DLR REOPENING SUPERTHREAD (DL & DCA TBA; VGC POSTPONED; DTD OPENED 7/09/20 & BVS 11/19/20): KEEP CHECKING FIRST PAGE FOR OFFICIAL DLR UPDATES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A reminder for everyone posting here: The title says it all. This Superthread is for official news and updates regarding the DLR reopening (DL, DCA, DTD, and hotels). All speculation about the reopening needs to go in the Disneyland Reopening Speculation Thread on the Disneyland Community Board.
For those posting official news with sources/links, thank you for keeping all of us updated!

I don’t find this specifically mentioned in the DTD temperature & security Info —Is DTD doing bag checks at this time? Finally will be heading down soon and want to be prepared if needed. Thx.

I don’t find this specifically mentioned in the DTD temperature & security Info —Is DTD doing bag checks at this time? Finally will be heading down soon and want to be prepared if needed. Thx.
Yes, bag checks going on as usual, just with CMs behind plexiglass. The order of the tents is 1) temp check, 2) dog check, 3) bag check.

Dog check?
From the MP DLR Update (7/13-19/20):
Arrival and screening
The new measures are noticeable as you arrive to Downtown Disney, with street signs advising that masks are required to enter the area. After parking in the Downtown Disney lot, signs guide visitors to the first of three screening tents. Disney has partnered with Hoag Health to conduct the temperature screenings, which are done with a handheld, no-contact temperature scanner.

Visitors are then asked to take any bags or backpacks off their shoulders before passing through the next checkpoint, staffed by Disney security and specially trained "vapor wake" dogs. Disney has used these dogs since 2015 to help detect explosives that might be worn on the body or concealed in baggage.

Finally, visitors go to the now-familiar bag check tents and pass their bags underneath a plexiglass barrier to a waiting cast member, who examines the bag and passes it back. After a walk through the metal detector, it's on to Downtown Disney. The whole process took just minutes during two visits last week, though the wait to get to the first checkpoint can vary quite a bit depending on how many people are in line. With groups asked to maintain social distance of six feet between parties, it's fairly difficult to estimate just how long of a wait any given line really represents.

1) Temp Check

2) K-9 Walk Through Screening Tent/Dog Check

3) Bag Check and Metal Detectors

From the MP DLR Update (7/13-19/20):
Arrival and screening
The new measures are noticeable as you arrive to Downtown Disney, with street signs advising that masks are required to enter the area. After parking in the Downtown Disney lot, signs guide visitors to the first of three screening tents. Disney has partnered with Hoag Health to conduct the temperature screenings, which are done with a handheld, no-contact temperature scanner.

Visitors are then asked to take any bags or backpacks off their shoulders before passing through the next checkpoint, staffed by Disney security and specially trained "vapor wake" dogs. Disney has used these dogs since 2015 to help detect explosives that might be worn on the body or concealed in baggage.

Finally, visitors go to the now-familiar bag check tents and pass their bags underneath a plexiglass barrier to a waiting cast member, who examines the bag and passes it back. After a walk through the metal detector, it's on to Downtown Disney. The whole process took just minutes during two visits last week, though the wait to get to the first checkpoint can vary quite a bit depending on how many people are in line. With groups asked to maintain social distance of six feet between parties, it's fairly difficult to estimate just how long of a wait any given line really represents.
I’m really disappointed DLR doesn’t yet have the walk through security WDW has. (Hopefully it’s just because they don’t have an official opening date and we’ll see movement on this front when one comes down from the powers that be!)

I did not know the dogs were for explosives, I thought it was for covid. We have been to DTD a few times, security is not an issue, but parking can be. One time parking was closed, even though it was not full, they do close it often, so we parked at the Garden Walk. Small parking fee and a short walk but that side of security was totally empty

Organizers of Gay Days Anaheim (which is usually the first full weekend in October) sent out this message:

gaydays_anaheim_logo.jpg

Hey there, hi there, ho there….

We know that you have all been anxiously awaiting some clarity on both the Disneyland Resort and Gay Days Anaheim. Us too. We had a long meeting with Disney today and we are pleased to say that we finally have some answers.
As many of you know, Disneyland is still awaiting guidelines from Governor Newsom which, as recently as today, he said would be coming “soon.” But Disney knows that it will take them a bit of time to have their cast members back at work and ready to make magic. They were able to say with clarity today that our October dates won’t be possible this year.

We are disappointed too, but wait… there’s more…

WE ARE NOT CANCELLING

Instead we are postponing and expect to be able to announce a new date within the next few days. We can say this much, however—wouldn’t it be fun to experience Gay Days when the parks are decked out for the holidays?

We also want to report that we have just returned from an exploratory mission to Walt Disney World. We wanted to see what their safety protocols looked like and how comfortable we feel about moving ahead this year. We were very pleased to see that the parks really did everything they could do to ensure guest safety. Capacity was severely limited, social distancing was enforced everywhere, masks were mandated (and guests complied), and hand sanitizers practically outnumbered the guests. Assuming that similar measures are in place in California, we feel very comfortable having Gay Days at Disneyland. We continue to believe that a modified Gay Days is better than no Gay Days as long as it’s safe, and we now feel confident about that.

So, what do you need to do? Nothing. If you currently have a hotel reservation in October, you need not take any action. Your reservation will automatically be cancelled within the next few days and your deposit refunded. We will have new booking information available very soon.

We’ll be in touch. And in the meantime, we hope that you are all staying safe and sane. We’ll be together again.

New on site hotel cancellations:
https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...shes-back-opening-for-theme-parks-and-hotels/
Cancellations now go through 10/03/20. New on site reservations start 10/16/20. The first page of this superthread has been updated.

This made me very sad. I was secretly planning a Gay Days trip Sept 28 thru Oct 5, but seeing this coupled with the email from Gay Days, made me cry. We have had quite of few trips cancelled and rescheduled, that this last one I didn't tell anyone in the family because I didn't want to get their hopes up and then shot down again. Our last day on our DAPs is Oct 3. My heart goes out to So Cal AP holders. I tell myself, well, we are a 5 hour drive away, so it isn't as bad if we lived in CA.
(((Big hugs to all)))

This made me very sad. I was secretly planning a Gay Days trip Sept 28 thru Oct 5, but seeing this coupled with the email from Gay Days, made me cry. We have had quite of few trips cancelled and rescheduled, that this last one I didn't tell anyone in the family because I didn't want to get their hopes up and then shot down again. Our last day on our DAPs is Oct 3. My heart goes out to So Cal AP holders. I tell myself, well, we are a 5 hour drive away, so it isn't as bad if we lived in CA.
(((Big hugs to all)))
Hug to you, too. It really is hard cancelling and re-cancelling trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter