Do I really have to book PSs 90 days out?

Castillo Mom

DIS Veteran
I'm having a really tough time trying to figure out where to eat when. I'm 3-4 weeks out from the 90 day mark for our first day at WDW. I know what restaurants we want to try but it's hard to know where you'll be when park hours haven't been released yet.

Do I really have to book 90 days out, or can I wait unti they release hours, which for me won't be until June. I just don't want to risk waiting and then being told there's no availability at our restaurant(s) of choice. Here's my list:

Chef Mickey's
Boma
Sci-Fi Dine In
Cape May Cafe
Ohana
California Grill (maybe)
Coral Reef (maybe)

Any advice? Wait till June or make PSs at the 90 day mark?

of the ones listed, the ones i would NOT make PS for are: SciFi. all the rest are very popular and waiting might result in not getting the time or date or both that you want. also, which meal at cape may--breakfast or dinner? if dinner, then definitely make the PS 90 days out. when we went there was a long line even w/the PS! i would rather have a PS and not need it, than need a PS and can't get it!:tongue:

The General Rule of thumb is make a PS ahead of time if you are visiting during a school holiday, want to do a charater meal or want to dine at one of the more popular restaurants.

Pretty much all the restaurants you have listed fall into the popular restaurant catagory with the exception of Coral Reef. I would not recommend this one anyway. Cal Grill, Sci Fi & Chef Mickeys's are very popular, so i would call on these early.

IF you are visiting wdw on a holiday then making a ps at the 90 day mark is a must. Otherwise you can do it later.

For Chef Mickeys, Bomas & Ohana those all go fast. I would make my PS then maybe you can change them. Try to find last years hours they might be close to the same.

Kae

I would book everything 90 days out. You can always call and change the time or date if you want. It's better to be safe than sorry.

-DH

Originally posted by disney queen
of the ones listed, the ones i would NOT make PS for are: SciFi. all the rest are very popular and waiting might result in not getting the time or date or both that you want. also, which meal at cape may--breakfast or dinner? if dinner, then definitely make the PS 90 days out. when we went there was a long line even w/the PS! i would rather have a PS and not need it, than need a PS and can't get it!:tongue:

Since we're staying at BC, we'll be doing both breakfast and dinner but of course on different days.

I'm in my 90 day window and started making PS's yesterday. Today, I called for Cindy's (GOT IT!!) and after scheduling that one, I asked about Ohana for that night. It was already booked for PS's between 5:20 and 6:40!! I got 6:40, but still, that's a long window for no PS's. The CM and WDW dining said that there might be a large party that has already schedule dinner for that time. so, make your PS's as soon as you can. You can always try to juggle them later, but at least you'll get PS's for the places you want. Chef Mickey's is another popular place, and it is usually sold out pretty quickly as well.

I am 40 days out and just today called and got my choice of times for a Boma breakfast the weekend of Memorial Day.

I would make a PS for all, including Sci-Fi. The last couple of times, I called right at the 90 (60) day mark and didn't get a good seating time for Sci-Fi... I think they have a limited amount of tables for PS and more for walk-ins, but the walk-in wait is horrendous if you decide to go there on a whim.

Thank you all so much for your replies. Ok, I'm going to stick to plan A which is to go ahead and do the 90 day thing.

This seems to be the most stressful part of the planning. This is our first trip and I know we won't be going back any time soon, so I want things to run as smoothly as possible.

Don't give up on a PS. Try even 2 weeks before - if you could not get the place/time you wanted.

MOST people are polite and cancel their PS if their plans have
changed. :teeth:

Also for Cindy's - try calling WDW dine the day before you
want to go - maybe around 3pm, the day before.
For people who make Cinderella Castle magical Character
breakfast PS - they have to leave a deposit. Most people
do not want to loose any cash at WDW - and will cancel the
day before to get their deposit back. ;)

On our second trip- we called WDW dine at 3pm from our resort
and had breakfast at Cindy's at 9:30 am the next day on a Magical Morning. Perfect timing. We rode 4 rides before breakfast and while drinking our OJ and eatting wonderful muffins, we watched the crowds form a line around Cinderella's Merry Go Round. :tongue:

I'm a big believer in making PS's. You can always cancel them if your schedule changes.

Should you do it 90 days ahead of time? I would and I do!! Gotta love the PS's:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter