Dividing Dining Costs using Tables in Wonderland

Paula25

Disney Dreamer
Does anyone have a good idea of how our large group (12 people) can easily divide the cost of dining? We will have a Tables in Wonderland discount card, which over the course of our vacation, based on our reservations, about $100.

To get the TIW discount, we have to pay for all the meals on one check. There are 7 different "families" represented in our 12-person party, and I'm afraid trying to figure out tip, tax, etc. after every meal will be a nightmare.

We will be getting 2 TIW cards because the maximum number of guest who can get the discount on each card is 10. So I hope that for most meals, we'll have just 3 or 4 smaller groups to divide the bill among. We would pay for the bill with our credit card, and be reimbursed by the others.

I've seen ads for Venmo that look promising, and of course we could use Zelle. Are there any apps that would assist us in figuring out each person's "bill" quickly and easily? Any tips for how to do it that work? I want to be able to finish any money transfers before we leave the restaurant, or I'm afraid I'll end up with a bill that's way too big.

Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like a great way to get extra points :-)

I personally would just Zelle/check/cash at the end of the trip...gonna have to keep a tally unfortunately

To be fair, you’d need to add up each individual’s order and separate out each family. I’d use a spreadsheet. Then calculate the tax and the discount for each and crossreference it with the total bill. Let everyone know how much they owe after each meal or at the end of each day.

If you’re staying on site, I’d charge it to the room and let each person pay off their part of the balance every day.

At the end of the trip, you’d need to add up the whole discount and allocate the cost of the TiW cards based on how much everyone saved.

That doesn’t sound very fun to me while on vacation.

fabulous app called 'Splitwise' - will keep track of everyone's costs over a whole trip and then one check/venmo at the end.

If you are staying at a WDW resort, each of the guests could use their own credit card or a Disney gift card to pay their portion of the bill before Disney closes the bill to charge your credit card. You just have to do that at the hotel desk.

Keep in mind, you might want to be careful tallying up everything before you leave the restaurant.

Part of the TiW rules reads that the name on the card pays for the bill.

If the manager or server sees you tallying up who owes what, they may not allow you to use the card for the discount.

It really would be better to do the calculations after you have left.

If the manager or server sees you tallying up who owes what, they may not allow you to use the card for the discount.
I'm not sure this would be a problem. Four of us requested separate checks, and the server tried to get us to combine everything and have the TIW holder pay. Granted, that wasn't the manager.

I'm not sure this would be a problem. Four of us requested separate checks, and the server tried to get us to combine everything and have the TIW holder pay. Granted, that wasn't the manager.
It is a YMMV, type of thing.

We don't have a card, but saw a table next to us have a problem because it was obvious that they were dividing the check. They were told that the cast member didn't care what they did outside of the restaurant, but within his view it had to be on one check.

Could you get a "deposit" amount from each family at the beginning of the trip? Make a rough (under) estimate of costs and get that from each family. Then, you don't have to worry about not having enough money to pay a dinner bill and you don't have to calculate in a rush while at the table. You can calculate each night and do a running tally of how much of the "deposit" is left. I'd underestimate so that that you won't have to give money back and just have a final payment at the end of the trip for the difference (you could top-up partway through the trip if you're going through the "deposit" quickly and are worried about carrying the costs until the end of the trip).

For me I would suggest that each family get their own card, or choose not to and everyone pays for their own meals.

Your on vacation and should be relaxing and enjoying your meal and the company.... instead of keeping the books.

If you are the one with the card, you will have to be in charge of the bills and the divisions.

Plus you will have to keep up with who ordered what so that you know how to divide up the bill.

Then throwing in adult or specialty beverages...

Plus if you or someone orders appetizers and desserts to share who pays for this? how do you divide it up. What if someone doesn't share in the appetizer or dessert should they pay for it....

Adding in Taxes and then Tip...

Nightmare :scared:

Remember with a large party they will the add tip on.

Then sometimes people forget what they order.... oh I had 2 glasses of wine... I thought I only had one, or there's a couple of milk shakes on the bill that you saw on the table but which family does it go to. Now no-one can seem to remember...

If you have to split up and sit at different tables this is another issues how to keep up with this.

What I have noticed, is that when you split the bill, that people tend to give you the amount that their meals cost... sometimes drinks get forgotten... as well as the tax and tip gets left off, what they think that they owe.

What happens if Family A figures that their share is 100.00 but in reality its 150.00 once you add in the shared appetizer or whatever and tax and tips get added in. Are you okay with saying by the way you owe me 50.00 more dollars, then the discussion about well I did not order the appetizer why am I paying for it.

When you said "families" is everyone family with you, or are you a group of friends getting together with their families? It's hard enough to ask your own family to pay up... but asking friends to pay, and if they don't agree with your book keeping or what they think that they owe...how is this going to effect you friendship?

For me I would suggest that each family get their own card, or choose not to and everyone pays for their own meals.

Your on vacation and should be relaxing and enjoying your meal and the company.... instead of keeping the books.

If you are the one with the card, you will have to be in charge of the bills and the divisions.

Plus you will have to keep up with who ordered what so that you know how to divide up the bill.

Then throwing in adult or specialty beverages...

Plus if you or someone orders appetizers and desserts to share who pays for this? how do you divide it up. What if someone doesn't share in the appetizer or dessert should they pay for it....

Adding in Taxes and then Tip...

Nightmare :scared:

Remember with a large party they will the add tip on.

Then sometimes people forget what they order.... oh I had 2 glasses of wine... I thought I only had one, or there's a couple of milk shakes on the bill that you saw on the table but which family does it go to. Now no-one can seem to remember...

If you have to split up and sit at different tables this is another issues how to keep up with this.

What I have noticed, is that when you split the bill, that people tend to give you the amount that their meals cost... sometimes drinks get forgotten... as well as the tax and tip gets left off, what they think that they owe.

What happens if Family A figures that their share is 100.00 but in reality its 150.00 once you add in the shared appetizer or whatever and tax and tips get added in. Are you okay with saying by the way you owe me 50.00 more dollars, then the discussion about well I did not order the appetizer why am I paying for it.

When you said "families" is everyone family with you, or are you a group of friends getting together with their families? It's hard enough to ask your own family to pay up... but asking friends to pay, and if they don't agree with your book keeping or what they think that they owe...how is this going to effect you friendship?
Just a FYI - TiW includes an 18% tip regardless of party size. One less thing to worry about calculating.

But I have to agree that it can be a nightmare to figure out when you have a large party where some may be drinking while others don't or some get appetizers while others stick to the bread basket. Or the one family that orders steak and all of the fixings and a dessert to go while another just gets a couple of appetizers in place of an entree.

In cases like these, I prefer to either dine with people who are of a like mind (we all kick into a kitty based on our numbers -less for couples, more for families of 3+). Then the bill and tips get paid from the kitty. We go into the meal knowing that whatever we put in is going to be used now or for the next meal.

If you have someone in your group who is going to balk at this, then they can be the ones on a separate check and not benefit from the TiW discount on their meal.

For me I would suggest that each family get their own card, or choose not to and everyone pays for their own meals. ...
Each family would need to be a Florida resident, AP holder or DVC member to buy the card.

Each family would need to be a Florida resident, AP holder or DVC member to buy the card.
Correct - also -please note - there is a limit of 10 per card - so a party of 12 will require 2 cards..second card for spouse is $50.

Here's the good news - our group of 12 is all family, and 4 of the "families" are my adult kids who are PAYING THEIR OWN WAY!! Well, except that we're all staying on my DVC points. And we are a group of all adults (my 17yos is the youngest member). Anyway, you are all correct that without some pretty strict accounting, chaos will ensue - which is why I asked for help. Thank you to Kaufeegurl - I'm going to try using a combo of Plates by Splitwise and Venmo. Thank you everyone for your great ideas.
fabulous app called 'Splitwise' - will keep track of everyone's costs over a whole trip and then one check/venmo at the end.

I'd just pay for the whole thing and then have each person reimburse me though an electronic payment system like Venmo, Zelle, or my banks solution. That way I get the points/cash back and then they reimburse me after the fact.

Depending on the POS system at teh restaurant you can get the check divided by seat but still pay it as one bill as opposed to individually. If you need to manually track it just use Excel/Google Sheets on your phone. It is easy.

We will be in the same situation so I am reading this card thread closely. I have considered getting an AP so we can get an AP discount at some places that the Visa will not work. I have also looked into the TIW card but I can't make the math work for getting it. Since we are going at Christmas and will need to do the packages and the TIW will not work on those meals.

I believe the AP discount on meals can be used on up to 10 people (maybe the visa too). So, I was trying to figure out what the easiest way it would be to figure out what everyone owes. My family will have 6 people and it would make sense to add 4 more to our ticket. I think it will still boil down to putting it on the room charge, taking the receipt back to the room and figuring, and then letting everyone apply that amount toward the room charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter