Does Use Year really matter?

People do this all the time but think about it:

if you have an Oct UY and want to book your home resort for Dec 2019 at 11 months out, you'd call or go online in Jan 2019.

if you have an Aug UY and want to book your home resort for Dec 2019 at 11 months out, you'd...still call or go online in Jan 2019.

11 months is 11 months and the 11 month window is the home resort priority - based on which resort you purchase with no relationship at all to Use Year. Different UYs will give you different banking windows and maybe extra waitlist options, but UY has nothing to do with booking priority...

Funny thing: I knew thus at one point and get while continuously reading it being said the wrong way around is forgotten! Ugh. And my easily fallible memory is why I already figured keeping track of one use year is best for me! Thank-you for the reminder.

So can I jump in and ask a newbie question - our typical big family travel week is late Jan/early Feb but as our kids get older, I anticipate some summer trips and perhaps a few fall adult only trips - what use years would you all be looking at? I appreciate the thoughts and OP hope I'm not hijacking too much

So can I jump in and ask a newbie question - our typical big family travel week is late Jan/early Feb but as our kids get older, I anticipate some summer trips and perhaps a few fall adult only trips - what use years would you all be looking at? I appreciate the thoughts and OP hope I'm not hijacking too much
Well maybe Dec since your trips would all be Jan, Feb, June, July. Jan would be good but they don't have a Jan UY. You want to pick a UY where your trips would all be right after. So I have June and Aug. Say I book an Oct 2019 trip with Aug 2019 points but need to cancel the trip in July 2019...the points go back in Aug 2019 UY and can be banked. Dec is also the UY with the most points so if you ever add on more points via resale, it would be easier to find a contract with Dec UY.

That's tough, but I'd weigh what you need now more heavily than what you might need later.

Your adults only trips might likely be less "risky" in terms of cancellation. So, I'd probably go with December.

Another strategy would be August...you could limit summer trips to August-only and you'd still be within banking deadline for your Fall and Jan/Feb trips.

Well maybe Dec since your trips would all be Jan, Feb, June, July. Jan would be good but they don't have a Jan UY. You want to pick a UY where your trips would all be right after. So I have June and Aug. Say I book an Oct 2019 trip with Aug 2019 points but need to cancel the trip in July 2019...the points go back in Aug 2019 UY and can be banked. Dec is also the UY with the most points so if you ever add on more points via resale, it would be easier to find a contract with Dec UY.

That's tough, but I'd weigh what you need now more heavily than what you might need later.

Your adults only trips might likely be less "risky" in terms of cancellation. So, I'd probably go with December.

Another strategy would be August...you could limit summer trips to August-only and you'd still be within banking deadline for your Fall and Jan/Feb trips.

Thank you both for weighing in! Sounds like I should keep an eye out for Dec

That's a difficult one. Dec is likely best as a single UY, June might work just as well. It really depends on the volume of each. I'd make my best guess as to the % of travel, really the number of points of each time and go from there. At 50/50 I'd go with the best contract at the selected home resort. If you were buying now that might be Dec but in a couple of months it'll switch over to June.

That's a difficult one. Dec is likely best as a single UY, June might work just as well. It really depends on the volume of each. I'd make my best guess as to the % of travel, really the number of points of each time and go from there. At 50/50 I'd go with the best contract at the selected home resort. If you were buying now that might be Dec but in a couple of months it'll switch over to June.

Thanks, trying to wrap my head around it all

Thanks, trying to wrap my head around it all
Sure, you shouldn't proceed until it's second nature IMO. It'll take about 6 months of active investigation is you don't have a decent timeshare background. You should also have some knowledge of DVC in person and on property experience. If you haven't stayed at DVC, I'd do so before buying in most situations, you'll make better decisions that you won't make up by buying sooner to get that next trip in on points.

Sure, you shouldn't proceed until it's second nature IMO. It'll take about 6 months of active investigation is you don't have a decent timeshare background. You should also have some knowledge of DVC in person and on property experience. If you haven't stayed at DVC, I'd do so before buying in most situations, you'll make better decisions that you won't make up by buying sooner to get that next trip in on points.

good info - we've rented points and stayed dvc so I feel confident about the process of actually experiencing dvc - but learning the purchase and contract details is certainly an entirely different thing.

good info - we've rented points and stayed dvc so I feel confident about the process of actually experiencing dvc - but learning the purchase and contract details is certainly an entirely different thing.
Sure it is but with DVC and on property experience it simply becomes a math issue as to whether buying makes sense and whether you can afford it. Then it's just learning enough to know UY, home resort and number of points but that still takes a little time unless you have a number of DVC stays at different resorts. Common mistakes are buying when you can't really afford it, buying the wrong number of points (too few, too many), getting manic and doing multiple contracts/add ons when it doesn't make sense, buying too quickly and making a bad choice in any one or more of these areas. Other mistakes include buying retail for emotional reasons or buying DVC planning to use for non Disney/DVC stays.

Sure it is but with DVC and on property experience it simply becomes a math issue as to whether buying makes sense and whether you can afford it. Then it's just learning enough to know UY, home resort and number of points but that still takes a little time unless you have a number of DVC stays at different resorts. Common mistakes are buying when you can't really afford it, buying the wrong number of points (too few, too many), getting manic and doing multiple contracts/add ons when it doesn't make sense, buying too quickly and making a bad choice in any one or more of these areas. Other mistakes include buying retail for emotional reasons or buying DVC planning to use for non Disney/DVC stays.

So do you not suggest using points at HHI (or are you considering that a Disney stay, I may have misread)? My parents would be the purchasers, affordability isn't the issue so much as just deciding if it's how we want to spend the vacation dollars. We had thought about buying enough points that my parents could have time at HHI when they'd like. (my dad is a big golfer and they have vacationed there often in the past - not the Disney property but elsewhere on the island). I'll make sure I'm 'fluent' before making any decisions! :)

So do you not suggest using points at HHI (or are you considering that a Disney stay, I may have misread)? My parents would be the purchasers, affordability isn't the issue so much as just deciding if it's how we want to spend the vacation dollars. We had thought about buying enough points that my parents could have time at HHI when they'd like. (my dad is a big golfer and they have vacationed there often in the past - not the Disney property but elsewhere on the island). I'll make sure I'm 'fluent' before making any decisions! :)
We have some at HH (125 there and 200 OKW and 255 BWV) and love it there. We did stay there with our OKW points but getting a resie is tough at the 7 month window. Specifically for summer time and Thanksgiving and Xmas-NY time. I was just there last month and cannot say enough good things. We pretty much solely use the HH points there only. And would use our OKw there too and at Vero when we feel the desire. We are discussing another visit to Vero (but we love HH way way way more).

Within DVC including VGC, HH, VB & Aulani are reasonable. They need to understand what they're buying and you should know that only those on the deeds have legal rights and any applicable perks. Good luck.

UY has impacted our vacation flexibility and it has a value but lower purchase price can offset or exceed that value. Purchased a very well priced Sep UY SSR contract last year that came loaded with points from previous and current UY. Purchased with the intent to use during the summer at BLT/BC and did so aware of the banking risks. Booked BLT/BC for two weeks this August with plans for lots of pool and water park time and then my wife has a shoulder injury that is going to limit her in the pool, water parks, and rides. This happened at the end of April and it took us a couple of weeks to realize the extent of the injury. If we could bank we would probably reduce to a single week (use expiring banked 2016 points) and bank the 2017 points to next year. So we rolled the dice and it’s bitten us a little but I still think it was worth the purchase. It’s up to the individual to assess their own risk of changing plans, their tolerance for it, and the cost benefit of the contract.

UY has impacted our vacation flexibility and it has a value but lower purchase price can offset or exceed that value. Purchased a very well priced Sep UY SSR contract last year that came loaded with points from previous and current UY. Purchased with the intent to use during the summer at BLT/BC and did so aware of the banking risks. Booked BLT/BC for two weeks this August with plans for lots of pool and water park time and then my wife has a shoulder injury that is going to limit her in the pool, water parks, and rides. This happened at the end of April and it took us a couple of weeks to realize the extent of the injury. If we could bank we would probably reduce to a single week (use expiring banked 2016 points) and bank the 2017 points to next year. So we rolled the dice and it’s bitten us a little but I still think it was worth the purchase. It’s up to the individual to assess their own risk of changing plans, their tolerance for it, and the cost benefit of the contract.
I think it's unlikely simply purchase price alone can offset that issue but I'd agree that a fully loaded contract, difficult to find resort or contract and a subsidized contract can be as or more important. I put a value of roughly one years worth of points so you'd need to save around $10-13 per point to offset if one is in a position where a good UY can be determined. Where one is traveling at different times, they are simply taking more risk owning DVC and thus should consider whether DVC is a good choice for them with that and the other risks/issues that one should consider.

When you’re trips are spread out, I find it’s best to ask this question: which three consecutive months will you never travel to Disney? Choose the use year just after those. If you’ll never travel in March/April/May, then choose June. If you’ll never travel in Sept/Oct/Nov, choose December.

This method works because of holding and banking rules, but is only applicable when there is not one or two clear annual travel times.

When you’re trips are spread out, I find it’s best to ask this question: which three consecutive months will you never travel to Disney? Choose the use year just after those. If you’ll never travel in March/April/May, then choose June. If you’ll never travel in Sept/Oct/Nov, choose December.

This method works because of holding and banking rules, but is only applicable when there is not one or two clear annual travel times.

Thank you that's a very good way to think about it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter