Does such a restaurant exist?

MaggieBags

Mouseketeer
We may be in Orlando for my husband birthday. Any recommendations knowing our parameters?
  • Resort or Disney Springs restaurants only as we won't have park tickets
  • A nicer restaurant but still kid-friendly in the sense the meal won't take too long (2 year old with a short window of patience). Not worried about the kids' meals; they would be happy with any kind of pasta.
  • Birthday guy prefers beef over seafood or pasta
Any recommendations?

Thank you!

We may be in Orlando for my husband birthday. Any recommendations knowing our parameters?
  • Resort or Disney Springs restaurants only as we won't have park tickets
  • A nicer restaurant but still kid-friendly in the sense the meal won't take too long (2 year old with a short window of patience). Not worried about the kids' meals; they would be happy with any kind of pasta.
  • Birthday guy prefers beef over seafood or pasta
Any recommendations?

Thank you!
Recommendation for whom?

Child that wants pasta? Adult wanting to celebrate a birthday? A mom wanting to make everyone happy?

My then 2 y.o. was excellent at ruining just about every sit-down meal my wife & I attempted to enjoy.

As a parent, be forewarned - even the best laid plans can fail with a 2 y.o.

It's Disney - everything is kid friendly. Almost all meals can be hurried. This plan works best at 'first seating' for dinner - at about 5pm. Some 2 y.o. may be better for lunch (mine was).

Resorts are a way to 'taste' Disney without Park tickets. Some Resorts are better than others for strolling. Opinions on what constitutes a 'good resort' and/or a 'good stroll' differs from family to family - and even amongst people around DisBoards with whom I typically agree on other matters.

Disney has some dinner buffets offering something for everyone - Cape May Cafe (seafood), Boma (flavors of Africa), 1900 Park Fare (Characters). Cape May offers Boardwalk stroll; Boma offers a chance to see the animals throughout the Resort during daylight hours - before dinner; 1900 is at Grand Floridian with jazz playing from the Resort balcony.

Yachtman is a reasonable steak and also at Boardwalk. Shula's may be a better steak and is other side of Boardwalk.

Disney Springs - Homecoming is the 'hot spot' but a bit less steak than fried chicken. Boathouse is also the 'hot spot' and their menu has everything - with focus on top-notch meat & seafood. Paddlefish is new, with a bit more focus on seafood. Disney Springs also offers a chance for adults to stroll the most places with a toddler sleeping inside their stroller.

For steak, and with a little one, Yachtsman should work. The atmosphere is beautiful, and the food is delicious--although on our last visit it was a bit overly salty, so you might want to keep that in mind. We have eaten there a few times and there are always kids in the restaurant. HBD to your hubby!

Yachtsman is delicious but our meal was close to 3 hours and it was just 2 of us. How about California grill? Its at the top of the contemporary hotel and has amazing views of MK at night and the fireworks. A little less upscale would be Ohana at the poly. They have activities for the kids to keep them entertained. Don't let the menu scare you because you don't think your child will eat anything. Although it's not advertised they will make kids just about anything. Grilled cheese, noodles, burgers, hot dogs, etc.

Yatchmans at yatch club for a steak lover. It is a nice atmosphere and its disney so always accomodating for kids but it is not that stimulating for a child.

Ohana at Poly is a fun atmosphere and has lots of meat. My two year old loved the noodles that come with the meal. Very kid friendly.

For a more "fun" atmosphere, I agree with the O'hana suggestion. It's not fine dining, but they have steak, chicken, etc. and there is Polynesian music, the limbo, coconut races.

If you want a more fine dining experience, I would consider Cali Grill. It's very good, you get whisked up in a special elevator and the view is spectacular. There will also be plenty of families there. I ate there with DS9 in December and the meal only took about an hour.

Artist Point at Wilderness Lodge might fit the bill. It's really nice but not TOO fancy and it has steaks... More of a "meat and potatoes" kind of menu.

From the steak perspective, as others have suggestion Yachtsman is great and we've been taking our daughter there since she was 3. Jiko is also known for some very good steaks, though I've never personally had them there. It would be great to check out AKL and I'm sure your little one would love to see the animals.

My then 2 y.o. was excellent at ruining just about every sit-down meal my wife & I attempted to enjoy.

As a parent, be forewarned - even the best laid plans can fail with a 2 y.o.

It's Disney - everything is kid friendly. Almost all meals can be hurried. This plan works best at 'first seating' for dinner - at about 5pm. Some 2 y.o. may be better for lunch (mine was). .

I totally agree here with everything including lunch time. If we were lucky, ours would fall asleep in the bus or stroller and slept through dinner/lunch. He would sleep on my lap in a booth.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Good point about lunch over dinner too. I fully expect to be spending some time out in hall/foyer of wherever we go to keep her quiet while we wait for the food.

Off to do some research. Thanks again!

If prime rib fits the requirement, think about Olivia's at Old Key West. Good food, relaxed atmosphere, easy to get into at any time.

Steve

I also vote for 'Ohana. Nice atmosphere, Disney ambiance without park tickets, enough going on to keep the 2 y.o. entertained, the food is continuosly brought out, a plus for impatient diners, beef for the Bday guy, noodles and chicken for the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter