Do you try to adjust your littles to the time or adjust your schedule instead?

Memorymakerfor4

DIS Veteran
Reservations at AMA AMA and Makahiki are not super plentiful for our trip, now that we've moved it up a few weeks. Only breakfast available is at 7:00, no dinner available until after 7:30. I went ahead and booked the breakfasts, but skipped on dinner, opting for late lunch instead. Our trip is only 6 nights, so I'm thinking it won't be such a bad thing to keep an earlier schedule. We are not normally super early morning people so this will be a change in routine for us.

What have you done?

How many time zones are you traveling?

We'll be dealing with a 6-hr time difference. I'm planning for early mornings and early bedtimes (but not TOO early) for at least the first few days.

Your bodies will do what they want to do! So unless you guys normally eat dinner very late, I’d keep checking for an earlier time and just skip it if you don’t get one. If you go nap to try to stay up late, you’ll be up late with nothing to do. They roll up the sidewalks pretty shortly after dark, even in the summer. (I did personally enjoy Makahiki dinner more than breakfast, but breakfast was still good and DD15 enjoyed it enough to join the parade with Minnie ❤️)

Because of the time change, you will be up early naturally and ready for bed early too. Plus, we found that there's not much going on in the evenings both at Aulani and in Hawaii in general. Pools at Aulani close early and things are relatively quiet. Even after we adjusted to the time change, we were usually up by 7am and back in our room by 8:30-9pm. But the first couple days we were wide awake at 4:30. So if you have concerns about a 7am breakfast, might be best to do it during your first couple of days there.

I was up early on our trips(come from Central time zone) but my then 16yo daughter slept in. She is not naturally a morning person so she just adjusted to her "natural" body rhythm of staying up later and sleeping in. I am the opposite, so I got up early, got my coffee and something to eat and took my Nook down to the adult pool and enjoyed my quiet time. Ulu Cafe has a really good breakfast platter that you can even share. Ama Ama is not the only place to get a decent breakfast.

I was in Hawaii for 11 days and never adjusted to the time change so I think you will be fine

We travel extensively with 2 toddlers. Try your best to wake up with its light out and sleep soon after dark. If you take midday naps just continue as normal. The first day may be tricky but if you stick to it the kids acclimate by day 1. That has been our experience.

We travel extensively with 2 toddlers. Try your best to wake up with its light out and sleep soon after dark. If you take midday naps just continue as normal. The first day may be tricky but if you stick to it the kids acclimate by day 1. That has been our experience.

I am really feeling like that's the way to go here, it will just take a different approach than we're used to. Normally at WDW we just tough it out the first day, then follow local time, but it's only an hour difference. Kids are our of toddler stage now, but it still makes for happy kids (and adults) when everyone gets their sleep!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter