DLR NEWBIE - Hold my hand please

Peach026

Mouseketeer
HOWDY PARTNER!

WDW veteran here, family of four (ages will be 7&9 for the anticipated trip). We've been waiting to go to DLR since my eldest was born! East coasters, we wanted to make sure they'd be ok (read: tolerable) on the flights. I've been to WDW at least 10 times in the last 10 years, kids are also park veterans, but we all have never (ever!) been to DL!

The scoop is we KNOW we want to go in the fall for Oogie Boogie Bash 2021. HUGE halloween fans, this year is the first MNSSHP we are missing in 5 years in a row. Darn COVID! I know nothing about DL though. We are DVC members using points, so don't need any hotel help. But I do need help with a lot and I'm having trouble digging through the threads. TY in advance for your patience with this newbie! Can the experts share their input on
- transport from the airport (and is LAX best from New England?)
- how many nights? How to figure in Oogie Boogie into this too :)
- optimal time frame for lower crowd level? At least historically.. I know its all in the air bc of COVID
- absolute MUST do's, anything special at Downtown Disney? What DL exclusive stuff do we NEED to see other than the different rides?
- what advice would you give to a WDW veteran on their first trip to DL? Especially with kiddos?
- what else are must dos on the west coast? I'm researching a couple days in San Diego... not sure what else!

Welcome! Here are a few threads to give you a general overview of what Halloween Time has been like at DLR in the past. Keep in mind, please (!), that no one has any idea yet what next year will be like -- Disney has not released any official information about that -- so keep up to date with these boards to know all the new rules, changes as they happen, new offerings/cancellations, etc. That said, happy reading! And come on back with any questions. :)

Halloween Time Superthread 2020: Oogie's Back!! And Other Halloween Time Information -- Please Read Post 1! (OBB DATES CANCELLED 7/24/20)

Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information -- this is the last year that OBB and Halloween Time happened "normally," so read this more carefully to see how things roll during this very popular, busy time at DLR

A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- pre-pandemic, but very good read for you anyway

Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information ~ 3TinksAndAnEeyore -- page one and the last few pages will be more useful for you with all the COVID changes -- SNA (John Wayne airport) is the closest to DLR -- LAX usually has the lowest fares

HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- tons of great info here, but all pre-COVID, so keep that in mind

First, don’t plan as much as Disneyworld, this is a much more laid back experience. I tell people don’t try to fit Disneyland to you, fit yourself to Disneyland. If you try swimming upstream you are going to have a bad time. You can plan meals and parades/night shows, but not much else.

You can do everything in the parks in 3 days. (Really you can do it in 2 but then you aren’t paying attention to the first rule)

As for downtown Disney, I vote for a crazy shake from black tap.

If you are looking to do Halloween I would suggest mid to late September. Crowds have a way of picking up in October.

* all of this with the caveat of assuming we are back to normal this time next year (I think we will)

Halloween is very fun at DL!! I would say do at least 4 days if you plan to do a Halloween party. And I would make sure one of your park days is on a weekend, so you can take advantage of any nighttime entertainment (depending if it’s around by then). Entertainment is moved to the weekends during this time of the year.

I would suggest going in mid/late September. Downside to that is September tends to be very hot, dry, and wild-fire prone.October is better weather-wise, but many surrounding states have fall break and come to DL and cause major crowds. Again,covid may change the fall break situation, but it’s good to keep in mind.

I also want to reiterate the planning situation. DL is much more laidback. I would keep an eye on the threads on the DL side to keep up with any changes.

Make sure you check out the DVC section for advice on how to improve your chances of getting into VGC. It's extremely difficult to book unless you own there.

Assuming things are back to normal, be sure to be familiar with MaxPass. Very different (and better) system than WDW’s fastpass.

Not sure if you park hop at WDW. Plan on doing so at DLR.

Good advice so far from above posts. Assuming things are back to normal by then, don’t worry about crowds too much - it’s a very popular and busy time of year so there will be crowds. Just accept that and give yourself plenty of time to do the things you want to accomplish. Non-holiday weekdays are lighter than weekends, and mornings are lighter than evenings, especially around Halloweentime since everyone wants to see the parks after the sun goes down for that Halloween ambience.

Also, see World of Color at DCA. It’s great! Depending on how they operate the Halloween party, the regular WoC may only be at certain times or nights, while a special Halloween version could be on party nights.

Make sure you check out the DVC section for advice on how to improve your chances of getting into VGC. It's extremely difficult to book unless you own there.
^this

OP I know you said you don’t want hotel help but VGC was difficult to get if you didn’t own there before this COVID mess extended points expirations. I wouldn’t be surprised if VGC became basically impossible to get next year with DVC points for anyone who doesn’t own there. If your heart is set on this trip I really encourage you to be ready with backup hotel plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter