Do Not Disturb Gone! (BLT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this new policy where a person can come in at anytime and turn the lights on while people maybe sleeping or doing other unmentionable stuff, has me upset. The story someone told that he was forced out by security so they could turn the lights on and search, even though the wife and child were sleeping, has me unnerved.
Apologies for singling your post out, because I think you and I are on the same page with this issue! But I really want to reiterate that no report I've seen yet has said that anyone was forced out of their rooms. No one has said housekeeping or security has broken in to do a room check. What has been reported is that CMs have said they "must" enter and occupants opened the door and let them in. Some occupants were told they had to leave the room, and they did. That isn't force - that's choice. If a credible report comes along to prove otherwise, I'll happily accept it, but as of now, I simply do not believe that anyone is being forced to do anything.

~~~

A couple random thoughts I've had...

1. If I'm traveling alone, and I've engaged all inside door locks, and I'm in the shower with the fan running, can't hear knocking at the door, I assume housekeeping/security will use their key to try to enter, since they get no response. At that point, the flip lock will engage, telling them that the room is occupied and halting their progress into the room. Does anyone actually think official protocol will be to immediately break the flip lock and enter?! This could happen dozens of times per floor per day! That's a whole lot of breaking of locks. I just do not believe that's WDW's plan.

2. If we assume that WDW isn't in the business of breaking into a locked room every time the occupant is in the bathroom and unable to answer the door, why is it unreasonable to expect that if there's a second occupant, he/she should be able to answer the door and say, "Now is not a good time, as my spouse/friend/child/whatever is in the bathroom/napping/ill," close the door and assume housekeeping/security will try again at another time?

3. How will this be implemented at campsites? Will WDW be visiting every tent and RV each day, requesting a tour?

Some occupants were told they had to leave the room, and they did. That isn't force - that's choice. If a credible report comes along to prove otherwise, I'll happily accept it, but as of now, I simply do not believe that anyone is being forced to do anything.
In these cases I think it's how you look at it.

If being told to exit the room: A hotel employee is telling you to vacate the room. Possibly running through someone's mind is what occurs if they choose not to follow the employees directive even if the directive makes them uncomfortable. Plenty of people have said across a variety of threads on a variety of topics "It's Disney's property--if you don't like what they are doing stay elsewhere". I think most people if they balk at being told to vacate the room are likely considering the consequences of not. Of course the consequences may be nothing at all..but that requires one to actually know that.

It's a valid question though I'm not sure I would want to be the guinea pig on that.

2. If we assume that WDW isn't in the business of breaking into a locked room every time the occupant is in the bathroom and unable to answer the door, why is it unreasonable to expect that if there's a second occupant, he/she should be able to answer the door and say, "Now is not a good time, as my spouse/friend/child/whatever is in the bathroom/napping/ill," close the door and assume housekeeping/security will try again at another time?
That would work so long as the other person in the room is capable of doing so.

If the other occupant is sleeping they would be unable to answer the door unless they woke up immediately to do so. If they were dressing themselves they would have to rely on voicing loud enough to wait so they could be dressed to answer. If they were a child depends on how old the child is and what responsibilities they have been given.

FWIW I don't think Disney is in the business of breaking in a locked room if the 'security check' is just a normal one vs one where they felt something was very off inside the room (which hasn't happened yet since this policy started).

If they were a child depends on how old the child is and what responsibilities they have been given.
That's a great point. My child has been told from day 1 not to open the door to anyone but me. No question in my mind he wouldn't open the door. Actually, I seriously doubt he'd answer a knock, either, but that has more to do with being autistic than any kind of training. I'm always happy when he actually does open the door for me, lol!

FWIW I don't think Disney is in the business of breaking in a locked room if the 'security check' is just a normal one vs one where they felt something was very off inside the room (which hasn't happened yet since this policy started).
ITA. Until I hear otherwise, that's exactly how I see it going.

No way would I let someone drag a bag with other people's trash around my room. This is disgusting!
They should be able to pull up the bag of trash from your container and take it out. There are usually several other bags in the bottom of the trash can to be pulled up after it is emptied.

Is there anything printed in Disney’s terms & conditions indicating that they’re doing these security checks? Or are hotel guests mandated by some law (whether local, state, or national) to allow hotel personnel into their room? And do they have to provide identification?

It just seems like anyone can claim to be a security guard and intimidate unsuspecting guests to open their rooms.

I’m legitimately wondering if I legally have to open my door to a stranger.

Any lawyers or friends of lawyers around? Or was this already discussed elsewhere and I missed it?

I re-read the report from the person staying at Pop...again, I understand why WDW is implementing the change, but some of it just doesn't make sense. Maybe it will be adjusted in time, but I continue to struggle with housekeeping staff being designated as the first line of security - even if they've had some brief training (maybe, I don't know :confused3), and have always been instructed to "keep their eyes open". It's still a different job with a different set of responsibilities, skills, and risks. Reading that account, specifically that the CM said the man had to leave the room, my first thought was that she allowed the woman and child to continue sleeping in the room. If the CM is really inspecting for weapons or whatever, she left herself in a vulnerable position entering the room with someone she can't fully assess, in this case lying down on the bed. I know that this was just naptime and no one was at risk, but if the purpose is to increase security (in addition to CYA), it just seems like a hodgepodge approach.

Is there anything printed in Disney’s terms & conditions indicating that they’re doing these security checks? Or are hotel guests mandated by some law (whether local, state, or national) to allow hotel personnel into their room? And do they have to provide identification?

It just seems like anyone can claim to be a security guard and intimidate unsuspecting guests to open their rooms.

Any lawyers or friends of lawyers around? Or was this already discussed elsewhere and I missed it?
< not a lawyer! But here are FL state statutes governing lodging: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0500-0599/0509/0509.html
Nothing stands out to me as directly applicable to this situation. In general, by renting a room, you agree to abide by the establishment's rules, and the establishment must provide those rules in writing.

509.101 Establishment rules; posting of notice; food service inspection report; maintenance of guest register; mobile food dispensing vehicle registry.—
(1) Any operator of a public lodging establishment or a public food service establishment may establish reasonable rules and regulations for the management of the establishment and its guests and employees; and each guest or employee staying, sojourning, eating, or employed in the establishment shall conform to and abide by such rules and regulations so long as the guest or employee remains in or at the establishment. Such rules and regulations shall be deemed to be a special contract between the operator and each guest or employee using the services or facilities of the operator. Such rules and regulations shall control the liabilities, responsibilities, and obligations of all parties. Any rules or regulations established pursuant to this section shall be printed in the English language and posted in a prominent place within such public lodging establishment or public food service establishment. In addition, any operator of a public food service establishment shall maintain a copy of the latest food service inspection report and shall make it available to the division at the time of any division inspection of the establishment and to the public, upon request.

But I did learn that anything with a burning wick is prohibited, and WDW is required to provide potable water...

I spoke with my friend who teaches Constitutional law at Harvard. She told me that this is an issue outside of Governmental Jurisdiction. It's private property. Its contractual between you as a consenting adult and a private party. The terms are in the contract (terms and agreements). Period. The only rights you have are statutory i.e. the laws governing the State of Florida as they pertain to activities that are illegal and your rights therein. Any other law that applies to your Constitutional rights on private property would have to be by an act of Congress i.e. discrimination for example or handicap mandates for example. Basically its private property and they can do essentially anything the hell they like provided they notify you prior ...in the form of contract. There is some movement afoot to force the contracts to be more VISABLE..but as of now they are buried in the fine print. No party can be held liable and all contracts are void if whats in a contract is illegal..ie you must be 18 to enter into a binding agreement...or if the contact says you must agree to engage in illegalities...it would then be null and void. Disney can do anything they want..including placing cameras and microphones in your room if they notify you via a contact. Hope that helps.

PS I would imagine that if you blocked their entry or refused to open the door to them they would return with managerial personnel and probably local law inforcement and at that juncture it would be obvious who they were (through the peephole).. I just don't see this as being a realistic concern for anyone on these boards. I just don't see how it would come down to that.

Last edited:
I spoke with my friend who teaches Constitutional law at Harvard. She told me that this is an issue outside of Governmental Jurisdiction. It's private property. Its contractual between you as a consenting adult and a private party. The terms are in the contract (terms and agreements). Period. The only rights you have are statutory i.e. the laws governing the State of Florida as they pertain to activities that are illegal and your rights therein. Any other law that applies to your Constitutional rights on private property would have to be by an act of Congress i.e. discrimination for example or handicap mandates for example. Basically its private property and they can do essentially anything the hell they like provided they notify you prior ...in the form of contract. There is some movement afoot to force the contracts to be more VISABLE..but as of now they are buried in the fine print. No party can be held liable and all contracts are void if whats in a contract is illegal..ie you must be 18 to enter into a binding agreement...or if the contact says you must agree to engage in illegalities...it would then be null and void. Disney can do anything they want..including placing cameras and microphones in your room if they notify you via a contact. Hope that helps.

PS I would imagine that if you blocked their entry or refused to open the door to them they would return with managerial personnel and probably local law inforcement and at that juncture it would be obvious who they were (through the peephole).. I just don't see this as being a realistic concern for anyone on these boards. I just don't see how it would come down to that.

Thanks for the info!

I would just be reluctant to open the door, especially to an unidentified male, if my husband weren’t in the room with me. I mean seriously, if they aren’t carrying some sort of ID, anyone can run around and pretend to be “security.” I realize I’m probably overthinking this, but I’m a 5’3, 112 lb female with a 2 year old child. I don’t even open my door at home if I don’t know the person.

I will say that we tend to be gone during the hours this is going on...we stay in the parks all day and then come back early evening to put our son to bed. So, I’m hoping we won’t run into any issues.

I apologize if this has already been covered but are the Disney Springs area hotels a part of this nonsense?

Thanks for the info!

I would just be reluctant to open the door, especially to an unidentified male, if my husband weren’t in the room with me. I mean seriously, if they aren’t carrying some sort of ID, anyone can run around and pretend to be “security.” I realize I’m probably overthinking this, but I’m a 5’3, 112 lb female with a 2 year old child. I don’t even open my door at home if I don’t know the person.

I will say that we tend to be gone during the hours this is going on...we stay in the parks all day and then come back early evening to put our son to bed. So, I’m hoping we won’t run into any issues.
I really don't think you will be effected by this at all. You'll be in the parks and they'll do their room clean/check at that time nine times out of ten. It will be the people who spend time in the room for what ever reason and wish to be left alone for what ever reason that will object to and be put off by this policy.
Have a good time when you go. Bring your own magic and report back to us your experience and observations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!