Disney's PORT ORLEANS RIVERSIDE RESORT Information & Questions

Maybe you should at least wait for some reports from those staying there in next few weeks before doing any moving...

The next few weeks probably won't be representative of later - this policy was just announced and it takes most people who stay at Disney resort hotels time to book a trip and there is lead time between the booking and the trip. So over the next few weeks there should be very few dogs. As a result, any reports over the next few weeks will sound like this: "Hardly saw any dogs!". Eight months from now it will likely be different.

• I posted this on the Disney Parks Blog yesterday, but it's "still awaiting moderation". Just in case it doesn't get past their moderation, I thought I would also post it here:

"I am very sad that my favorite part of Disney World, Port Orleans Riverside, will now be dog friendly. It is a very special resort because of its calm and tranquil beauty, unmatched by any other Disney World location. Here are just a few of my concerns starting with the worst: 1. Barking will shatter the tranquility. 2. Being intimidated by dogs, especially certain breeds that some owners own because they actually enjoy the power their intimidating dog makes them feel over others. Some dogs may cause injury to people or other dogs. I’m not used to having these feelings of fear at Disney Resorts. Now I will have an uneasy feeling when approached by large untrained and undisciplined dogs on long leashes held by possibly careless owners. This will ruin the magic I’ve always felt walking along the river at Port Orleans Riverside. It’s not possible to avoid because it’s not like I can cross to the other side of the street. There’s a river in the way.
    3. Dog odors in rooms, many caused by bacterial skin diseases and mites that can be transferred to humans. 4. Fleas that leave eggs in the rooms to hatch and feed on humans causing very itchy bites. (fleas carry diseases). Fleas and eggs are very tough to get rid of and need several treatments due to their life stages. 5. Dog urine soaked into carpets that cleaning and deodorizing never gets rid of. 6. Dog feces, full of parasitic worms and bacteria, not always picked up by owners, left behind to step in. These are my concerns, and I have had many loveable Labrador Retreivers as part of my family, so I have had experience with all of these issues, none of which are rare or unlikely to happen.
    So, yes, I am sad today. Port Orleans Riverside always seemed to be far too Magical to be really real, but I never thought the magic could be taken away with just two days notice."

on October 15, 2017 at 12:07 pm
    "Your comment is awaiting moderation."
Very well written. Port Orleans Riverside is my family's favourite resort, and Disney has just made it much less desirable now that it is a dog resort. Dog asses on the blankets and pillows and chairs and floors, dog sh*t around property, having to watch out for potentially aggressive dogs, my daughter being nervous due to dogs at what once was a serene place for her. Riverside, the Dog Resort, is not what it used to be.

Last edited:

The next few weeks probably won't be representative of later - this policy was just announced and it takes most people who stay at Disney resort hotels time to book a trip and there is lead time between the booking and the trip. So over the next few weeks there should be very few dogs. As a result, any reports over the next few weeks will sound like this: "Hardly saw any dogs!". Eight months from now it will likely be different.

Well then I will keep my reservation for next week and never make another!

Hi! We are thinking about staying there next year. I have a few family members with food allergies and was wondering for breakfast at the food court if they have the ability to make fresh eggs without dairy and potatoes or other things with low or no salt or pepper. Thanks!
I know that Disney is very good with food allergies. My experience with breakfast at the POR food court is that they can make food that fits your requirements but it takes longer than the regular food.

Hi! We are thinking about staying there next year. I have a few family members with food allergies and was wondering for breakfast at the food court if they have the ability to make fresh eggs without dairy and potatoes or other things with low or no salt or pepper. Thanks!

I'm gluten free and recently looked this up. The Disney website says that you can ask for help at any restaurant to address food allergies. Someone will walk you through the options on the regular menu or provide you with a different menu that addresses your allergy. What I read mentioned a specific gluten-free menu. I don't know what they have for other allergies, but I imagine they've considered all of the usual ones (dairy, nuts, eggs, etc.). I think you'll have the same experience no matter what resort you're staying in.

As others have said, Disney is really good at their restaurants working with food allergies. Especially for breakfast there should be choices that aren't hard to make to specific request, just be really clear with them on the needs and they can tell you what is available and what they can make.

[from dog thread] I've been following this thread from the start and am still dismayed. ... At POR fir example, it's reported that guests can book any standard or garden view as pet friendly.

Can anyone confirm that only Standard and Garden View rooms at Riverside will permit dogs? I'm still not okay with it either way (I am against allowing non-service dogs at any Disney hotel), but I'd like to know all the details. Appreciate anyone who may be able to confirm on whether dogs will not be allowed in Preferred or River View rooms at POR.

Last edited:
I'm hoping to stay at POR in January. I'm planning on getting a King room so I have room to park the ECV (scooter) that I will be using. I'm not really particular about the view, but would like to be able drive directly to the room without feeling like I'm driving in a maze. I've watched a few videos on youtube and it appears that, even though there are Kings on the first floor of both the Bayou and the Mansions, the room is up a small set of steps. Popping a wheelie is not an option (unfortunately). I've looked at touringplans and portorleans.org to try and determine which rooms might be near a path, but can't tell if there are steps. I'd like to avoid having to make several 90-degree turns in a narrow walkway, if I can. So far the only solution that I can see is requesting a 3rd floor room at Magnolia Terrace. In addition to everything else, was kinda hoping to avoid elevators. Not picky much, huh? ;)

Any one been there recently that can tell me where some of the wheelchair "entrances" to the buildings are? Then maybe I can reverse engineer a "view" request.

:thanks::disrocks:

[from dog thread but about POR room categories] Okay, I got my call after sending an email last night. ... Things I was told that may be helpful. If you don't want a room that had a dog in it at POR they are only in standard rooms and garden view rooms. They will not be in preferred rooms or Royal Rooms. If you want to be nowhere near dogs you should be able to accomplish this with a preferred room. It seemed unclear if Royal was all that much removed from them. She said that River view rooms won't allow dogs but will be mixed within those rooms that do allow them.

The above from another forum thread is hopefully true: that at least some categories of rooms at Port Orleans Riverside (Preferred and River views and Royal rooms) will, at least currently, not have dogs in them. I believe two of the buildings with River view rooms also have Garden view rooms. My understanding is that Preferred view rooms do not share buildings with any other category than River view (some Preferred buildings are all Preferred, some are Preferred or River view).

Last edited:
I like getting pertinent dog info to POR here. Where else we gonna discuss just POR's policy towards dogs without muddying the water with other resorts?

It's definitely relevant to me and as I look to book our trip next month, I'll likely be checking here for all the updates and see how it's playing out not the zillion page dog thread.

I'm hoping to stay at POR in January. I'm planning on getting a King room so I have room to park the ECV (scooter) that I will be using. I'm not really particular about the view, but would like to be able drive directly to the room without feeling like I'm driving in a maze. I've watched a few videos on youtube and it appears that, even though there are Kings on the first floor of both the Bayou and the Mansions, the room is up a small set of steps. Popping a wheelie is not an option (unfortunately). I've looked at touringplans and portorleans.org to try and determine which rooms might be near a path, but can't tell if there are steps. I'd like to avoid having to make several 90-degree turns in a narrow walkway, if I can. So far the only solution that I can see is requesting a 3rd floor room at Magnolia Terrace. In addition to everything else, was kinda hoping to avoid elevators. Not picky much, huh? ;)

Any one been there recently that can tell me where some of the wheelchair "entrances" to the buildings are? Then maybe I can reverse engineer a "view" request.

:thanks::disrocks:
We have stayed in king rooms twice, both times in Alligator Bayou and on the first floor. You are correct when saying that the AB area is like a maze. I always have trouble finding our room the first time and have ended up walking around the building more than once. In my wanderings I have noticed that the buildings in AB have a ramp. So you won't have to "pop a wheelie" to get up to your room. :)

I would like to watch this thread as well for updated information on how the new dog policy impacts POR specifically. The other thread is too long and includes every conceivable speculation.

Can anyone confirm that only Standard and Garden View rooms at Riverside will permit dogs?

Not at all, no. As far as I'm aware so far (and do remember it's still very early days; no one is sure of anything yet, least of all Disney Guest Relations) any guest can opt to bring a dog with them, regardless of their room booking category.

Andre

We have stayed in king rooms twice, both times in Alligator Bayou and on the first floor. You are correct when saying that the AB area is like a maze. I always have trouble finding our room the first time and have ended up walking around the building more than once. In my wanderings I have noticed that the buildings in AB have a ramp. So you won't have to "pop a wheelie" to get up to your room. :)

Thanks for the confirmation. I was hoping for more info as to where the ramp may be located in relation to the buildings. I'd rather not have to drive around the building making 6 zig-zag turns in an ECV to get to my room, if I could have asked for a room (category) that was within a few feet of the ramp.

Thanks for the confirmation. I was hoping for more info as to where the ramp may be located in relation to the buildings. I'd rather not have to drive around the building making 6 zig-zag turns in an ECV to get to my room, if I could have asked for a room (category) that was within a few feet of the ramp.
Have you checked the room maps on the www.portorleans.org website? It will show you where the king rooms are located. They don't show the ramps, though.

I'll be there in 8 days and can check them out for you if you like. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter