

Is there a picture of the updated studios on this thread that someone can send me a link to? I know going into this Poly stay that it is in need of attention, and I especially remember the dark halls.

This is worrying me about my summer 2019 trip....I love the resort and the vibe, but the dark and rundown thing is making me second guess!!

You’ll see varying opinions on this topic (all of which are valid), but we’ve stayed at Poly (resort-side) somewhat frequently and have never had a room that was downright way past its useful life or complaint-worthy. I’ve had varying degrees of dents and dings, but I consider this pretty normal (within reason) and Poly resort rooms are around 5 years into their life cycle. I will say, we’ve stayed at YC a few times this year with rooms that were just renovated last year and even those show various dents and dings on the new flooring - so you can have little nits anywhere.

I wouldn’t mind new/brighter hallways and common areas - that’s an area where current design trends have probably moved beyond what made sense in 2013. To use a specific example, the resort longhouse elevators have always felt a little dingy/dirty to me (but I would never not stay there because of this).

The room decor - and if it’s too dark for your tastes - is another topic as that’s more personal. We personally really like the design of the resort rooms, but I can see the appeal of the brighter/more colorful DVC style too.

Anyway, long winded way of saying I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you see things in pictures and videos that doesn’t suit your travel tastes.

Last edited:
I totally agree with your comment about the hallways and common areas. They are what look worse to me. (or did a few years ago)

Are they planning refurb of the rooms any time soon?
I believe WL is the next deluxe resort getting refurbed. It was supposed to have started, but been pushed back.

I do not want to be too harsh on Poly rooms. I really do love the place (look at my username) I just think the resort rooms and longhouses look less modern than some other deluxe resorts and when I saw the DVC studios and longhouse common areas I was left wanting more. I have the same issue where I need to have two full beds so I stay resort side. YC/BC refurbs were completed in the past 2 years and they were both complete overhauls so they really look new and modern. That said, my BC room in March had stains on the carpet and my YC room last week had scuffs all over the nightstand. Nothing major that affected my trips at all, I think I just have a very high attention to detail.

If you picked Poly for the south seas theme, dining, location on the monorail (the best IMO), etc you will not be disappointed by an aging room or older looking hallway! I think the darkness also comes with theme. The only deluxe resorts that I feel are "bright" are Grand Floridian and Beach Club. I feel the other themes all lend themselves to being darker/warmer.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless you see things in pictures and videos that doesn’t suit your travel tastes.

I agree. I just stayed at the Poly the end of October and our room was very clean, crisp, and in great shape. This isn't to say that other rooms aren't worn and tired looking, but I think overall they're pretty good :).

I totally agree with your comment about the hallways and common areas. They are what look worse to me. (or did a few years ago)

I think so, too. When I was there in Oct I did notice the elevators looking pretty worn. This wouldn't deter me from staying there, but it would be nice if the elevators and hallways were updated ;).

If you picked Poly for the south seas theme, dining, location on the monorail (the best IMO), etc you will not be disappointed by an aging room or older looking hallway! I think the darkness also comes with theme. The only deluxe resorts that I feel are "bright" are Grand Floridian and Beach Club. I feel the other themes all lend themselves to being darker/warmer.

:thumbsup2

I do not want to be too harsh on Poly rooms. I really do love the place (look at my username) I just think the resort rooms and longhouses look less modern than some other deluxe resorts and when I saw the If you picked Poly for the south seas theme, dining, location on the monorail (the best IMO), etc you will not be disappointed by an aging room or older looking hallway! I think the darkness also comes with theme. The only deluxe resorts that I feel are "bright" are Grand Floridian and Beach Club. I feel the other themes all lend themselves to being darker/warmer.

I found the darker wood theme to be completely in keeping with the Polynesian/Hawaiian look. Koa wood is beautiful and when stained is very dark. While I doubt the resort was made with actual koa wood, I believe the dark wood theme of it is meant to mimic koa and other polynesian woods like teak. I clerked for a federal judge and we actually heard a case in the District Court of Honolulu and the courtrooms there are lined with koa wood. At first it appeared too dark to me but I really grew to appreciate its richness and depth.

Not to mention that the Polynesian resort's look really references the early 70's and I felt that Disney does a good job of keeping that theming alive while not letting it appear shabby or outdated. We stayed there in April mainly because of the fact that its been such an iconic presence ever since WDW was built.

As for the elevators, we stayed on the second floor of Tokelau and while the elevators weren't exactly the best, we hardly used them since it was a pretty short flight of stairs up and they are outside too.

I believe WL is the next deluxe resort getting refurbed. It was supposed to have started, but been pushed back.

I do not want to be too harsh on Poly rooms. I really do love the place (look at my username) I just think the resort rooms and longhouses look less modern than some other deluxe resorts and when I saw the DVC studios and longhouse common areas I was left wanting more. I have the same issue where I need to have two full beds so I stay resort side. YC/BC refurbs were completed in the past 2 years and they were both complete overhauls so they really look new and modern. That said, my BC room in March had stains on the carpet and my YC room last week had scuffs all over the nightstand. Nothing major that affected my trips at all, I think I just have a very high attention to detail.

We stayed here for my child's first visit in 2012. We love it. I loved visiting it as a child. I do have a split stay booked again (with BC split, to try a new but go back to an old favorite). We just stayed in GF for the first time in 2017. We loved the updated feel and brightness, but still were missing the POLY at heart. We walked over there a few nights just to absorb the resort and eat some Captain Cooks and Dole Whip. So we feel we are drawn to go back this time, although I just worry it will feel even more run down to me (because it did back in 2012 however I know there were a lot of refurbs since we went, Soft goods, Oasis pool, Trader Sams, kids splash area, hot tub etc). I just worry about the rooms. They were SO dusty when we went. I also dislike the bathroom not having separate sinks. But still, I booked. I did look at DVC even though not 2 beds. I started to consider it late last night, that yes, my kid can handle a pull out bed I decided. Then I realized I may get stuck with a crappy view, parking lot view and I decided no way. I already had a pool/marina view booked so I can't chance a DVC room being parking lot view.

I just pray I am not severely turned off by the condition of the room for the price tag. We had WL also on our list, but figured that will be our next stay. So you just affirmed that for me, putting of WL due to a upcoming refurb is good for that reason too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter