Do You Adjust Your Heat/AC at Night?

We have an adjustable thermostat and set the heat for 73* days (coming on at 7am) and 60* at night changing at 10pm. We like to sleep cool. No changes for AC in summer.

This is exactly me too.

My thermostat stays around 74 in the winter, regardless of time of day.

(On the flip side....I rarely use the a/c, and if I do, it doesn’t go anywhere near the 60’s)

I would never be able to sleep if it was that hot in the house.

We keep our house at 18 degrees when the furnace controls it and in the summer if it's hot it's hot (no A/C though we keep all blinds and blackout curtains closed all day and only open windows at night when the temps drop we routinely hear that our house is 5-10 degrees cooler than any of our other friends houses without A/C in the summer because of this but nothing, and I do mean nothing, short of A/C would make it comfortable for me to sleep for a couple of weeks in the summer - the eternal struggles of a permanent nightshifter trying to sleep through the heat of the day) Even in the winter I struggle to sleep through the mid-afternoon because the sun heats my bedroom up without the furnace being set any warmer.

We live in a coop and our heat is not adjustable. It gets so hot. I usually sleep with the window open but my dc don’t like the sound of traffic outside so they blast their ac’s all winter.

We don't move ours. DW likes it around 73 in the winter and 76 in the summer. Being a grizzled veteran of the Great Thermostat Wars (I prefer it cooler, she swears she's freezing and has to have it warmer), we've reached an uneasy truce and I defer to her on thermostat settings. She's convinced that moving the thermostat up and down "taxes" the HVAC system and wears it out prematurely, so it stays put.

I have never understood making it colder while you sleep.

Disclaimer: I hate the cold.

We always turn the heat down by a couple degrees because we’re covered in so many blankets and it can get too warm. I think I sleep better too when the temperature is on the cool side.

Our house also has dual zone climate control

We don't, and it's the one thing I really don't like about this house!

Ha, I have never understood many things of those that hate the cold. Such as, how blazing hot people like it when they are not directly paying for it (work office) or why people dress to survive arctic winters for just walking 10 seconds to their car and walking 10 seconds from the car to the door, yet the heat is blasting for the half hour drive to 100° while still dressed to survive arctic winters.

I get you! I only wear my big puffy winter coat if I'm actually going to be outside for while. I wear my "fall" coat for a good portion of the winter.

In the winter when I'm cold I turn it up, when I'm hot I turn it down. Same in reverse for the A/C in summer.

I grew up in a house where the heat vents were closed off in the bedrooms and we had no A/C. I refuse to be uncomfortable in my own home.

Amen! My in-laws keep their house really cool in the winter, and I forgot my sweater last time!

For those who keep their homes at similar temperatures year-round— what do you wear?

I have winter and summer clothes so I prefer the house to be comfortable with what I have on. I absolutely hate going places with cold AC. If it’s 80+ outside I’m usually wearing a sundress or shorts/tank top. I have to put on pants and a sweater the minute I enter a room 74 or below (or I’m miserable if there’s not the option to change).

I know! I want the temp in my house to go with what I'm wearing! (I fight DH and DS on this a bit in the summer, as they like to really crank the AC.) I do like it cooler to sleep than to be active around the house, but I end up turning my heat up in the evening when the sun goes down, then back down right before bed. (I haven't invested in programmable, since we have pets and wouldn't change it much anyway.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!