Do You Adjust Your Heat/AC at Night?

I have never understood making it colder while you sleep.

Disclaimer: I hate the cold.

This is exactly me too.

My thermostat stays around 74 in the winter, regardless of time of day.

(On the flip side....I rarely use the a/c, and if I do, it doesn’t go anywhere near the 60’s)

During winter I have it set at 70 during the day (while I am at the house) and 68 at night. 65 if I’m not at home. I have a thermostat that automatically makes the adjustments for me.

During the summer AC is at 75 all day.

We had a programmable thermostat for a few years and all it did was run up our electric bill.
A few years ago we just decided to just leave the temperature alone, it is a bit cooler in winter that we used to keep it. But my daughter's and wife's sinus issues have subsided, and we all sleep a lot better. We leave it the same temperature in the summer.

It usually stays at 65 night and day in winter. In our house, if you're cold you can bundle up...lol In summer we keep the AC at 78 and at night I turn it down to 76 or just turn it off and open the windows. I'm cheap...lol

When my husband and daughter were at home, I’d keep the house around 20°C in the winter because they were always cold. Now that it’s just been me for the last month I keep it around 18. I adjust it as needed.

Heat’s on 66/67 during the day and goes down to 63 at night. I also keep the vent in our bedroom closed, and unless the temp is in the teens, there’s a window open.

68 in the daytime, 64 in the night. I like to sleep with blankets.

We don't have whole house air conditioning, but have a window unit we can put in the bedroom if the weather gets really warm and blast until the room is no longer hot.

Last edited:
Wow, some of your houses sound so cold! I don't know if our thermostat isn't sensing properly, but we've had it at 74 all winter so far and it still feels cold in here. We do have poor insulation and windows that don't seal the greatest though.

68 during the day, 61 at night. And I still wake up too hot on a regular basis. Maybe I need to get a lighter weight comforter.
During the summer 78 all the time, and I sleep with a fan on.

My parents will keep their house more like 75. I wear short sleeves there year round.

Wow, some of your houses sound so cold! I don't know if our thermostat isn't sensing properly, but we've had it at 74 all winter so far and it still feels cold in here. We do have poor insulation and windows that don't seal the greatest though.
I think it also has to do with the location of the thermostat. Just because it's 68 at the thermostat doesn't mean it's 68 in the bedroom (unless the thermostat is located there). In the winter, we keep the house at 74 during the day and lower it to 70 at night (thanks to a programmable thermostat). I like it cool to sleep, and the thought is the furnace won't need to run as much over night, therefore saving money. In the winter, we do 74 during the day and 78 at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!