Does DS6 need a booster seat in California?

calena

<font color=red>BL II - Red Team<br> <font color=g
Does anyone know what the booster seat laws are in California? Will DS6 need one. He is VERY tall. What is the law in California and is it based on height or age? Thanks. Deb

You'll be fine. The law is over 6 yr and over 60 lbs do not require a safety seat.

Good news. Did not want to take his booster seat along really. So Ontario (Canada) is stricter than California. Our children have to be over 8 or over 80 pounds or over 4' 9" which is pretty big really. I need to measure him sometime to see how tall he is. I know he is not over 80 lbs yet!!! That is really a big kid.
Thanks. Deb

They recommend up to 4'9'' in a booster. Most boosters will accommodate a child up to 100 pounds. If a child sits in the car and his knees can bend at the end of the seat, they say he doesn't need a booster. Under 4'9'' often the seat belt doesn't fit properly.

You definitely don't need a booster. I think 4'9" is absolutely ridiculous to require. My friends mom is only 4'10" and she's in her late 40's. That's just crazy! You can buy those things for your seatbelt to adjust where the seatbelt falls. I can see requiring that, but not a booster seat!

The law is children need to be in a child passenger restraint until they are either 6 years or 60 pounds.

I guess that means that once they hit 6 years old, they don't need to be in one.

Unless they weigh at least 60 pounds.

Correct, but I was answering the OP's original question about her 6 year old. Once her DS hit 6, he didn't need a carseat, according to CA law.

Yep. Law is 6 OR 60 pounds. Their is legislation to change it to 8 AND 80 (and of course exemptions for those whom the law is not practical, as there are now)

Screw the law though. You need to do what you think is the safe thing to do for your child. Is he tall enough to sit in a regular car seat with the shoulder strap sitting properly at his shoulder? If not, I would definatly bring his booster. I would guess that at 4'9" (which OMG is a tall 6YO!) he his tall enough to be properly restrained in MOST cars, but seeing as you probably don't know the exact seatbelt arrangment in the rental car I would bring along the booster just incase it's needed. Even in your own car though, if the shoulder straps hit him below the shoulder when in the booster (as would be the case in alot of 3rd row minivan or SUV seats), you need to go to the Dr and get him an exemption. He's a VERY tall 6YO and if that is the case would be safer in those seats without a booster.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter