Does anyone think there should be "home resort" member benefits?

I always wondered why DVC didn't make a bigger deal about expanding members benefits at their home resort. For instance, it seems that you should ALWAYS be able to pool hop at your home resort regardless of where you're staying on property. It's your "home", and you're paying for that pool in dues! Or, if you're a member at BLT, you get access to a TOTWL first for special nights (like the 4th), even if you're not staying there. There's lots of exclusive things they could come up with for "home" members. They could even add your "homes" to your member card in the form of initials on the front or back (which I think would be cool in and of itself.)
Perhaps a special lanyard offered only to those owning qualified points from that home resort? (or eBay, of course, over time)

We have several lanyards of DVC pins. Most of these lanyard collections are broad DVC interest ... but 1.75 lanyards are pins specific to our home resort. We always get comments on these lanyards when we wear them ... but most especially from Cast Members. So, if nothing else, these become a special perk spurring lively dialog with the CMs.

I'm hoping, perhaps one day, that one such encounter leads to a job with Disney (lol). I've often been asked, "Are you a CM?" ... to which my best answer is, "Not yet!" leading to a great discussion of opportunities. I'm just looking for the right door ... :)

Perhaps a special lanyard offered only to those owning qualified points from that home resort? (or eBay, of course, over time)

We have several lanyards of DVC pins. Most of these lanyard collections are broad DVC interest ... but 1.75 lanyards are pins specific to our home resort. We always get comments on these lanyards when we wear them ... but most especially from Cast Members. So, if nothing else, these become a special perk spurring lively dialog with the CMs.

I'm hoping, perhaps one day, that one such encounter leads to a job with Disney (lol). I've often been asked, "Are you a CM?" ... to which my best answer is, "Not yet!" leading to a great discussion of opportunities. I'm just looking for the right door ... :)

I mean it would be nice if they came out with unique yearly shirts for each resorts to even buy hahaha

I mean it would be nice if they came out with unique yearly shirts for each resorts to even buy hahaha
Both your ideas means someone is paying for these initially. DVC won't pay for these unless Marketing pays for it.

Both your ideas means someone is paying for these initially. DVC won't pay for these unless Marketing pays for it.

Well my comment was options for people to buy not be given.

Shirts given away would be good advertising though especially if it was a good design so people would wear them and possibly giving them away when you arrive on site.

Speaking of resort specific clothing...those Starbus Jackets from the early 90s were awesome. Each resort had different color combinations and embroidered logos. I'd love to see a newer version of those, I'm so tired of current color trends...navy, black, deep gray. Ugh. Seriously, both younger people AND older people like color.

How about you have to pay a 10% premium on the point chart to stay at a non-home resort. I think this is already allowed with the rules for trading in that it doesn't have to be a 1 point for 1 point trade. This then would probably stop a few people from booking non-home resorts freeing up space in home resort for owners to have a better chance to book inside the 7 month window.

This would also potentially give DVC more points for themselves to rent out, kind of like the lock-off premium. Makes me wonder why they haven't ever done this as it is legal and does kind of benefit home resort owners. As an added benefit it will help burn up all those points that have been banked because of COVID. It would also make renting more difficult as all points would not be equal at 7 months; which would make some owners happy.

Personally I wouldn't like this as a I have a lot of SAP.

How about you have to pay a 10% premium on the point chart to stay at a non-home resort. I think this is already allowed with the rules for trading in that it doesn't have to be a 1 point for 1 point trade. This then would probably stop a few people from booking non-home resorts freeing up space in home resort for owners to have a better chance to book inside the 7 month window.

This would also potentially give DVC more points for themselves to rent out, kind of like the lock-off premium. Makes me wonder why they haven't ever done this as it is legal and does kind of benefit home resort owners. As an added benefit it will help burn up all those points that have been banked because of COVID. It would also make renting more difficult as all points would not be equal at 7 months; which would make some owners happy.

Probably because the outcry would be unbelievable.

I wondered why they didn't do something like that when Riviera came online (make Riviera part of a DVC "Collection" and establish a chart for trading into it with non-Riviera points).

I'm not really interested in any home resort benefit beyond what is already guaranteed in the contact - a least a one month head start on booking. That's especially true if the additional perk or benefit is paid for with dues.

IMO, too many members expect Disney to pay for things not part of the conract. We bought into a timeshare. We pay to operate and maintain it. We only get perks from Disney when Disney marketing thinks they help increase sales.

Seriously, both younger people AND older people like color.

Actually the most popular colors are subdued and neutrals.

They could still do something with some color though but hopefully if it's more than just a design on the shirt it would come in more basic colors as well.

Actually the most popular colors are subdued and neutrals.

They could still do something with some color though but hopefully if it's more than just a design on the shirt it would come in more basic colors as well.
Colors should pair with the theme of the resort. Beachy colors at BCV, BWV. Woodsy colors at CCV and BRV. Key West colors at OKW. Cold, sterile colors at BLT.

I always wondered why DVC didn't make a bigger deal about expanding members benefits at their home resort.
Never gave it much thought in the past. Benefits(s) of both owning and being able to secure a reservation where we wanted to stay were rewards unto themselves.

At this point...

9CD2FEBB-5D23-41F2-84A0-DB5F6E26F949.jpeg

Do pools that allow pool hopping get money from other resorts? If not personally I think it should just completely be removed.

The only cost on pool hopping is cleaning of towels. I don’t believe the cost is high to clean them. When we stayed at VGF, CM’s almost hourly replaced our towels with new ones if they had been used, or not. So instead of us using 4-5 towels for our4 hours at the pool. It was more like 20 towels. We thought this was a big waste. Never had another resort do this. We enjoyed our stay there. All the CM’s were super helpful and generous. My one big complaint about VGF as well as PVB and BLT is how much the monorails stink like dirt diapers. These are Disney’s prime resorts and their main mode of transportation stinks, literally.

The only cost on pool hopping is cleaning of towels. I don’t believe the cost is high to clean them. When we stayed at VGF, CM’s almost hourly replaced our towels with new ones if they had been used, or not. So instead of us using 4-5 towels for our4 hours at the pool. It was more like 20 towels. We thought this was a big waste. Never had another resort do this. We enjoyed our stay there. All the CM’s were super helpful and generous. My one big complaint about VGF as well as PVB and BLT is how much the monorails stink like dirt diapers. These are Disney’s prime resorts and their main mode of transportation stinks, literally.
GF might be the only resort where they do that. None of the others will automatically change out your towels.

I always wondered why DVC didn't make a bigger deal about expanding members benefits at their home resort. For instance, it seems that you should ALWAYS be able to pool hop at your home resort regardless of where you're staying on property. It's your "home", and you're paying for that pool in dues! Or, if you're a member at BLT, you get access to a TOTWL first for special nights (like the 4th), even if you're not staying there. There's lots of exclusive things they could come up with for "home" members. They could even add your "homes" to your member card in the form of initials on the front or back (which I think would be cool in and of itself.)
They could be I doubt they will. Perks rarely have any cost to the membership or to DVD, they are offered externally. And when there is cost print's, pins, it's usually either a nominal cost and/or paid for by the sales side.. I've long since held that DVCMC could do a better job in this area as long as they were willing to truly negotiate the options and walk away from some that wouldn't discount. That's true with cash type exchanges even more than perks.

As others have pointed out, maybe the pool example isn't the best as there's capacity issues to consider. But it would certainly be interesting to apply that concept as a brainstorm. Maybe in terms of promoting volume or even a sense of pride in the home resort.

- % discount on meals at your home resort.
- % of money spent on your stay donated to animal preservation charities if your home is AKL
- % of money spent on your stay donated to struggling yacht owners if you stayed at...never mind.
I think an extra 5% discount on meals, sundries, snacks, souvenirs etc during a stay at your home resort would be a fun perk. (Extra 5% on top of the DVC or AP discount at home resort during stay.)

The only cost on pool hopping is cleaning of towels.
Subjectively, another “cost” of pool hopping could be argued to be increased inability grab a lounge chair at the more popular resorts that permit the practice. Before the quiet pool at one of our home resorts - WLV, we ran into far too many folks from FW that were enjoying the pool.

I’m expecting the removal of a certain number of loungers/less space poolside for social distancing as it is. Don’t think those staying at any resort should still have to compete for those limited seats with pool hoppers.

Full disclosure, have never pool hopped as it just seemed to be too much work on vacation...not critiquing those who take advantage of the existing perk.

Subjectively, another “cost” of pool hopping could be argued to be increased inability grab a lounge chair at the more popular resorts that permit the practice. Before the quiet pool at one of our home resorts - WLV, we ran into far too many folks from FW that were enjoying the pool.

I’m expecting the removal of a certain number of loungers/less space poolside for social distancing as it is. Don’t think those staying at any resort should still have to compete for those limited seats with pool hoppers.

Full disclosure, have never pool hopped as it just seemed to be too much work on vacation...not critiquing those who take advantage of the existing perk.
There's pool hoping then there's pool crashing. I've seen far too much pool crashing at certain resorts. Some people either feel entitled or don't care.

There's pool hoping then there's pool crashing. I've seen far too much pool crashing at certain resorts. Some people either feel entitled or don't care.

This was our last experience at the Boardwalk two year ago. A group of 4 guys with their luggage crashed the pool area and bragged about it the whole time as they sat behind my wife, son, and I. They proceeded to order tons of drinks before they left for their flight. Even when my wife made a complaint about the pool crashing to a cast member, no one went over to have a talk with them.

Compare this to Aulani. I usually have a long sleeve SPF swim shirt because I will otherwise burn to a crisp in the pool. Sometimes the sleeve covers my band, and about 1-2 times each trip, I have to show my band to a lifeguard while I'm swimming.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter