Do you regret not having more kids?

Only for someone to find me when I pass away at 100! :D
We've got one son and he's not exactly what you'd call a nurturer - our best hope is that he marries a merciful woman. :laughing:

He would have greatly benefited from having had a sibling, but we simply never wanted another child. DH had two grown daughters before we married so DS does have sisters. They are 43 and 41, he's 23. They are fond of each other but he's never really been a part of either of their lives. They're married with kids of their own and haven't lived in close proximity to us since he was a toddler.

Last edited:
No. I have been blessed 4 times and have been raising kids for 31 years. My youngest is 12, my middle 2 (16 and 22) have autism, and I’m almost 54. I doubt my nest will ever be empty. Of course I can’t imagine life any other way.

Nope! Never regret not having more kids. There was no one to have to them with and that would have been a requirement. I thought I would like to have one with a partner, since I didn't have that with my daughters. But that never happened. Now I am just ready to get my house to myself.

Not a chance.

When I met my husband 6 years ago, his boys were 16 and 9, and mine were 10 and 8. He had always wanted a girl but I could not have more kids anyway (and I was sure I didn't want them).

Today we are glad we aren't raising a kindergartener. I can't imagine starting over again.

I just had my first child a few months ago and we've always said one and done. We still think that but our family has already started pressuring us to have another. We want to be able to give him everything in terms of resources and don't really want to take on the pressures of another child. We both grew up with siblings and I am super close to my brother so I do have some guilt that he won't have that but I know my husband doesn't feel that way. Also, we are nearing our mid-thirties and feel that by the time a second child rolls around, we will be too early and less energetic to chase after him/her.

I'm trying really hard to decide if we should have another baby. We currently have one wonderful 2 year old boy. I'm an only child and not sure I want him to be but we just can't bite the bullet on having another. I hope I don't regret it. :sad1:

In general, I would say "no" but I have my days.

I have two kids (28 and 25). I only ever planned to have one child and I dragged my feet on that. Second one was unplanned.

Both my husband and I worked full time and raising two kids and working was often very tiring/hectic. When my kids got to high school and college, that is where I *really* started enjoying having them. And then it was over and then they were gone!!! All of a sudden, even though it's been a couple of years now, it just seems so FINAL with them gone. Now, they do live in the same metropolitan area as me so I do see them, but it's just not the same.

I have my days where I say: I should have had one more just so it all would still be going on a bit. But overall, it would have really been financially difficult (getting 2 through college was bad enough) and my husband is looking to retire this year at age 58.

My kids have NO plans on the horizon for having their own children so I don't even have grandkids to help with the empty nest feeling.

Last edited:
We have 5. And they're all still young. Our oldest is 11.

So, no, right now my hands and my cup are pretty full. My DH and I have discussed opening our home to foster children when our 5 are grown. I don't know how we will feel then. It isn't to ward off the inevitable "empty best syndrome" (which I can't even imagine as my 2 year old is standing beside me banging pot kids), but because we feel like we have a lot of love and a good home to give to a kid in need.

I'm trying really hard to decide if we should have another baby. We currently have one wonderful 2 year old boy. I'm an only child and not sure I want him to be but we just can't bite the bullet on having another. I hope I don't regret it. :sad1:
You are very lucky to be an only child. Or in Dis speak, an only.

When my kids were around 6 and 3, I got the baby blues. As we were already in our mid-late 30's then and medically we had planned for no more, the decision had already been made. I hated pregnancy, enough said.

Last edited:
Only slightly. I regret not having maybe one more kid (we have two) ... 15 or so years ago. My wife and I are only 43, but we've had some health issues recently that shows we wouldn't be able to keep up with a baby now. Like, if we had a 23 year old, a 20 year old (our two kids), and a 16 year old? That would have been ok, I guess. Although our house doesn't have enough bedrooms for 3 kids. But having a young child right now? Heck no.

DH & I are childless by choice and have not regretted that decision, no matter how many times we get told otherwise. I have much respect for any person who has chosen to raise a child, but we don't see that in our future. Our 90 lb yellow lab is plenty for us!

I also have a special needs younger brother who I love more than anything and he will become my responsibility when the time comes. That is just enough mothering for me!

Yes, I wish I had more kids. We have 2. Pregnancy doesn't agree with me and DH said absolutely no more after we had #2 and almost lost both me and the baby. I get it.

I wish we had had the money to adopt. My house will be so sad and empty in a few years. My kids bring me more joy than anything in this world, and when they are not in my daily life...it will be sad and weird.

It's so interesting because we are almost 43 and 42 and thinking about adopting younger (5+) kid or siblings. We are worried being old parents or fact we don't know what the hell we are doing parenting wise. My sister in law is pregnant at 41 and will have 4 kids age 4 and under and needs all the help she can get. We are great aunt and uncle and trying to decide if we are content with such role.

It's so interesting because we are almost 43 and 42 and thinking about adopting younger (5+) kid or siblings. We are worried being old parents or fact we don't know what the hell we are doing parenting wise. My sister in law is pregnant at 41 and will have 4 kids age 4 and under and needs all the help she can get. We are great aunt and uncle and trying to decide if we are content with such role.
We were 35 and 36 when we adopted our children. The judge asked us why such young people wanted to adopt children. (It was in Russia.) We laughed about this later. We felt like we were starting late. The others who were with us were all in their 40s. We all adopted older kids. Ours were 5 and 6.

My parents were 46 and 47 when they had my youngest sister. I was 24 when she was born. She kept them young and now they are helping to raise my sister's kids with my BIL since my sister was sick and passed away. They have a bedroom at my parents' house because they stay over often enough, whether its both of them or just one at a time. My parents are a very young 75 and 77.

Best of luck with whichever direction you choose to take.

Nope not in the least. I had 2 children in my 30s. They are my everything and more than enough.
By the time they move out I will be retired and probably not living in our home full time anymore so not sure how much of an empty nest syndrome I will have.

Nope, content with our 1 daughter. We had a hard time having her, took a while to get pregnant, then miscarried, was just happy to have a healthy baby, didn't want to go through it all again. She is 17 now, sometimes I miss the days when she was younger, BUT not enough to want another. hahaha

I would have liked to have had a fourth. I feel very fortunate for the three we have (through both adoption and pregnancy). But I do recognize that it would have been even more of a financial strain, the raising of the kids wasn't the hardest part financially, it's going to be putting them through college, which we are embarking on soon. I do hope we have grandkids someday, I'd be very sad if we didn't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!