Do You Adjust Your Heat/AC at Night?

I never use the heat. A/C is set to 78 during the day and 68 at night, and is left on year round so it will come on if needed. The house is poured concrete block and well insulated so even when the temps drop to freezing the house temp doesn’t usually drop below 65. The A/C is divided into four zones, so only the bedroom temp gets lowered at night.

We have a programmable thermostat. It goes to 70 in the morning, about a half hour before we get up, and then goes back to 65 when we are gone during the day. Back to 70 around 3:00 (we get home 3:15-3:30) until 10:00 and then it goes back to 65. I think the a/c is constant.

Right now it is set to 64 day and night. Keeps my power bill nice and low but is enough to keep me from getting too cold. In fact, it's very comfortable to me.

I don't remember what I had my air set at this past summer. I have more trouble in the summer because I HATE being hot.

I have a heated mattress pad that we put on the bed in the fall and winter when the weather gets cooler. We turn the heat down to 15*C when we go to bed but I turn the mattress pad on about 2 hours before going to bed. I get into a nice warm bed and turn it down to 1 when I get it.

In the winter when I'm cold I turn it up, when I'm hot I turn it down. Same in reverse for the A/C in summer.

I grew up in a house where the heat vents were closed off in the bedrooms and we had no A/C. I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own home.

Summer time (A/C) -
daytime temp - 82
nighttime temp - A/C off

Winter time (heater) -
daytime temp - 76
nighttime temp - 68

No air conditioning in our old house but turn the thermostat down to 60 at Night, plus we sleep with the windows open all year even when it’s 30 or less. And it’s never above 68 during day, I’d rather wear a sweater than have the heat up to9 high.

In the Spring and Fall when it is 70 degrees during the day, our house will stay warm and I have to turn the air on to get the house down to 62. Summer time our air is on 65 and we lower it to 62 to sleep. In winter our house is 67 during the day and we turn it down to 62 to sleep at night.

Our grandchildren were with us this weekend and we had the heat on 70 all weekend. I had to open my bedroom window.

In the winter when I'm cold I turn it up, when I'm hot I turn it down. Same in reverse for the A/C in summer.

I grew up in a house where the heat vents were closed off in the bedrooms and we had no A/C. I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own home.
This. We have sensors in all the rooms and I adjust accordingly.

I pretty much turn the heat off upstairs during the day since no one is up there and it tends to get too warm if I don’t.

Every day Yahoo writes a new article like “You’ve been sleeping wrong”
“You’ve been drinking water wrong” so take it for what’s its worth.

I see our house is warmer than most
74 during the day
70 during the night
I fought my wife and daughter on the cooler temperatures, but I have to admit I am sleeping better.

For those who keep their homes at similar temperatures year-round— what do you wear?

I have winter and summer clothes so I prefer the house to be comfortable with what I have on. I absolutely hate going places with cold AC. If it’s 80+ outside I’m usually wearing a sundress or shorts/tank top. I have to put on pants and a sweater the minute I enter a room 74 or below (or I’m miserable if there’s not the option to change).

In the winter it just seems like a waste to me to crank up the heat when I could just wear warmer clothing.

In the winter, the heater is set to 68. In the summer, we have the A/C set to turn on at 80-81. However, we live in AZ and it's low humidity most of the time here AND we have a ceiling fan in every bedroom plus the family room. The fan makes it feel 5 degrees cooler than it actually is. Helps us save on the electricity bill.

For a reference point to outside conditions our location is SW FL

Summer 83°/85°F during the day depending on humidity and 78°/79°F at night, DW sleeps with electric blanket on

Winter heat only goes on when temps drop to 70°F and below then thermostat is 68°F at night with 70°/72°F during day

p.s. -- electric bill runs between $70/$85 per month. Higher in summer when it's very humid. House is 1,900 sq. ft.

Last edited:
Wow, some of your houses sound so cold! I don't know if our thermostat isn't sensing properly, but we've had it at 74 all winter so far and it still feels cold in here. We do have poor insulation and windows that don't seal the greatest though.
I'm in a mobile home, 1976 with original single pane windows (there's too many to replace, 11 windows in my living room alone.) Yeah, mine is a little leaky. If I turn it up to 69, I have sweat pouring off my head and rolling down my back. At 67, I notice it starting to feel cold and will hear the furnace kick on at that moment.

For those who keep their homes at similar temperatures year-round— what do you wear?

I have winter and summer clothes so I prefer the house to be comfortable with what I have on. I absolutely hate going places with cold AC. If it’s 80+ outside I’m usually wearing a sundress or shorts/tank top. I have to put on pants and a sweater the minute I enter a room 74 or below (or I’m miserable if there’s not the option to change).

In the winter it just seems like a waste to me to crank up the heat when I could just wear warmer clothing.
Ok, one more note. With the furnace set at 67, I'm wearing the same in the house as I do in the summer. Shorts and a t-shirt. I only own one long sleeve shirt and it's a cycling shirt so not worn anywhere but on the bike. I hate having to bundle up in a bunch of clothing.

Oh, and it's below freezing outside during the day now. I wear a thick flannel shirt as my jacket whether I am just going to the car where I have heat or I'm shoveling the driveway.

Yeah, I run hot. Best cycling weather for me is about 55° where I can finally be comfortable riding in shorts and a t-shirt. At 45° I start wearing long pants and my only long sleeve shirt.

I'm in a mobile home, 1976 with original single pane windows (there's too many to replace, 11 windows in my living room alone.) Yeah, mine is a little leaky. If I turn it up to 69, I have sweat pouring off my head and rolling down my back. At 67, I notice it starting to feel cold and will hear the furnace kick on at that moment.

It's a good thing you run warm. Manufactured homes by design don't exactly retain hest the greatest.

The house we rent is 2500 sq ft, 2 stories plus an attic and crawl space and was built in 1968. We still have the old wood frame crank windows, 2 sliding glass doors that don't meet up in the frames, and an attached nearly 1000 sq ft garage that, though unheated, has no insulation in the wall separating the house from the garage (and the garage itself only has partially insulated walls and none for the ceiling). I think for us, the size of the house combined with nothing really being sealed very well makes it tough to heat.

Every day Yahoo writes a new article like “You’ve been sleeping wrong”
“You’ve been drinking water wrong” so take it for what’s its worth.

I agree and treat most of these as 'filler' that Yahoo needed for their webpage. Too many bloggers and supposed online 'experts' now write article that mostly belong on what used to be called the 'editorial' page. Everyone has all kinds of opinions about things. Unless it is written by a reputable medical expert, I don't consider these of any value. People trying to sell me some dubious product aren't reputable, no matter what they claim their medical background.

What household/office temperature you find comfortable, someone else may find too high/low. Doubt it is ever possible to please everyone with a comfortable setting.

My thermostat is set to 72 year round. Granted, it’s always set to A/C. I may turn it to heat once or twice a year if the temp drops below 60 as the daytime temp, but I often keep my windows open in the winter and add a layer of clothes as open windows are not an option in the summer.

If I set my A/C to much above 72 in the summer then I don’t feel like it takes enough of the humidity out of the air. I can’t stand feeling suffocated or damp inside.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter