Does RunDisney ever credit due to injury?

mtnmjd

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are coming for Marathon Weekend, I am doing Dopey and she planned on doing the 1/2.
Well, two weeks ago she tripped over boxes of Xmas decorations as she stepped off the treadmill (my fault, as I left them too close).
She ended up with one severely sprained ankle and one fractured ankle, the sprain is more painful than the fracture. Her orthopedist gave her two Aircasts and told her no running for at least 4 weeks, which would be the week of her Half. She briefly entertained run/walking the half but she isn't seeing much improvement in her ankles and now has decided it is not in her best interest to attempt the race.
I know the fine print says "non-refundable" but has anyone had success getting a refund or deferment from RunDisney and what method did you use? I'd love to recoup at least some of the race fee and race retreat and possibly use it for W&D.

She is also considering staying home completely as she doesn't even think she'd be able to navigate the parks to her satisfaction. So my carelessness may have just turned a nice getaway with my wife into a solo trip. :sad:

You will have to contact runDisney. They may give you something back via gift card or something. They have been known to kind of go case by case. There are no guarantees though.
I figured it would be a case by case, as I thought I'd heard people with both outcomes.
I'd love a complete refund or giftcard but I would also be thrilled if they let her transfer to another half.

I figured it would be a case by case, as I thought I'd heard people with both outcomes.
I'd love a complete refund or giftcard but I would also be thrilled if they let her transfer to another half.
I haven’t heard of any transfers happening. It’s usually some sort of partial refund via gift card or something like that. Definitely call/email and see what they will do.

With the way the races haven't been selling out, it's definitely worth a shot in asking. The worst they can say is no.

It depends on who you get at RunDisney. I fell off a ladder before Wine & Dine in 2017. Sprained both wrists, an ankle, bruised my ribs and banged up both knees. I got a big fat “too bad, so sad” from RunDisney yet others receive refunds and partial refunds.

It depends on who you get at RunDisney. I fell off a ladder before Wine & Dine in 2017. Sprained both wrists, an ankle, bruised my ribs and banged up both knees. I got a big fat “too bad, so sad” from RunDisney yet others receive refunds and partial refunds.
Yep, also depends on who you know. I know someone who got direct contact to the rD president and got a full refund after an injury.

Keels,
Are you suggesting that I should contact this person?
That is the president of runDisney. If you don't get anywhere just contacting runDisney generally I would then contact Faron and someone from his office will probably get back to you.

Keels,
Are you suggesting that I should contact this person?

He’s the President of runDisney, so that’s up to you how far up the chain you want to go.

disneysports@trackshack.com is another email address, but I would start with WDWSportsRegistration@disney.com and be very specific with your request - ie. transfer to Star Wars half. Include everything (her name, registration number, etc.) and see what they say.

That is the president of runDisney. If you don't get anywhere just contacting runDisney generally I would then contact Faron and someone from his office will probably get back to you.
Got it.

Thank you all for your help!
I will try emailing tonight. Hopefully it doesn't ignored with the holidays coming up.

I'm glad I came across this post; my mom's cancer is back and she was supposed to run all the races with me. I'm going solo now (and running in honor of her) but I just assumed that I couldn't get any of the registration money back. They seem to be pretty firm on no refunds.

Either way, now I will send an email and ask... worse they can say is no. Thanks guys! :lovestruc

DS was flying in for his first Disney Half. Army just told him forget all vacation time (not a deployment) so DW sent email to RD. They kept a small adm. fee and sent a check.

Suggest an email with explanation, doctor's diagnosis and recommendation, a honest heart wrenching story and maybe ask for a deferral.

Sorry and good luck with your events.

My wife and I are coming for Marathon Weekend, I am doing Dopey and she planned on doing the 1/2.
Well, two weeks ago she tripped over boxes of Xmas decorations as she stepped off the treadmill (my fault, as I left them too close).
She ended up with one severely sprained ankle and one fractured ankle, the sprain is more painful than the fracture.

I feel for your wife!! Last January I merely stepped off my treadmill (no Christmas decorations to blame!) and sprained my ankle. Worst pain of my life! I could not run for a couple months after. I still have ankle pain.

Missing the race sucks, but I would still go on the trip...even if I had to sit on a bench all day, I would still be at Disney!

I am back to report some success!
I got a response from RunDisney@disneysports. She reiterated that there are no deferrals and races are non-refundable but offered a partial refund as a gesture of goodwill.
They will be sending an e-giftcard for about 50% of what I spent on my wife's 1/2 and race retreat.
I am more than happy with the outcome as I fully expected to be told, "sorry, thank you for your money".

That's great to hear.
I did the Star Wars Challenge back in April, at least I planned to. After the 10K I had sharp pain in my right side, which got to the point of an ambulance run to Dr Phillips hospital from OKW. The running had lodged a kidney stone I did not know I had into the tubes. We did not have a car at the time but Disney and RunDisney assisted my family with transportation, all my medical needs in the room(extra pillows, etc), plus they even fed my family with room service at no charge and gave park admission to our kids for Sunday at no cost. They even delivered the half and challenge medals to the room. What Disney provided was more than the cost of the race sign up.

That's great to hear.
I did the Star Wars Challenge back in April, at least I planned to. After the 10K I had sharp pain in my right side, which got to the point of an ambulance run to Dr Phillips hospital from OKW. The running had lodged a kidney stone I did not know I had into the tubes. We did not have a car at the time but Disney and RunDisney assisted my family with transportation, all my medical needs in the room(extra pillows, etc), plus they even fed my family with room service at no charge and gave park admission to our kids for Sunday at no cost. They even delivered the half and challenge medals to the room. What Disney provided was more than the cost of the race sign up.

Wow. So sorry that happened to you but the fact that Disney helped out you and your family to that extent is great to hear.

Just FYI I tore my meniscus and had surgery two weeks ago. I emailed RunDisney with the details, offered to give a note from my surgeon, a picture of my scars, etc. I got a hard no on any sort of refund or deferral. So no Princess for me and no refund. I understand the policy, it's just a bummer since it is such an expensive half. I also prepaid for a jacket, which they did not address in their form response. Does anyone know if that is refundable?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!