Dolphin dies after collision during Sea World trick

SteveInBrooklyn

Ah, Florida! Beautiful weather, harsh penal system
Sad story at Sea World

(CNN) -- 30-year-old dolphin at Sea World has died after colliding with another dolphin while performing aerial tricks, the Orlando, Florida, amusement park said Monday.

The incident occurred about 4:30 p.m. Saturday at the Discovery Cove area of the park, according to a statement by Sea World spokeswoman Becca Bides.

The animals were in the center of the lagoon and not near guests, she said.

The dolphin who died was named Sharky. The other dolphin, Tyler, is being watched by veterinarians but appears to be fine, Bides said.

"This is an unfortunate, random incident," Bides said in a written statement.

"While it is not unusual to have two animals performing aerial behaviors at the same time, we are reviewing the situation to ensure even such a random incident does not occur again."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/28/dolphin.death/index.html

:sad1: Something about animals dying makes me so sad. I am sure that the people that train the dolphins are extremely upset over this. They form such a bond with the animals.

This is very sad news.

You know the fallout though. There are bound to be pundits on this saying that these animals who are 'forced' to perform aerial tricks for a crowd of humans are going to get hurt and therefore should not be doing such things, etc.

Me personally, I think these animals probably fare better in places like Sea World and Discovery Cove than Zoos. Some of the dolphins especially are taken very good care of here and Discovery Cove vs. the wild due to fishing and poaching.

Poor dolphin. :sad1: :sad1: :sad1: I had the opportunity to swim with beautiful dolphins down in Cozumel, Mexico...so it makes my heart hurt to hear about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter