• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do you ever want to try something New?

TravelingJen24

DVC Member
First all, I love Disney and don't want anyone to get me wrong. Ok, here we go. We have a trip for a week booked in Nov. to Disneyworld, but lately I have been feeling like I want to try something different for our big trip of the year. Then I realize how much more everything else cost and fall back on this trip. We have been to the world the last three years, which is a big trip since we live in Ca. Also this year we have two children, 3 and 1 and feel like it would be a busy trip. I would really like to go on a cruise, but again the cost drives me nuts. I was just wondering if anyone else ever felt the same way and what you do. Thanks!!:confused3

IMHO - Everybody needs a break from time to time just so when you go back the majic is even better and the Pixie Dust deeper and more evident.

Bank or Rent your points and do something different WDW will be there next year and seem all the brighter "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" after all

Yes, this happens to us too. We've been to WDW twice already this year and have another trip planned for August and one for October. I really feel as though we should go someplace else for a change, but when I price the trips out, Disney always comes out as the least expensive.

During our last trip in May, we spent less than $500 total out of pocket. With annual passes, Southwest Ding fares, DVC, and the Dining Experience card, it really ends up being a very inexpensive vacation. Our friends keep asking us how can we afford to go to WDW all the time, when in reality, it's the only place we CAN afford to go! :teeth:

We had trip planned for Virginia Beach next week. When we realized that for less than what we were paying just for our hotel, we could get park tickets and the dining plan (and use our DVC points for SSR), we changed the trip to another WDW one. Can't say I regret it now that we leave the day after tomorrow. We do like to visit other places, though, but when we do, it's usually in addition to a WDW trip.

I understand how you are feeling. We sometimes skip a year at Disney (gasp!) and in fact we are doing that this year. It's fun to see other places, and it's nice to have more points when we do go to DW. This year we went to Italy because my son's chorus was singing there, and this summer we will do long weekend trips to see relatives. Other summers we have gone to National Parks in the West to vary our activities.

Disney is a relatively inexpensive trip, as you mention, since we have the Vacation Club points for the room and tend to eat most of our meals in the room. When you go to plan another trip, the cost can be a factor.

You mention that Disney would be a "busy trip." Probably true, but on the other hand, given the ages of your children...no trip will be too relaxing! A beach vacation might be your best option, but all that sand is also a challenge. When ours were that age, we learned at Disney to build the trip around them. We did limited activities each day, spent lots of time at the pool (which they preferred sometimes to the parks) and mostly strolled around Epcot in the evenings. Now when we go (they are 13 and 15) we run to every roller coaster and grab fast passes as soon as the park opens. Hurtling through Space Mountain repeatedly at 8 a.m. on an early entry day, now that's a vacation!

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for the input. We thought about doing Disland again, but we were just there with family. I feel like if we don't do a dis place then I am letting my kids down, silly hugh? I need to make a decision soon I guess. Another issue was that I wanted to stay at an Epcot resort so that we wouldn't have to use buses or cars as much, but we could only get our home resort of OKW. Not that I'm complaining, we love it there, but convience would have been nice.

Go to WDW and do something different! Hang out at the resort, go to DTD (avoiding the thugs). Go to different restaurants. Do it up different.

You could also visit some of the other attractions in the Orlando area, such as Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Center, etc. There's no law that says that just because you're staying on Disney property, you have to go to Disney parks. ;)

What about a cruise on a non-DCL ship? I know I know, DCL is the best, but it is also one of the more costly. We recently strayed to another cruise line and unless DCL comes up with some friendlier fares, we probably won't be back. Also, we really enjoyed our non-DCL cruise. In fact, we have another coming up in Dec! There are so many bargains out there. I get the newsletters and am glad we don't have our passports yet! Heaven help my poor husband when we have them.

You could also visit some of the other attractions in the Orlando area, such as Sea World, Universal, Busch Gardens, Kennedy Space Center, etc. There's no law that says that just because you're staying on Disney property, you have to go to Disney parks. ;)

Hey, did you not take the CM oath at Whispering Canyon Cafe? ;)

OP, yes it is possible to get into Disney overload. My last trip it took me a couple days to rediscover the magic (watching Wishes after a day at the Lagoon resorts and last minute decision to hop into the park for fireworks). The solution is to mix up your activities and do different things. There are a ton of things to do in Orlando that don't involve the 4 Disney parks.

Otherwise you can opt for a nature vacation. Go to the beach or go camping in the mountains. That's the good thing about DVC. 160 points and you can get a 1bedroom in a lot of timeshares.

We take 4 big trips a year, thanks to Marriott and Disney. A couple times in Orlando, summer trip to Williamsburg and one "something new". This year the new is London on Marriott points. Last year we did a cruise out of NJ (that we did pay cash for).

With young kids it's tough. FWIW, my extended family has gravitated toward group trips in Williamsburg. The Marriott resort there is in a golfing community. Lots of biking paths, nature activities and the historical sites. We usually do a day at Busch Gardens, one at Water Country, and the days at one or more of the historical sites. Otherwise we lounge by the pool, go on bike rides, send the guys golfing and the kids to the camp activities. It works out to be cheaper just because we don't eat out as much (we do family BBQs). And more relaxing because we aren't stuck on park schedules. I read a lot.

To the OP, we have enough points for our Easter week at VB and a long trip at WDW per yr. If we decide to go crusing(ie Princess to Alaska), I'll just bank some points to stay a few days longer the following yr.

Have you considered using your points for something in the Concierge Collection or trading out through II? I know that the best value for the points is to use them on property, but a splurge every once in a while can add some nice variety.

This year I did just that. I used 160 points for a week on Grand Cayman and loved it! :cool1:

What about HHI or VB? Both are nice and slow-paced vacations...which would be wonderful with 2 little ones--you can actually find time to breathe! Plus, it should still be inexpensive b/c you will be on points! :goodvibes

DW loves Disney more then she loves me (maybe lol). We go camping from early spring to late Oct. that includes an 11 day trip to a wonderful campground in VA on the Bay. So when Nov rolls around we are very ready for our annual Disney World Visit. In my past two careers I have traveled way too much, this made me appreciate how predictable Disney is. We have 3 children, S12, S10 & D6 months, and they love Disney and all that is Disney. We recently, over the last several years have made our Disney trip kind of an extended family outing, It's the best place in the world to do anything you want to do (I have been all over the world and one never knows what is coming your way)

Everyone who goes with us to Disney (13 in all) enjoy the planning process, and the closer it gets to going the more charged up everyone is, We all fly down together, so the Vacation starts when we all meet up at the airport. the kids are usually bouncing off the walls 5 of them! add two granddads and fun begins!

Enjoy your vacation wherever it takes you!

/well, we changed our reservation and decided to go back to Disneyland and stay at teh Grand Californian again instead. I know that it is not the best service of our points, but in the end it will cost a lot less with not having to fly and all. My son won't realize that he is missing out and then we can still have a great time. Thanks for everyone's input.

While I love WDW and could go anytime, we do feel the urge to visit other places. As a matter of fact, we are not going to WDW next year at all. Instead we are using some of our points for a stay at Taque Verde during a trip out west in April. Then we are going to use some points for a trip to Italy through Adventures by Disney. I know that everyone will say that is not a good use of points, but we started buying over 10 years ago and with the cost already paid it is still cheaper than if we paid cash up front. Don't worry, we will be back to WDW in a GV at AKV in 2009 with our grown daughters and their families.

We do 1 trip a year to somewhere other than Disney. Then, 2 trips a year to Disney, along with HHI and VB thrown in there!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter