Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Andre, does it seem that they might at least try to confine it to particular buildings? From the map, it looks like 2 mansions and 2 AB near the dog relief areas could have the designated rooms. That would at least leave a good selection of non dog impacted rooms in the other buildings. It would make sense to make this a bookable category so that they can manage the designated room inventory.

Where is a map showing dog relief areas?

I booked a garden view room today that is dog friendly for December.
We are a party of 5 and the cm said I could put a request in for any bldg that held all of us.
So.. it sounds like every section could have pet friendly rooms in them.

We are a party of 5 and the cm said I could put a request in for any bldg that held all of us.

That's awful for guests needing non- dog friendly rooms in Alligator Bayou for 5.

Thank you for that info. This is exactly why I changed to POFQ. I wouldn't care if the hotel were dog friendly with certain rooms blocked off like most hotels. But since they couldn't be bothered to do that, I'm switching resorts.

We arrive in ten days and I emailed guest services yesterday about my husband's dog allergy and the fact that I didn't want to be in a room that had dogs in it. I also said that I didn't want to hear barking dogs.

A representative called me tonight to talk about my concerns. She said that if I heard a barking dog then call the front desk and they will take care of it. I told her that I had heard conflicting information as to whether or not they would set aside designated dog friendly rooms. She said that they would but that they haven't determined what areas that would be yet. She told me that she added the request to be in a room that was not near the dog friendly rooms.

We'll see what happens. Our trip is so close to the beginning of the dog trial that I'm hoping that there won't be too many dogs there while we are there.

I'll come back and post our experiences - whatever they are.

We arrive in ten days and I emailed guest services yesterday about my husband's dog allergy and the fact that I didn't want to be in a room that had dogs in it. I also said that I didn't want to hear barking dogs.

A representative called me tonight to talk about my concerns. She said that if I heard a barking dog then call the front desk and they will take care of it. I told her that I had heard conflicting information as to whether or not they would set aside designated dog friendly rooms. She said that they would but that they haven't determined what areas that would be yet. She told me that she added the request to be in a room that was not near the dog friendly rooms.

We'll see what happens. Our trip is so close to the beginning of the dog trial that I'm hoping that there won't be too many dogs there while we are there.

I'll come back and post our experiences - whatever they are.

I'm strongly considering moving our reservation for next March. I don't want to deal with dogs. Unfortunately it seems the families of five have been the hardest hit! AoA, FW Cabins, and POR. Maybe Coronado?

Typical backwards WDW "let's put in a new policy and then worry about the details later":mad: So glad we booked at POFQ! I still will write an email to guest services to let them know that we will no longer consider any resort that allows dogs. No way would we bring our dog with us to sit in a room all day. I know for a fact that in a strange place with a LOT of activity and strange noises, he would bark a lot more then normal. That would just be totally inconsiderate of me for the guests around us.

• I posted this on the Disney Parks Blog yesterday, but it's "still awaiting moderation". Just in case it doesn't get past their moderation, I thought I would also post it here:

"I am very sad that my favorite part of Disney World, Port Orleans Riverside, will now be dog friendly. It is a very special resort because of its calm and tranquil beauty, unmatched by any other Disney World location. Here are just a few of my concerns starting with the worst: 1. Barking will shatter the tranquility. 2. Being intimidated by dogs, especially certain breeds that some owners own because they actually enjoy the power their intimidating dog makes them feel over others. Some dogs may cause injury to people or other dogs. I’m not used to having these feelings of fear at Disney Resorts. Now I will have an uneasy feeling when approached by large untrained and undisciplined dogs on long leashes held by possibly careless owners. This will ruin the magic I’ve always felt walking along the river at Port Orleans Riverside. It’s not possible to avoid because it’s not like I can cross to the other side of the street. There’s a river in the way.
    3. Dog odors in rooms, many caused by bacterial skin diseases and mites that can be transferred to humans. 4. Fleas that leave eggs in the rooms to hatch and feed on humans causing very itchy bites. (fleas carry diseases). Fleas and eggs are very tough to get rid of and need several treatments due to their life stages. 5. Dog urine soaked into carpets that cleaning and deodorizing never gets rid of. 6. Dog feces, full of parasitic worms and bacteria, not always picked up by owners, left behind to step in. These are my concerns, and I have had many loveable Labrador Retreivers as part of my family, so I have had experience with all of these issues, none of which are rare or unlikely to happen.
    So, yes, I am sad today. Port Orleans Riverside always seemed to be far too Magical to be really real, but I never thought the magic could be taken away with just two days notice."

on October 15, 2017 at 12:07 pm
    "Your comment is awaiting moderation."

• I posted this on the Disney Parks Blog yesterday, but it's "still awaiting moderation". Just in case it doesn't get past their moderation, I thought I would also post it here:

"I am very sad that my favorite part of Disney World, Port Orleans Riverside, will now be dog friendly. It is a very special resort because of its calm and tranquil beauty, unmatched by any other Disney World location. Here are just a few of my concerns starting with the worst: 1. Barking will shatter the tranquility. 2. Being intimidated by dogs, especially certain breeds that some owners own because they actually enjoy the power their intimidating dog makes them feel over others. Some dogs may cause injury to people or other dogs. I’m not used to having these feelings of fear at Disney Resorts. Now I will have an uneasy feeling when approached by large untrained and undisciplined dogs on long leashes held by possibly careless owners. This will ruin the magic I’ve always felt walking along the river at Port Orleans Riverside. It’s not possible to avoid because it’s not like I can cross to the other side of the street. There’s a river in the way.
    3. Dog odors in rooms, many caused by bacterial skin diseases and mites that can be transferred to humans. 4. Fleas that leave eggs in the rooms to hatch and feed on humans causing very itchy bites. (fleas carry diseases). Fleas and eggs are very tough to get rid of and need several treatments due to their life stages. 5. Dog urine soaked into carpets that cleaning and deodorizing never gets rid of. 6. Dog feces, full of parasitic worms and bacteria, not always picked up by owners, left behind to step in. These are my concerns, and I have had many loveable Labrador Retreivers as part of my family, so I have had experience with all of these issues, none of which are rare or unlikely to happen.
    So, yes, I am sad today. Port Orleans Riverside always seemed to be far too Magical to be really real, but I never thought the magic could be taken away with just two days notice."

on October 15, 2017 at 12:07 pm
    "Your comment is awaiting moderation."
That was very eloquent and described my thoughts perfectly as well.

I hope you are right but I have seen a few posts from people who are thrilled about being able to bring their dogs and noting that the $50 fee is less than what they would have to pay a kennel.

I hope those kennels are gold plated! Around here (southern NH), it runs in the mid $30s per day including daycare, boarding, 2 meals, medication administration, private room. Some places are even cage free.

I live way too far away for bringing a dog to be remotely feasible (or desirable), but I don't see this being the end of days. Granted if I ran the zoo, I'd make some tweaks, like registering the dogs in advance when the rooms are booked (so there's an accurate paw count), needing to submit health statements from vets and UTD vaccines along with proof that the dog takes a flea preventative (from what my southern friends tell me, the fleas are AWFUL down there). I understand normal hotels don't do this, but WDW resorts aren't a normal hotel.

My disney fan, dog owning friends and I all looked at this announcement with raised eyebrows...because it only makes logistical sense for people who drive there and might be there a few nights or people who don't spend a ton of time IN the parks. Most of us wonder why you'd take a dog on vacation with you if you actually couldn't do anything WITH your dog while on vacation....

Hi! We are thinking about staying there next year. I have a few family members with food allergies and was wondering for breakfast at the food court if they have the ability to make fresh eggs without dairy and potatoes or other things with low or no salt or pepper. Thanks!

Somebody shared this with me. It looks like Disney is planning to have designated parts of the hotel that are dog friendly and the rest will be dog free.

Attachments

• IMG_1965.JPG
    IMG_1965.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 48
Somebody shared this with me. It looks like Disney is planning to have designated parts of the hotel that are dog friendly and the rest will be dog free.
Yet when I received a phone call from Guest Services yesterday I was told "Standard and Garden view rooms". I asked if this would be in certain buildings - same response - "Standard and Garden View rooms".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter