Do people think your rich because you go to Disney every year?

You know, when we were younger, we used to brag about how much money we SPENT on things- now, we brag about how much we SAVE on things.

Funny how you change with age and children!!!

My kids know we stay at Deluxes only if there is a good discount, but then again they are happy at Disney no matter where we stay!

I do keep seeing a pattern about being DVC members... We are so excited that we r now members and it is helping us visit the place that we love more.

For us financially our first priority is saving for a secure future. The second is vacation. Travel is very important to us. We have a very modest home, cars, clothes etc relative to our income. Those who know my husband's profession and who can guess at his income don't understand why our house is small or why my husband drives a civic. But we put about 50% of our income in savings and spend about 15% a year on travel. We don't have any mortgages or loans and I am very frugal. We try to do a Disney trip each year as well as a more "worldly trip" that we feel will broaden our family's horizons. (Europe, Asia, etc) It's all in how you prioritize.

Well, my family and some of our friends do. But, we live in a relatively smaller home, our girls go to public schools (some of our friends' kids go to private schools), our kids only play 1 sport per year, other than school related ones and we save and clip coupons, don't eat out. All of it adds up, so no we aren't richer but we certainly take better vacations than they do.

I always get that from friends, coworkers and family ... even more so since I was laid off a year ago and we are planning our annual May trip this year. Well, first of all, it's no one's business but ours. Second, our bills are paid and our savings is taken care of. Third, we skipped 2009 because of the unemployment and I have been pinching the heck out of every penny to be able to go in 2010. We, as we do every year, have the trip paid for up front and never "charge it." Plus, we are very frugal with our trips: drive, bring our food, stay in the military hotel, get military discounts, don't buy a lot of extras and take advantage of such things as the free water throughout the parks and splitting a double cheeseburger meal.

All I have to say is that I guess those of us who are lucky enough to go to the World often are rich in so many other ways. It is not our faults those others don't know how to handle their money! :rotfl::rotfl::thumbsup2

Plus, if everyone knew DISer secrets, the parks would be even more crowded! Non-DISers can stay home. More room for us.:yay:

I think alot of my relatives think we are rich and maybe compared to them we are. But really DH is in the military and sorry to say folks this line of work doesn't create alot of millionaires!! :sad1: We do make very good decisions with our money which allowes us to enjoy trips to WDW. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay:

Sorry. Typed something and changed my mind ... and don't know how to just delete the post.

I think alot of my relatives think we are rich and maybe compared to them we are. But really DH is in the military and sorry to say folks this line of work doesn't create alot of millionaires!! :sad1: We do make very good decisions with our money which allowes us to enjoy trips to WDW. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yay:

Do you do Shades? I'm retired Army and we use Shades every year. Can't beat the place.

This will be our first trip (probably going again in the fall) and then DH wants to go every year from now on (works for me!!) I KNOW we will probably hear about it at some point.

We are NOT rich by any means. I kind of get that treatment now because my kids wear nice clothes and stuff. I DO NOT spend anymore than I would at Walmart for pity sakes. I do coupons and thrift stores..etc. I KNOW we are going to get that from people. Especially if we do go 2x our first year. But you can get such awesome deals that it is NOT super $$$$! If people stopped complaining and did some homework they would find that out.

Please, don't ever feel it is necessary to defend your spending habits to anyone. We all find a way to finance the things that are most important to us. .

absolutely.

I've encountered this before and simply explained that I dont drink much alcohol, dont smoke and dont gamble where the person I was talking to did all three. I told them to do a bit of maths and see how much they spend.

I agree with those who say that people who say this to us think that we are richer than they are. The only time it really irks me is the 'I don't have any money' sob stories that then spend a ton on overnight Valentine packages at nearby spas, give hundred(s) dollar gifts to each other for birthdays, etc. I have no problem with people who want to do that - but if you do, don't complain to me about having 'no money'. I have tried explaining that it is how you budget and saving in other areas (to which one friend actually said 'what budget category does getting my hair colored fall into?' (I have colored mine at home for $7 for years - that's likely at least $250 extra in my WDW fund over them each year)). Some people just get it into their heads that they have 'no money' and honestly don't think they can get out of that. They don't SEE that they spend just as much but just on other things. Some sort of blinders I think...

Although I will admit - those staying at Deluxes I DO consider rich, even though some may not be.

And those at DVC...Not saying rich but as for staying for 'free' - I likely pay about the same or less amount for my room yearly (at Values - off season, with discount) than you do in annual dues (or at least most people do with annual dues - I guess if you have low points it might not be). So, to me - you are paying for your lodging anyway - just paying about the same price/slightly more for nicer accomodations. I just don't see it as free. Which is why, I guess, I have opted out of buying into DVC even tho we have considered it seriously a couple of times.

This discussion would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it there now.

Hiya,

mmmm interesting discussion..... We are in the UK and have to fly out so don't go every year - also with Europe on the doorstep it would be a crying shame to never holiday over there, and with our own country crying out for holidaymakers, we don't get to WDW as often as we would like....

But anyhow - "richness" is all relative...

I grew up in a council estate (housing provided by our local government) with nothing, no extras for winter coats, clothes, shoes all hand me downs - but we had more than the people down the street living in our equivalent of a trailer park. We had fun, no holidays, but holidays aren't everything.

Now having slogged my way "up" through education, hard work and applying myself to a career, then marriage, then motherhood I am in a position I would call rich - we saved for 2 years for our coming holiday, don't go out much, have a 10 year old car, a small house - but heck yes I'm rich!!! All depends where you "came" from.

Tessa

If someone is genuinly asking "how do you afford it" then thats one thing, but when people are rolling eyes and snickering about you going and it's so expensive, blah, blah, blah then thats another thing. The people that give us attitude about going again and how much money it costs, etc. I feel bad for. Basically, they are jealous and wouldn't know a good time if it hit them in the face. There I said it!!
We have gone other places than Disney and we usually wind up spending more. We went to Wash DC and Williamsburg, VA for a week last summer, had a good time but didnt feel like I got my monies worth. We have done Wildwood,NJ too, again lots of fun but everything you did cost money. We always feel like we're opening our wallets constantly when we go anywhere else.
Basically, its preference, we know how to have fun so we go to Disney and others dont because ??????????? :laughing::lmao:

Wow, I am such a Disney snob!!!! :woohoo:

There's a lot of class envy in this world. Many people want to have more money, yet they resent others who they perceive have more money than they do! There's nothing wrong with being well-off financially - as long as you obtained your money honestly and legally.

Hiya,

mmmm interesting discussion..... We are in the UK and have to fly out so don't go every year - also with Europe on the doorstep it would be a crying shame to never holiday over there, and with our own country crying out for holidaymakers, we don't get to WDW as often as we would like....

But anyhow - "richness" is all relative...

I grew up in a council estate (housing provided by our local government) with nothing, no extras for winter coats, clothes, shoes all hand me downs - but we had more than the people down the street living in our equivalent of a trailer park. We had fun, no holidays, but holidays aren't everything.

Now having slogged my way "up" through education, hard work and applying myself to a career, then marriage, then motherhood I am in a position I would call rich - we saved for 2 years for our coming holiday, don't go out much, have a 10 year old car, a small house - but heck yes I'm rich!!! All depends where you "came" from.

Tessa
Cheers Tessa:drinking1. Jenn. V

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter