Does everyone over plan?

Sjm9911

DIS Veteran
I thought i had a plan, campsite check, tickets check, some idea of how things work check, but after reading stuff on this fourm, i feel like i didnt do my do dillagence in planning. Rope drop , fast passes, what days and sceduals are better for this that or the other.

So does anyone just wing it and not worry about the rushing? And how does that work out?

I thought i had a plan, campsite check, tickets check, some idea of how things work check, but after reading stuff on this fourm, i feel like i didnt do my do dillagence in planning. Rope drop , fast passes, what days and sceduals are better for this that or the other.

So does anyone just wing it and not worry about the rushing? And how does that work out?
We don't overplan everything. My planning consists of picking a park or parks for the day, book the 3 fastpasses, and book any dining we want. We don't have the whole day planned out.

We do rope drop on most days. But we do that at any amusement park we visit. Right at opening waits are low and we enjoy taking a break in the afternoon.

My thoughts with fastpasses is that they're free so why not book them? You can always change them, drop them, or just skip them if you feel like it.

Sjm911,

You learn by doing.

Back in the day, there were no FastPasses for advance attraction scheduling and no Advance Dining Reservations.

When I was a kid you got to the MK as early as possible, and when the rope dropped, we split into action. The older were sent in advance to run and line up for a dinner reservation at the Castle (only reservations were to stand in line in the morning) and others were spun off to run in line and wait in a queue for the first ride of the day. Then Epcot got built.

Campsites were not reserved by Type (Tent, Full, Premium, Preferred). But you could get them with sewer and few had cable tv.

We're all like elephants that every dry season gather the herd and head for the secret water holes. It was only word of mouth and kept within the heard.

Except the herd now all has iPhones and 4g data plans. And wifi. Now the whole jungle knows where every anthill is on the Continent.

I miss the old unscheduled days. Now you feel like you have to do it to keep your head above water.

Bama Ed

PS - if anything, I'm headed in the other direction.

Last edited:
We overplan. I like it that way; I'm a planner. However, we overplan with the understanding that we can change if we decide. It works for us.

Planning too much takes away from the vacation in my opinion. Booking FPs so far in advance and having dining reservations keeps a lot of folks running from here to there and missing a lot of fun in between. Our usual plan was to schedule FPs in the evening, let the girls sleep in and stay in the parks late. I just couldn't convince them to get out of bed and make rope drop. I'd done it a couple of times and worked out great. When we went in March of last year and the crowds were so big I finally talked them into making rope drop at EPCOT one morning. Within 45 minutes we had knocked out Soarin, Mission Space, and Test Track and were ready for World Showcase to open. This proved to them it was better to hit park early morning. We went back to camper during the midday and went back that evening for fireworks and just evening walking.

Next day we had evening FPs at MK, I got them to do rope drop again. We had all the FP rides done, one of them twice, and gotten a load of autographs for the various Disney Princesses by the time 10:30 had rolled around, which is usually when we get to the parks. I started quickly realizing that a good way to bypass FPs is to get in the park early. This saves on some planning. You can also book the FPs in the evening, then see what you get done in the mornings, keep them if you want to ride the rides again, but I highly encourage the early morning run, it is so worth it.

As far as meals, this again is a big reason I camp, I cook the majority of my own meals, thus saving me the Disney schedule and easily saving lots of money. We'll pick about 2-3 sit downs per 7-9 day stays but after that it's quick service or meals at the camper.

I picked up a trick from BamaEd for cooking at the camper. If you're gonna fire up the grill, go ahead and cook all the meats for next few days. Cook the steaks, burgers, and chicken. Then put it in the fridge. When you get ready for the steak, all ya gotta do now is warm it up and cook the other sides which are typically quick. Oh, and crockpot meals save a lot of stress too, just make sure to use the crock pot liners so you don't have to worry about cleaning the crock pot afterwards.

I miss the FPs on the fly days. Now you book 3 FPs on a day 2-3 months away, only to find the day before it's 100% chance of rain and would of been a better day to do some shopping or sleeping.

We plan very little, prefer the relaxing vacation mode. We make 3-4 must do dining ressies (for 10 days), our 3 FP selections which we rarely leave the same, and beyond that we wing it with the touring. We always have AP's or hoppers and go wherever our heart leads.

Like @bama_ed, we miss the way we could tour in the 'good ole days'!! :) We stay away from the frantic planning and enjoy playing it by ear.
We do stay busy, but it's according to our own feelings where/what we do.

We plan, maybe overplan, or at least I do. But we have two different touring styles also. One for normal trips with just DW and I. We Plan, but it is just us, and if something changes, we go with it and no problem. DW and I can rope drop and stay until the Kiss Good Night in MK.
Some trips we travel with the nephews, and they being younger require a completely different plan. They can not go that long, so we need to plan in a break or shorter days and be way more flexible.

Im used to the old way also, lol. I never even though of plainning anything, as it was run fast for the rides you wanted to go on fist! The rope drop thread has me a bit worried......I guess i need a bit of both planning and relaxing. Since this will be my daughter's first trip, i want to make sure she sees what she wants and i dont want to turn into clark griswold!

We plan but I wouldn't say over plan. This day we are going to AK, Next day headed to MK, etc. Make the FP we might want, if we make them fine, if not fine. Very few sit down meals, personally, I'm not paying $50 for a ribeye steak when I buy if off the hoof here from a local cattle producer that I work for, for $3.80 lb and the taste is much better. Just the 2 of us anymore so up early is not a big thing. If we make rope drop fine, if not, fine. Our July trip with the DS and family, we made most rope drops or close to it, ate everywhere we wanted to, fp most everything, (didn't get FOP fp and just didn't get the time to ride it so gives us something to look forward to next trip) had fp for Slinky dog one morning at early opening, I think 7:45, DW and I didn't make it, we were tired from the day before, didn't take away from our day, just a good excuse to come back. Considering we are 1500 miles away, that makes a hugh difference on how much time you spend in the parks compared to Ed where he is close and can go often. Probably the only time we get to go with the DS and family and grandkids so we did a ton of stuff, everyone held in like a trooper, even the 7 year old, not too many breakdowns. Our sit downs meal for 9 days were MK, Crystal palace for breakfast, Epcot, Germany and Japan, (2 different days) and HS, 50's prime time, (because DW and I knew what was coming, LOL) Few days we went back to camper in afternoon just to chill and the grandkids swam. Was a great time had by all!!!

We plan our FP in advance and pick some ADRs. We have a plan in place but modify as needed; if we are really, really tired, we sleep in and adjust as we go. If we are touring and feel like everyone would be happier back at the hotel pool, we head there. If we decide to add an extra park day, we do it day of.

Last edited:
I plan, as I posted above, the other day I posted that I have a spreadsheet for packing lists for camping in general. There is a list for the truck, the fifth wheel, the pantry, the fridge, totes located in the camper, and each of our clothes. Then of course there is a packing list for Disney also.

Since this will be my daughter's first trip, i want to make sure she sees what she wants and i dont want to turn into clark griswold!
Awww-love to hear about first visits but they do take a bit more planning these days. Rope Drop and planning Fast Passes are almost mandatory to avoid extensive waiting lines and disappointment. Sometimes you get a lucky break with a ten minute wait time for a ride but not too often anymore. Suggestion: Have a Fast Pass plan to guarantee some fun and it'll help you relax. Be sure to book three at a time, early in the day, all lumped together, in one area of the park. Then you can take advantage of using "My Disney Experience" on your phone to book other FP's as you use them up. If there is a special ride you absolutely have to get on you will need to grab whatever FP time you can get. It took us 6 trips to DW before we got lucky and got a FP for Slinky Dog. Also take advantage of "Mobile Ordering" at Quick Service Restaurants to cut down on stress there. It can all still be done but technology has changed the game a LOT. Once you understand the new game plan it's workable and still a heck of a lot of fun. TIP: Small portable phone charger. My Disney Experience will run your phone battery down really fast and its your key to the Kingdom.

the first time we did Disney we had no plan, it was not good, now we plan every day out, including FP's and ADR's. if it rains we just change plans on the fly, sleep in and go shopping, FP's are free and we have rode every ride and we know we will be back again. we are foodies and love the choices WDW has for eating. Most are at the Springs

Im starting to get the bigger picture here. I need to get ready to 1) know what parks i want to go to. 2) make dining reservations. 3) know what rides i want to do my fast passes for 4) know what i want to rope drop. 6) have an idea of where in the park i will be, so im not criss crossing everwhere. 7) after morning ( hopefully) fast passes are done scedual more fast passes. 8) relax a bit ! Hopefully this is what i was supost to learn!

Im starting to get the bigger picture here. I need to get ready to 1) know what parks i want to go to. 2) make dining reservations. 3) know what rides i want to do my fast passes for 4) know what i want to rope drop. 6) have an idea of where in the park i will be, so im not criss crossing everwhere. 7) after morning ( hopefully) fast passes are done scedual more fast passes. 8) relax a bit ! Hopefully this is what i was supost to learn!

That's a good summary.

The thing to keep in mind is that timelines vary.

Advance Dining Reservations can be made up to 180 days in advance (and I think you can make additional ADR's up to 10 days past your arrival day once you reach 180 days in front of arrival). So that's like a 190 day calendar.

Fast Passes are 60 days in advance for on-site guests and 30 days for off-site day-by-day.

So yes, you need to have a general idea of what-parks-what-day-wheretoeat-whattoride. Of course plans can change and you can change parks, try to re-sechedule FP, keep hunting last minute ADR changes (or just take what's available-often eat at resorts near parks when park restaurants are booked up).

But these days, you need to have a plan going in.

Bama Ed

PS - for hard-to-get ADR and FP, it's best to try to secure them in as far in advance as possible. While miracles do happen and if you stalk the system one person in the world can get a Beaches and Cream ADR on short notice or the Avatar ride in AK FP. But I don't need the stress of checking-rechecking so I tend to book these ASAP. For missed FP we either rope drop them first or catch them 5 minutes before closing at night (when posted ride wait times are overstated to discourage people from getting in line near close (and paying CM's longer)).

PPS - folks with AP's have a more relaxed attitude because if they don't catch FP/ADR today they can attempt tomorrow and can go either multiple times a year or longer when they do go. But those without AP (which are costly) have to work the system.

Last edited:
or catch them 5 minutes before closing at night (when posted ride wait times are overstated to discourage people from getting in line near close (and paying CM's longer)).

What ed said, We came out of Fantasmic in July and HS was getting ready to close, we were by RR, DS and DDIL said they would like to ride but the wait time was listed at 60 min and said they didn't want to wait that long, Well...there was NO line in the FP line or the standby line that you could see from outside, I told them that it was not where near 60 min wait. We decided to go in and were in and out in around 20 min.

I think that planning helps me with the anticipation of the trip. We don't always follow the plan and yes it will change. We always travel with at least ten or eleven people so everyone seems to want to go in different directions, rides ,food, ect. So just go with the flow and enjoy the vacation.

We do our best to balance the planning and the spur of the moment. Some like it, others don't, but the reality of WDW travel today is that certain things NEED to be planned. If you don't get FP+ for certain rides at 60 days out, you may never have it and will find yourself waiting hours in line or missing out. If you don't making ADR's for dining, your options will be more limited. If you go frequently enough, and/or don't care about those things, you can wing it and have a great time. If there are 'must do' meals or attractions, however, you have to have them set up to make sure you don't stress about missing out.

For us, I have a spreadsheet for the trip that looks at schedules, projected crowd levels, special events, etc... Yes, this is the place where I overplan. However, it allows me to look at the trip as a whole, 6+ months out, and figure out what dining I want when (based on when I KNOW we want to be in the parks for FP+ and/or events). Once those are in place, 60 days out I have a strategy for FP+ (hardest ones booking later in the trip to give me more advantage). Once those are done - so am I. I have my FP+ and dining in place, and at least 1/2 of most days are 'open' with no expectation of being somewhere. We may stay in the park, we may go to DS or a pool, we may rest...we play all that by ear.

So, book what you NEED to, don't worry about what you don't, and then go have fun with whatever is in store that time around!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter