• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do we really need directions??

chesirechik

<font color=blue>Reads AND responds to threads!<br
We will be renting a car for the first time in WDW. Do we need written directions to get from MCO to POFQ or are there enough signs on the roads that we'll be fine? We were planning on stopping at a store for food, supplies, etc. DF seems to think that we'll be able to just get around using the signs. I don't want to get lost!

Once you arrive on Disney property, there is plenty of signage to keep you from getting lost. However, from MCO to Disney, you may want to get some general directions. Disney parks are well marked on the interstate highway.

My DW and I usually get off on the Lake Buena Vista exit, turn right and go to the Goodings grocery store (it's on the right in a outdoor mall area). When you exit the parking lot, you can drive straight and you're in the Downtown Disney hotel area. Just keep driving straight on and the Disney signs pop up quickly.

I agree that the signs in the Orlando area are excellent. However, being a compulsive travel planner, I still had a sheaf of directions from mapquest and the kind people on these message boards. I studied them thoroughly, which made me a lot more confident, even with all the signs.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Also when you get your rental car - they will give you a map if you ask and excellent directions...........

Just a warning--Goodings is very convenient, but very expensive.

Try to stop at Publix. It is much cheaper. I don't remember the address of the closest one. I think a new one is opening behind the LBV outlet mall.

Either Rt 528 to Rt I4 or Rt 417 get you from the airport to WDW without much problem. Signs are good but I'd get a Florida map for insurance in case you accidentally head in the wrong direction when you get to I4. Rental Car map usually have pretty good detail also.

Originally posted by JulesMom
Just a warning--Goodings is very convenient, but very expensive.

Try to stop at Publix. It is much cheaper. I don't remember the address of the closest one. I think a new one is opening behind the LBV outlet mall.

Expensive is an understatement... Before they built the new Winn Dixie, I went there once to pick up a few things. It would have been cheaper to do my grocery shopping at 7-11!!

Just down the street about a half a mile is a brand new Winn Dixie... that's usually where I do my shopping... nice store, and decent prices.

The AAA map of the South Orlando area is very good - and it includes a pretty good map of the roads *within* WDW as well. (Still, the Disney transportation map is smaller, and is the very best reference for getting around on property - ask for a copy when you check in.)

As for stopping at the market - if you take the Greeneway, there is a very good and very convenient Albertson's just off the highway at the Orange Blossom Trail exit, maybe 15 minutes from the airport.

If you're coming in any time other than very early morning or late night, I highly recommend the Greeneway over the Beeline just for traffic reasons. (The Beeline is a bit more fun, since it's packed with billboards about WDW and Universal and other attractions, which helps to build up the anticipation and excitement right from the beginning.)

Originally posted by Chip 'n Dale Express
Expensive is an understatement... Before they built the new Winn Dixie, I went there once to pick up a few things. It would have been cheaper to do my grocery shopping at 7-11!!

Just down the street about a half a mile is a brand new Winn Dixie... that's usually where I do my shopping... nice store, and decent prices.

We were planning on making a quick grocery stop on the way to ASMu tomorrow night. Where "just down the street..." exactly are you talking about?

Winn-Dixie is just fine with us. And even better if it's somewhere along the way (easily) from MCO to ASMu.

Or are their easier choices? I know about Goodings - both the proximity and the prices. We know about a Publix along 128, but that may be more trouble than other alternatives.

Thanks...

(Although we're renting a car, we'll use WDW transportation mostly while we're there. Any place in particular we should be looking for Tyler the Bus Driver? :) )

Originally posted by Dad of 5
We were planning on making a quick grocery stop on the way to ASMu tomorrow night. Where "just down the street..." exactly are you talking about?

The Winn-Dixie is probably just a mile down the road from the Crossroads plaza... If you're coming out of the Crossroads, take a right. There's also an ABC Liquor store there, for those interested.

Originally posted by Dad of 5
(Although we're renting a car, we'll use WDW transportation mostly while we're there. Any place in particular we should be looking for Tyler the Bus Driver? :) )

Unfortunetly, I'm very hard to track down. In a department with 950 drivers, and flexible dispatches, it's really just a hit or miss. I typically work nights, with Wed/Thurs off. But as for where I will be, or which routes I shall drive... *shrug* I dont even know!

We've gotten lost SO many times on WDW property that it's not funny. IMHO, the signs are TERRIBLE. The maps aren't much better. For instance, it looks on the map like it's a straight shot from the Contemporary Resort to All Star Sports. I made that trip several times while we were there last week (picking up or dropping off my brother) and got lost all except the last time. Following the signs didn't help much; each set of signs lists a few things, but not necessarily the thing you're looking for. We were trying to find Downtown Disney and a sign told us to turn. We came to another intersection, and there was NO Downtown Disney sign telling us which way to go next. We guessed wrong, of course.

The WORST example is that if you're driving to the Contemporary, you HAVE to be in the right-most car lane going through the MK gate. As soon as you get through the gate, you have to veer off onto another road to the right. There are NO signs telling you this. The only indication is writing in paint on the road directly before the gate. By that time it's WAY too late to get over.

My advice: Get specific, explicit directions from anywhere to anywhere BEFORE you get in the car.

Take the South exit out of the airport, and you will see many signs directing you to Disney. After you are on property, look for your "area" that you are staying in to take the correct exit. I usually stay at Old Key West, which is a Downtown Disney Resort, and POFQ is just right up the road, so the "DD" exit may be the one you use also. At any rate, the ressie confirmation from your hotel should give directions to the hotel from airport. As far as grocery stores, I prefer to use the Albertson's which is right off Orange Blossom Trail on your way to WDW. You will see the exit on 417, and the store is just on the right almost immediately after you exit. Reasonable prices, good selection and without the heavy traffic you experience in the shopping areas around WDW. Have fun!

Besides getting directions to your resort. Maake sure you have plently of change for the tolls. On my first rip to Flordia I had no American change. The auto toll collectors disliked my Canadian quarters. The next toll station I needed to go an attended tool both to get change. Now I make sure I have plently of US quarters.

Originally posted by Barb D
The WORST example is that if you're driving to the Contemporary, you HAVE to be in the right-most car lane going through the MK gate. As soon as you get through the gate, you have to veer off onto another road to the right. There are NO signs telling you this. The only indication is writing in paint on the road directly before the gate. By that time it's WAY too late to get over.

Actually, there are plenty of large signs stating Resorts, stay right... (in addition to the pavement lane markings) and then when the road forks just past the toll plaza, there is a rather large sign saying Parking LEFT, blah blah blah RIGHT... I drive by these signs many times throughout my day... they are there, trust me. :)

When coming to WDW using the south exit from the airport, exit 6 (I think) is for the Epcot area. Following the road you pass the big arch that says "Walt Disney World". A little ways down there is a sign that says (among other things) "epcot resort area right lane". Just after that sign there is a white sign that lists all the hotels to turn right for. It does not list Boardwalk Inn. Last February (staying at the BWI), we didn't make that turn because the BWI wasn't on the list. Didn't get "lost" but had to pull out the map to get to the BWI. We checked again to make sure we just didn't miss it on the sign, but no it is not on the list.

Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter