Dolphin vs. Boardwalk

syzslak

Mouseketeer
My last question didn't get such great results so I'll try a less popular question. Would a vacation be better served with lodging at the Boardwalk Inn or the Dolphin?

I say stay at The Boardwalk Inn!
Here's a picture of a room in the Inn, which are much prettier than the rooms on the villa side.
fcdfddf5.jpg

We LOVE the Boardwalk. We stayed at The Swan a couple of months ago, the room was recently renovated and it was very nice.
I didn't like that there was no ceiling fan and the view was horrible. It's hard to explain where our room was but even the worse view at the Boardwalk is still a pretty good view!
I also like a balcony because I like to be able to open something and get some fresh air. Some Dolphin and Swan rooms have balconies and good views. I went for the cheapest rate, with the Teacher's discount.
Even with that great rate, I don't THINK I will stay there again.
I'd have to pay more to get a balcony and a better view, or jump through hoops like it seems so many people do to get the room they want at the Dolphin and Swan.
We are ALWAYS happy when we stay at The Boardwalk.
I've had to ask to change my room there a few times but have always ended up very pleased.
One room was VERY far away from the elevators and the balcony was right above some machinery, around the side of the ESPN Club. You could see Epcot though!
The CM checking us in suggested we go see the room first and decide if it was too far away. I had heard about some of the rooms being so far but I thought it wouldn't be a big deal.
It WAS VERY FAR! That, and being right over the A/C units or whatever they were, made us decide to choose another location.
We ended up in a beautiful room overlooking the courtyard with a view of the Eiffel Tower and Illuminations at night, that's a standard view.
We also love the Belle Vue Room (the lounge) in the Boardwalk.
It stormed on Christmas Eve. We had a fantastic dinner downstairs in the Flying Fish and then spent the rest of the night playing Scrabble in the lounge. It was beautifully decorated and warm and cozy.
I have gotten great deals renting studios on the Villa side of the Boardwalk and will continue to do that when I can. This is done through the DVC rent/trade board.
Otherwise, I will search for good deals and stay at the Inn.
If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer them!

I feel exactly as montesorri does!:D We love the Boardwalk Inn! I'm a teacher and we stayed at the Dolphin last summer for 2 nights when we last minute decided to add on to our vacation. We enjoyed staying at the Boardwalk Inn and the Beach Club so much more. Even with the teacher discount. The resort plays a big part of our vacation since our kids are young and they love to swim. Keister Roller Coaster water slide is our favorite!

Last Jan. we stayed at the BWI and we just returned Friday from 6 nights at the Swan. First, let me say they are both beautiful hotels. We have always stayed at Disney-run propeties, so this was a big leap for us. The biggest difference was the "Disney Magic". While we were at Swan, they were a lot of convention goers. The weather was quite warm enough for us to swim so I can't really comment on the Swan and Dolphin's pool.

As far the rooms go:

Swan: we were in a newly renovated "Heavenly Bed" room on the corner of the third floor. No balcony, but we could see Tower of Terror from one window and could see the higher fireworks from illuminations. The room was very nicely decorated and very clean. The beds were everything they claim!!! By far the most comfortable hotel bed I every slept in. We were there with a govt. rate. The resort fee has been increased to $10.00 and I was only able to get them to waive half of it. We would definately stay here again! Also, Tubbi's has Starbucks coffee.

Boardwalk: I think we were also on the 3rd floor here with a tiny balcony overlooking a very pretty courtyard and the quiet pool. The room was decorated very nicely. I think it was a little larger than the Swan's. Room seemed to be clean but we did find a few items that Housekeeping missed, sock under day bed etc, no big deal. We would also stay here again with the right rate.

Both resorts are a short walk to Epcot and MGM. I guess you couldn't go wrong with either. But if you have small children, BWI has the Disney Magic!

Last Jan. we stayed at the BWI and we just returned Friday from 6 nights at the Swan. First, let me say they are both beautiful hotels. We have always stayed at Disney-run propeties, so this was a big leap for us. The biggest difference was the "Disney Magic". While we were at Swan, they were a lot of convention goers. The weather was quite warm enough for us to swim so I can't really comment on the Swan and Dolphin's pool.

As far the rooms go:

Swan: we were in a newly renovated "Heavenly Bed" room on the corner of the third floor. No balcony, but we could see Tower of Terror from one window and could see the higher fireworks from illuminations. The room was very nicely decorated and very clean. The beds were everything they claim!!! By far the most comfortable hotel bed I every slept in. We were there with a govt. rate. The resort fee has been increased to $10.00 and I was only able to get them to waive half of it. We would definately stay here again! Also, Tubbi's has Starbucks coffee.

Boardwalk: I think we were also on the 3rd floor here with a tiny balcony overlooking a very pretty courtyard and the quiet pool. The room was decorated very nicely. I think it was a little larger than the Swan's. Room seemed to be clean but we did find a few items that Housekeeping missed, sock under day bed etc, no big deal. We would also stay here again with the right rate.

Both resorts are a short walk to Epcot and MGM. I guess you couldn't go wrong with either. But if you have small children, BWI has the Disney Magic!

Have never stayed at S/D so really can't comment on them but we stayed first time at BWI last year and fell in love. We had stayed Poly before and really liked that but somehow the BWI just felt right for us. My kids really loved the pool and the BW entertainers. All the staff were so nice and helpful. Our room was recently redone and very nice. We plan to stay there again next trip.:D

You all are a greater help this time. We can't necessarily afford the BWI or the Dolphin, but I thought I might have enough time to come up with something. We just loved the boardwalk last July and wanted to be nearer to it. It was a bit of an hassle to catch two buses just for dinner, and I thought that next trip we'd just stay on the boardwalk and make it that much easier. Plus, MGM and Epcot are my favourites.

Montessori,
How did you get great villa deals?

I have stayed at both the BWI and the Dolphin. I love the BWI. The themeing is fantastic and the rooms are quite pretty. I agree with an earlier post that even a supposed bad view is still lovely (except I suppose the rooms that face the entrance).

I chose the Dolphin for the fantastic teacher rate and will most likely return there again. I liked the Dolphin, too. However, if their costs were the same - I'd go for BWI.

We just returned from the Swan. We got a terrific rate of one room at $159/ the second for $100 due to a Florida resident special going on. The hotel was beautiful and the beds were even better. My husband and I thought that the lack of "Disney Magic" was actually a bit of a break. It was less crowded and was very peaceful. We would definetely stay there again. I think the Epcot area resorts are wonderful. I have stayed at BWI in the past and felt the room was really small and a bit worn. Our view was of nothing, really. We stayed at the Yacht Club this summer and thought it was worth it for the pool alone, but as for the rooms, they too were worn and small.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter