Does Disney regret Aulani?

Everytime we have been there, the resort has been packed. Nothing beats being able to rent DVC units and only having to cover the shortfall between costs and dues collected. I think we are starting to see that with all the resorts currently being sold.

Could Disney add day guest there with their cruise ships visiting? Would they have enough room, or enough pool chairs?

It seems like they're able to fill the resort pretty effectively with cash guests so I'm guessing that they're not especially upset if DVC sales are a bit slower there. Aulani is a bit of an interesting case--I think that they successfully accomplished their goal of creating a proper Disney resort in Hawaii, but they did it complete with overpriced mediocre food, chaotic crowds, and a concrete jungle that hides the natural beauty of the surrounding area. We did a split stay with the Marriott two doors down and I enjoyed Aulani because there were so many activities (and I can happily float in a lazy river for 8 hours a day), which is a nice contrast to the more laid-back pace of most of the rest of Hawaii, but my wife vastly preferred the Marriott because to her it actually felt like being in Hawaii.

Could Disney expand the resort?
It would be difficult for them to do meaningful expansion on the existing land, but there is a lot for a resort next door that is completely unoccupied that they could use. Having said that, with the way the resort was constructed it seems like any expansion would be pretty disjointed from the existing property.

It would be difficult for them to do meaningful expansion on the existing land, but there is a lot for a resort next door that is completely unoccupied that they could use. Having said that, with the way the resort was constructed it seems like any expansion would be pretty disjointed from the existing property.
Yes, I agree. The Atlantis project next door is dead, and I haven't heard of anything taking it's place, so theoretically Disney could buy that land and expand. But I'm not sure that is in the cards for them.

I would expect they’d instead expand into the DHS parking lot. But I also don’t expect it will actually happen. I think Galactic Starcruiser is more likely to become some sort of space for daytime use.
I suspect you're in the wrong thread. :)

Yes, I agree. The Atlantis project next door is dead, and I haven't heard of anything taking it's place, so theoretically Disney could buy that land and expand. But I'm not sure that is in the cards for them.
They'd be smart to just buy the land, but then again I am not sure why they sold all the VB parcels they had either - even if they weren't building....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter