Does It Matter What DVC Location You Add On 25 Points

NickBCV

Mouseketeer
Hello all.....you may recall a recent post I had in which I was frustrated about not being able to purchase 25 points as an add on for BCV where I have a contract I purchased in the secondary market. After a lot of calls and no luck I was approved to be added to the points waiting list for BCV and VGF since we love the Grand Floridian. Keep in mind, we are looking to add the 25 points for the extra member benefits associated with buying direct from Disney.

My thinking was if I ever wanted to sell the points in then future, both BCV and VGF hold up value the best for smaller 25 point contracts.

Now I am thinking...does it really matter? Whenever we have booked a 1 BDRM (which we prefer) at VGF they had plenty of open rooms at the 7 month mark...so in that case, aren't points just points regardless of where they are? Should I consider Saratoga Springs or Old Key West as add-on points if they are readily available?

May be best to wait out the 25 points to see if they suddenly become available at BCV but I am getting antsy.

Thanks you your thoughts!

One bedrooms available today but probably not in the future. There will be a flood of 25 point contracts on the resale market later when people start selling, small point contracts sell fast and at a higher price because there isn't many of them. May not be true down the road.

:earsboy: Bill

Last edited:
One bedrooms available today but probably not in the future. There will be a flood of 25 point contracts on the resale market later when people start selling, small point contracts sell fast and at a higher price because there isn't many of them. May not be true down the rode.

How far in the future though Bill? My kids are 5 and 9 and I figure I have a good 7-10 years of them being in love with Disney...after that I might be one of the sellers. In fact if I find I am not able to book the resorts we are looking for at 7 months that could be a good time to sell.

How far in the future though Bill? My kids are 5 and 9 and I figure I have a good 7-10 years of them being in love with Disney...after that I might be one of the sellers. In fact if I find I am not able to book the resorts we are looking for at 7 months that could be a good time to sell.

Unknown but I do know that as Disney sells more contracts, those people will want to stay somewhere and often not their home resort. Some will want studios which may not be available so they will take a one bedroom.

Unknown but I do know that as Disney sells more contracts, those people will want to stay somewhere and often not their home resort. Some will want studios which may not be available so they will take a one bedroom.

Is it also not true that Disney will only sell more contract as new properties come available as they can only sell what they have allocated per resort. As these new properties come online (excluding Aulani) that opens up more resort options for those already holding DVC membership at the seven month window. I can see that studios may be in greater demand but I'd be surprised if the 1 BDRM start becoming scarce. I guess we will see.

that opens up more resort options for those already holding DVC membership at the seven month window

Not necessarily. It really depends. Arguably, the points for Saratoga didn't open up a lot of options at 7 months, given how many SSR owners try to switch; other owners can find availability at Saratoga, but complain about it when they do.

The thing to keep in mind is that for every resort sold, it increases pressure at 7 months at some of the resorts. I would expect this to be true at BLT, VGF, BWV, BCV and Poly most, for most of the year. If you have the points for a 1BR, it makes booking a lot easier at 7 months -- but with a 25 point add-on, even in a low season that bank/borrow of 75 points doesn't get you far for a 1BR - gets you a 3 day weekend, but not at VGF.

True enough. I guess I just need to be patient. I was just put on the unofficial waitlist a couple weeks ago. Our next trip is in April 2018 so I have time to get the add on points.

What use year are you looking for?

We just added 30 BCV points (Feb UY) on Saturday, points were in our account Sunday AM). They had them available when we called. I think there was 75 BCV and 49 BWV (our top two choices to add on at). We own 200 pts at Ssr (resale). So buying the 30 direct got us the direct perks and enough to book at least 2 nights at BCV every other year to do land and sea or to get there a day or two before a cruise since we cruise in the winter and live in the Northeast (PA). We were so happy!!

Be patient, if you are willing to wait you'll get what you want.

But if you are only ever planning to book at 7 months just buy SSR points.

We only bought at a 2nd resort to get that 11 month window at BCV since it fits perfect for us since we book our cruises 2 years in advance while on board (10% discount and on board credit, when you book on board).

What use year are you looking for?

We just added 30 BCV points (Feb UY) on Saturday, points were in our account Sunday AM). They had them available when we called. I think there was 75 BCV and 49 BWV (our top two choices to add on at). We own 200 pts at Ssr (resale). So buying the 30 direct got us the direct perks and enough to book at least 2 nights at BCV every other year to do land and sea or to get there a day or two before a cruise since we cruise in the winter and live in the Northeast (PA). We were so happy!!

Be patient, if you are willing to wait you'll get what you want.

But if you are only ever planning to book at 7 months just buy SSR points.

We only bought at a 2nd resort to get that 11 month window at BCV since it fits perfect for us since we book our cruises 2 years in advance while on board (10% discount and on board credit, when you book on board).
We are looking for an April use year. They had 10 points available at one building, 8 in another and 5 in another for April. They said they could not combine buildings and they could not sell less than the 25 point min so we continue to wait. I figure I will wait a couple of months and if it does not fill I will look to buy SSR. Good to hear others are getting points at BVC though. It gives us hope.

We are looking for an April use year. They had 10 points available at one building, 8 in another and 5 in another for April. They said they could not combine buildings and they could not sell less than the 25 point min so we continue to wait. I figure I will wait a couple of months and if it does not fill I will look to buy SSR. Good to hear others are getting points at BVC though. It gives us hope.

IMO, the "unit number" is an important factor in the ROFR process. It explains why Disney may take one contract that was priced higher than a similar contract that was priced lower. Those 10, 8 & 5 points Nick mentions can't be sold unless/until Disney can buy back enough points in the same unit to get the total to 25 or more for the unit.

There really isn't a way for us to know what units Disney needs and no one reports the legal description of a contract they are trying to buy, so we focus on price to explain why Disney exercises its ROFR. No wonder we think there's a monkey with a dartboard running that group!

Bottom Line: ROFR is not run by a monkey! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: (It's often the UNIT NUMBER that drives the decision)!

IMO, the "unit number" is an important factor in the ROFR process. It explains why Disney may take one contract that was priced higher than a similar contract that was priced lower. Those 10, 8 & 5 points Nick mentions can't be sold unless/until Disney can buy back enough points in the same unit to get the total to 25 or more for the unit.

There really isn't a way for us to know what units Disney needs and no one reports the legal description of a contract they are trying to buy, so we focus on price to explain why Disney exercises its ROFR. No wonder we think there's a monkey with a dartboard running that group!

Bottom Line: ROFR is not run by a monkey! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: (It's often the UNIT NUMBER that drives the decision)!
As long as I get my points...I am okay with a monkey making the decisions :)

Hello all.....you may recall a recent post I had in which I was frustrated about not being able to purchase 25 points as an add on for BCV where I have a contract I purchased in the secondary market. After a lot of calls and no luck I was approved to be added to the points waiting list for BCV and VGF since we love the Grand Floridian. Keep in mind, we are looking to add the 25 points for the extra member benefits associated with buying direct from Disney.

My thinking was if I ever wanted to sell the points in then future, both BCV and VGF hold up value the best for smaller 25 point contracts.

Now I am thinking...does it really matter? Whenever we have booked a 1 BDRM (which we prefer) at VGF they had plenty of open rooms at the 7 month mark...so in that case, aren't points just points regardless of where they are? Should I consider Saratoga Springs or Old Key West as add-on points if they are readily available?

May be best to wait out the 25 points to see if they suddenly become available at BCV but I am getting antsy.

I'd wait but to answer the question in a broader sense, the answer is it depends. It's best to make the decision up front and it depends on what you buy and how you'll use it. IF you're cutting it close on points and you'll consistently book at 11 months out, same home resort and UY is very important. If you bought plenty of points for your usage requirements, say 200 when you really only need 170 and/or will consistently book at 7 months or after for a portion, it likely makes no sense at all to worry about it. IMO you make your best choices up front but say you judge you only need 170 at a resort you know you'll need home resort priority consistently AND it's unlikely to be available retail consistently (VGF, BCV & VGC), it may be better to take a slightly larger contract resale and get the cheapest option retail or even a 25 pt at a different resort to use for a few days in a studio here and there.

I'd wait but to answer the question in a broader sense, the answer is it depends. It's best to make the decision up front and it depends on what you buy and how you'll use it. IF you're cutting it close on points and you'll consistently book at 11 months out, same home resort and UY is very important. If you bought plenty of points for your usage requirements, say 200 when you really only need 170 and/or will consistently book at 7 months or after for a portion, it likely makes no sense at all to worry about it. IMO you make your best choices up front but say you judge you only need 170 at a resort you know you'll need home resort priority consistently AND it's unlikely to be available retail consistently (VGF, BCV & VGC), it may be better to take a slightly larger contract resale and get the cheapest option retail or even a 25 pt at a different resort to use for a few days in a studio here and there.
Good points Dean. At this point I have resorted to stalking the ROFR boards to see if anyone posts an April use year resale submission at BCV. Then I will get really antsy and want them to take the contract so they can sell me the points.

Just check in with your guide 1-2 times a week and ask them to let you know if somethings comes available.

Just check in with your guide 1-2 times a week and ask them to let you know if somethings comes available.
I have been doing that as well.....but I always feel like I am bothering him if I check in weekly. He says he has me on an unofficial waiting list.

I have been doing that as well.....but I always feel like I am bothering him if I check in weekly. He says he has me on an unofficial waiting list.
Just let him know you plan to check weekly until you're set. Do so in a very low non threatening tone. It's certainly better than stressing over the ROFR list hoping you can track a contract from there to your account.

Last edited:
FYI - I suggest you change that "can't" to a more equivocal "usually won't." Disney has sold a handful of deeds containing less than 25 points. Since May 2017, there have been eight deeds for less than 25 points, the lowest containing only 10 points.

Most of the time these very small deeds are being sold in pairs to a single owner, so Disney is actually selling 25 or more points to a single owner.

25 points by themselves are kind of worthless at VGF. The cheapest room there is 17 points a night, so the absolute most you could stay there is 4 nights in a studio every 3rd year, and that's with banking AND borrowing.

Be patient -- the BCV points will show up. Just call or email your guide every week and eventually he/she will get more proactive about looking for the points for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!