Does Portofino need to be updated?

jalili99

Earning My Ears
I am very "up in the air" about which hotel to stay at Universal. I've got a reservation at Portofino, but am seeing posts on tripadvisor about rooms needing updating. I can't imagine spending close to $500 a night this Spring Break for a hotel room that needs updating.

To give some background on what I like - stayed at Coronado Springs and loved it. Stay at Caribbean before the rehab in 2016 and was grossed out.

Also, I would change to Royal Pacific, but their pool seems boring without slides for my boys...

Help.

I don’t know if Portifino needs updating but I could have sworn that I had seen it was updated a couple of years ago. You could always just pool hop.

Trip advisor does get some funny comments.

I’ve read reviews of RPR on there that make me wonder if they’ve even been to the hotel.

Wouldn’t pay much attention to those........PBH is beautiful and certainly doesn’t need updating.

TripAdvisor is weird. I think the theming of PBH- style of old Italian European elegence- might make some people think it’s more “dated” when compared to an ultra modern decorating scheme. It’s an extremely nice, clean, modern hotel.

PBH my fav, will admit i was fan of prior decor in the rooms. More minimalistic now but still lovely. Resort is the flagship onsite, very elegant and seems to have less kids about than the other resorts...could be it’s larger footprint & more pools.

HRH is livelier, perhaps more to your liking if kids are looking for lively experience. You are free to pool hop to other resorts. Might want to check out CB’s lazy river if you have time.

HRH is livelier, perhaps more to your liking if kids are looking for lively experience.

Agree with this. We love Coronado Springs and hated Caribbean Beach, and Hard Rock is more our speed out of the Universal resorts. Love the pool at HRH as well. That said, I wouldn't call PBH dated and wouldn't hesitate to stay there if we got a great deal on it. I agree with PP who said the Italian theme might throw people of. It's not our preference, which is why we don't stay there.

I am very "up in the air" about which hotel to stay at Universal. I've got a reservation at Portofino, but am seeing posts on tripadvisor about rooms needing updating. I can't imagine spending close to $500 a night this Spring Break for a hotel room that needs updating.

To give some background on what I like - stayed at Coronado Springs and loved it. Stay at Caribbean before the rehab in 2016 and was grossed out.

Also, I would change to Royal Pacific, but their pool seems boring without slides for my boys...

ps. Why do people pay for breakfast when you can get it for free!

TripAdvisor is weird. I think the theming of PBH- style of old Italian European elegence- might make some people think it’s more “dated” when compared to an ultra modern decorating scheme. It’s an extremely nice, clean, modern hotel.
not weird ! extremely inaccurate

Help.

In my opinion no, couldn't be further from the truth It's far and away nicer than Coronado (pre refurb) and we stayed at both on our first trip. While RPR has a ton of fans on here, we are not among them. My son found the pool area a little boring and I thought it was really loud and the kids were pretty rowdy. The food was good there but we found ourselves missing Portofino a lot.

Pool hopping is totally allowed at Universal resorts.

Trip advisor does get some funny comments.

Yep. I don’t even bother for Uni or Disney stays.

I like comments that talk about how things are just painted on the buildings and how that’s not authentic. Hmm. Kinda the definition of trompe l'oeil...

In my opinion no, couldn't be further from the truth It's far and away nicer than Coronado (pre refurb) and we stayed at both on our first trip. While RPR has a ton of fans on here, we are not among them. My son found the pool area a little boring and I thought it was really loud and the kids were pretty rowdy. The food was good there but we found ourselves missing Portofino a lot.

That’s a shame it was rowdy when you went.

I know what you mean though, one time we pool hopped to PB we were really unlucky to experience a whole group of around 20 who thought the pool was theirs and theirs alone.......very noisy and not the peaceful place we expected.

We love RP pool as whenever we go it’s never been rowdy. Just lively enough with activities without making it appear rowdy. And we don’t mind boring......but of course we don’t need a slide to keep us amused.....I’m quite happy with a cocktail and some music.

And yep, Bula Bar has excellent food.

That’s a shame it was rowdy when you went.

I know what you mean though, one time we pool hopped to PB we were really unlucky to experience a whole group of around 20 who thought the pool was theirs and theirs alone.......very noisy and not the peaceful place we expected.

We love RP pool as whenever we go it’s never been rowdy. Just lively enough with activities without making it appear rowdy. And we don’t mind boring......but of course we don’t need a slide to keep us amused.....I’m quite happy with a cocktail and some music.

And yep, Bula Bar has excellent food.

I think that's of course an outlier, but it's one of those things that set a bad impression, could happen anywhere though!

We were there a few months ago in a delux queen. It surprised me that the shower appeared to badly need a re-grout. The room was otherwise in good shape.

I think that's of course an outlier, but it's one of those things that set a bad impression, could happen anywhere though!

Of course it can.

We were there a few months ago in a delux queen. It surprised me that the shower appeared to badly need a re-grout. The room was otherwise in good shape.

Good to hear!

If there is anything needing doing we call star services and they have someone remedy the issue usually. Regrouting shouldn’t take long to do once reported.

Housekeepers are usually good, but some miss reporting issues at times.

Of course it can.

Good to hear!

If there is anything needing doing we call star services and they have someone remedy the issue usually. Regrouting shouldn’t take long to do once reported.

Housekeepers are usually good, but some miss reporting issues at times.

Great to hear- I did mention it to the front desk, I didn’t realize about calling star services. I’m guessing it’s been fixed by now.

Great to hear- I did mention it to the front desk, I didn’t realize about calling star services. I’m guessing it’s been fixed by now.

Lol......I would hope so!

Least you mentioned it to them........some don’t........:)

PBH was very nice, clean, and in good shape when we stayed there in July. I didn't notice any dirty flooring, marred walls, beat up furniture, or stained grout. Rooms can differ though. We liked and would stay there again anytime. Maybe, like others have said, it's the "classic" styling that makes it seem dated.

We really enjoyed our stay in PBR last September, but I thought the bathroom could definitely use an update. The shower was super tiny and seemed old. I am used to a large shower at home and the size of the shower at PBR was a bit uncomfortable- and I am a relatively small person. We were in a deluxe queen, CL room overlooking the Villa pool. I assume all rooms have the same shower setup, but I am not certain.

I thought the rooms were beautiful, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter