Dividing hotel room for privacy

Status
Not open for further replies.

smscrapbooks

Mouseketeer
Any ideas for dividing up a room so parents can have privacy and kids can sleep? My husband is a quadriplegic and would live to have some privacy when I'm doing his medical care in the morning and at night. I have to turn on lights to get him ready and this will wake up the kids alot earlier than I'd like. We'd really like for them to sleep in a little.

Depends on where you and your and packing limitations. Rooms are rather small for an easy partition that doesn't involve attaching a sheet to the ceiling .

I am assuming you must u we the bed to assist your husband.

I would look into suite hotels where the bedroom as a door. Often places like an Embassy Suited will work for this. Kids would get the sofa bed in the living area.

For onsite, consider renting points for a 1BR DVC.

Disabilities board may have some practical ideas for a standard room.

There's really no way to accomplish this in a standard hotel room.

If you want to stay onsite, a family suite or renting DVC points are going to be your best bets.

If you're willing to stay offsite, there are a lot of terrific options. There are many, many offsite condos that cost less than $100 per night.

We have two adjoining rooms for most of our stay. The tricky part is our 3 nights at the Poly. We can't afford two rooms there and we definitely want to stay there so staying elsewhere isn't an option. I have also posted on the disability board for ideas. Surely someone out there has divided up the room. If I'm the first, I'll be sure to post pics when I get back!! :goodvibes

Keep in mind that they will not let you hang anything for the ceiling or the walls.

good luck and let us know how it works. While we don't have a disability, we have people that have different sleep needs and we have never figured out how to manage isolation in a typical hotel room. If you can do everything in the bathroom with the door shut, that would work. We did stay at a place once (not WDW) and there was a folding screen in the studio apartment. We used it in a corner to block off a place for our oldest DS to sleep when he was a toddler. Would not keep out the light, and you could not bring it along unless you had a large van, but it is the only option I can think of.

It looks like you could tie a lightweight rope around the top of the headboard posts and string it across the room to attach to the top of the TV unit (with a clamp and/or a wire coat hanger bent to fit against the wall). Sheet over the rope, and done.

Could you use sleeping masks for the kids? Claires and dollar stores sell some cute ones for kids. If they will not keep them on all night, perhaps you can slip them on the kids just before you turn the lights on? This will keep the light from waking them up.

Any ideas for dividing up a room so parents can have privacy and kids can sleep? My husband is a quadriplegic and would live to have some privacy when I'm doing his medical care in the morning and at night. I have to turn on lights to get him ready and this will wake up the kids alot earlier than I'd like. We'd really like for them to sleep in a little.

Request a handicap King/Double. We had similar needs.

not much you can do if you are in a standard room unless you can get him out of bed without turning on the lights and then do whatever needs to be done in the sink area as there is a privacy curtain in some hotels and a privacy door in others.

if that does not sound feasible to do then i would suggest either staying in a family suite at all star music or art of animation.
the kids could sleep in the living room where there are multiple sleeping arrangements and you and your husband could take the bedroom.
or stay in the cabins at fort wilderness. the kids could sleep in the bedroom as there are multiple beds and you and your husband could sleep in the living area where there is one pull out bed.

If you are crafty you could bring some PVC pipe and a sheet.

Here is a sample divider you could build an bring with you (in pieces and you would need to cut lengths smaller) http://www.dandelionsonthewall.com/2012/04/diy-photography-backdrop-stand-pvc-pipe.html

It looks like it would be light and not take too much room up in a suitcase if you have it in pieces. It may be a bit much, but it is an option.

I was thinking folding room divider until I saw this. I had a 3-section laundry sorter that was made of similar piping. (The plastic pipe eventually broke with age and that's why I have a metal one now.) Pipes and joints are probably widely available in different sizes so that you could get parts for some sort of frame and then put a curtain on it.

Get those hangers from 3M that stick to the walls but don't leave damage. They have kinds that are like hooks and will hold a good amount of weight. You can grab some room darkening curtains and strong yarn/twine and tie it from one hook to the other.

Then you can just pull the tabs and and toss them.

Get those hangers from 3M that stick to the walls but don't leave damage. They have kinds that are like hooks and will hold a good amount of weight. You can grab some room darkening curtains and strong yarn/twine and tie it from one hook to the other.

Then you can just pull the tabs and and toss them.

You still need to be very careful with those. They can, and sometimes do, rip paint off of the walls. Plus, I think you are supposed to let them set for a while before you hook anything to them.

You still need to be very careful with those. They can, and sometimes do, rip paint off of the walls. Plus, I think you are supposed to let them set for a while before you hook anything to them.

yeah.. it's an hour set time. I use them for everything between our house and yacht for hanging pictures and things.
I yet to have any damage. It is a risk, a small one, but..

If it were me I would call the Poly up and see what they have available for guests with disabilities, I'm sure there is something or at least some ideas they could give you.

I know for us, I plan on bringing some sleep masks for our next trip, I am an early riser and was always up before everyone else trying to get everything ready and organized, unfortunately when kids are in Disney the slightest things seem to wake them and then they are up and ready to go ;)

What if you buy a bed tent like this for your kids? You can just zip it closed in the AM so you don't wake them. It fits over your mattress and comes in most bed sizes.

315xaaKN0GL._SX300_.jpg

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/216355-privacy-pop-bed-tent-pink.html

My kids have a toy called Crazy Forts that is rods that connect together to create blanket forts, they can be built up a lot of ways, I built a fort above their bed once and draped a sheet over it to make them a tent and they slept in it for about a week.

It's going to be hard to do that in a regular Disney resort room. Even if you could rig something up, housekeeping/security is likely going to want to take it down each day, if not outright prohibit it.

Realistically, you're going to need a suite, so there can be multiple bedrooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter