Don’t Know If She’s Elated or Gassy: Disney World with a Newborn, Feb 2020. Day TR UPDATE 9/18

I'm starting to wonder this too. I know there would be a lot of people upset who would have to change plans multiple times already...but with cases going up like they are in FL...just not sure it's a great idea...nevermind the fact that us Canadians (plus a lot of other countries around the world) can't even leave home yet...sigh...who knows what the answer is!

I will never understand why they made TS so small in general. It was always bound to be popular and even if it was double the size it would still always be busy and could still be cozy...

I know! Did they literally have nowhere else to put more space? I also love how the hosts will say, "We don't have room inside but there's lots of room on the patio!" Honey, we all know the patio isn't the REAL Trader Sam's experience 😆

I'm jealous of my friends in Canada. I know it's hard to be in a stricter lockdown but at least your numbers are more in control. It just feels like chaos here. I hate this feeling so much.

Sounds like a lovely time with your sister and DD. It looks like a lot of food and, for Disney, not a bad price. Uh oh, COVID is rearing it's ugly head. When it all started, it was a scary and uncertain time. It still is but not quite as scary. Nice you had this time together because who knows when things will 100% return to normal.

Oh, I'm still plenty scared, haha. But if I dwell on it too much I would get nothing done. I'm glad I'm back at work. Keeps my mind nice and busy.

I love tea at the Garden View Tea Room. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a nice time with your sister and your daughter!

It's a really great place! I would call it a hidden gem but considering how hard it was to get a reservation, maybe not???

Day 6, Part 2: Calming Waters

April turns six months old on Saturday! I can't even believe it. Still no idea when we'll get to Disney. We have the October trip booked, but with things changing so often, that seems like an epoch away right now and I'm not nearly ready to either commit to going or cancel. If it were tomorrow, though, I would cancel. Right now it doesn't really matter what precautions Disney puts in place; there's just no getting around the fact that central FL is a COVID epicenter. Anyway, onto the report.

My dad, understandably, was disturbed by my text. In retrospect, it probably wasn’t the best idea to send while I was already on my way back to see him, but I was so concerned about DH’s concerns that I was starting to think the best thing to do was to just pack up and head home immediately, and if that happened I didn’t want my dad to be blindsided by that.

We all met up in the room and I explained what was going on. He didn’t think there was cause for much alarm, but he could tell I was upset, and so he held April so I could start packing and figure out what I wanted to do. I wasn’t absolutely certain I wanted to leave right away, but I was starting to realize the smart thing to do, even if the virus was not a factor, was to leave that day anyway.

Normally on these trips, I leave in the morning shortly before or after my dad and my sister get on the Magical Express bus, giving myself enough time to arrive home right around the start to my work day. This allows me to maximize my time with them. However, every trip before this one, I hadn’t had an infant to contend with. Getting her ready in the mornings quadrupled my total morning preparation time, and even though I didn’t have work to get back to as I was still on leave, heading out in the morning seemed like a really daunting task, especially since Dad and Rebekah would have to be on the ME bus very early, leaving them no time to help me get ready or pack the car. So it seemed like the smartest idea was to leave that day, and while I wasn’t sure what time yet, packing at least helped the room get neater and helped me deal with my thoughts.

I really didn’t want to leave yet, and was beginning to realize the threat was small enough for right now that just hanging out at the hotel was likely not very risky. My dad was practically begging for at least one more trip to the pool, so I agreed. I got April and myself ready, and we headed over to the quiet pool.

l44xkMy.jpg

dZEeuY1.jpg

As you can see, she was very excited to go! Haha. I just love her Little Mermaid swimsuit. Sadly, this was the only time she wore it, as she outgrew it quickly. But I’m sure there will be lots of Disney-themed swimwear in her future!

Pw7ru9K.jpg

Se6OvyF.jpg

At the pool, my dad went to swim a few laps and I nursed and snuggled with April while I tried to put the nervous thoughts out of my mind. It’s painful to write about now, when the virus is an even bigger threat than ever before, because this was really the day and even the hours that marked a really horrible turning point in the year, both for my family and for so many of us. But I really have to believe that better days are coming.

I decided, as the afternoon waned, that it would be a good idea to at least stay at Disney for dinner. After all, I had to eat either way, and being exhausted from the end of a long vacation I would end up buying something anyway, so why not eat with my family? I took a look at the app, and we booked a dinner reservation for Kona Café that was coming up in a few hours. I texted DH that after dinner, I planned to come home. He was still quite worried but now that he was at work, I at least knew he’d be a little distracted from his fears.

Once that was settled, I felt a bit better. Dad and I took turns playing with April in the water while Rebekah watched. It was April’s first time in the pool! I was glad we got at least one day where it was warm enough for her to try it out.

lgkPswh.jpg

1tH1XfG.jpg

ECZ1n26.jpg

O221cXb.jpg

mheOub5.jpg

She was a bit indifferent to it. We recently got a splash pad for our house and she was still quite unsure, but you can see the difference in how she interacts to it and took to it pretty quickly. Can’t believe how much she’s changed since this trip!

z8ukX4m.jpg

oQHhQvw.jpg

We finished up at the pool and went back to the room. We still had some time before our reservation so I packed up the car as much as possible, and then we headed to the GCH for our meal.

Up next…dinner!

I'm glad you were able to enjoy some pool time with your family before you headed home. It will be a sweet memory to hold onto until you can have your next trip with your dad!

I'm glad you were able to enjoy some pool time with your family before you headed home. It will be a sweet memory to hold onto until you can have your next trip with your dad!

Thanks! It definitely helped soften the blow. I wish we had access to a pool now. We've been invited to my in-laws' in Tampa several times, but since they have not been doing basically any kind of social distancing or wearing masks or anything to indicate they're taking this seriously (ugh) we've had to decline.

Sorry it's been a minute since my last update! Only one or two after this one, then I'll do a wrap-up. Things have been a little crazy here, with work and home life obligations. I unfortunately lost my beloved grandmother this past weekend. She was my last grandparent and due to the quarantine she never got to meet April. It was a shocking loss because she had been very healthy and went downhill very quickly. I took a few days off work to grieve, which also meant a few days break from working on this report since I wasn't on my computer.

Day 6, Part 3: Dinner, and a New Plan

By the time it was time to check in for our dinner reservation at Kona Café, I was a bit calmer, and starting to feel the sting of the end of a Disney trip. Even though it had been one of the most exhausting trips of my life, and even though my family can drive me crazy sometimes, I still cherish our time together. No matter how many days we extend our trips to, it never seems like enough.

On a secondary level, I was also sad because if I went home right after dinner, it would mean I would not get to see Epcot Forever, as we hadn’t seen them during our Epcot day because we left the park early. I was trying to make peace with this, even asking around in my Disney Facebook groups if it was really that good. The consensus I received back was naw, it wasn’t anything too special, but somehow that didn’t make me feel better. I am a vintage Epcot nut; my greatest wish would be for Horizons to be rebuilt just as it was in the 80’s, followed by the original Journey Into Imagination. A fireworks show designed around music and sounds from old school Epcot seemed like it was practically made for me. And since Epcot Forever was a temporary show, and there was now a new wrench in everything with COVID, who knew if I would be able to get back to the parks to see it. I knew even then that the situation was only going to get worse, which meant that today was literally the safest day to see the fireworks until who knew when.

Even though I had already told DH that I intended to come home after dinner, I called him while we waited for our food to see if he would be okay with an alternate proposal: I go to Epcot with my dad just to see the fireworks (Rebekah wasn’t into it and just wanted to chill in the room), and then come straight home. He was okay with it. I felt bad that I was going back on what I had already said I would do, but luckily he was gracious and understanding. I felt much better about the trajectory of the day, and felt that fireworks at Epcot was the right way to end our vacation together.

With that taken care of, it was time to enjoy our meal. I can no longer remember what everyone else had. I want to say my dad had a burger? Anyway, I had a noodle bowl with pork belly.

7klntvg.jpg

It was very good, though not the most flavorful thing I’ve had at Kona café. But it was good comfort food and exactly what I needed in that moment.

After dinner we went back to the room. Rebekah and I exchanged heartfelt goodbyes, and Dad and I took the last of my stuff to the car. Then he, April, and I got in for one last trip to the parks.

Up next…our last night.

Sorry your last day was so stressful. Little did we know back then......Nice you were able to put off your departure to enjoy the pool, dinner and fireworks. Totally agree on wishing Horizons and the original Figment could come back! Those were special ones when we first took our boys when they were 5 and 7. I especially don't understand why they had to mess with Figment. Loved the Dreamfinder :love: Your daughter has really grown - she's adorable!

PS Sorry about your grandmother. So hard to lose someone during this pandemic. I lost my Mom in May. She was in a nursing home and I was an every day visitor until COVID. She passed suddenly and I wasn't able to go in. Heart breaking.

I'm so so sorry about your grandmother. This is such a hard time to lose a loved one. I can't imagine.

Sorry your last day was so stressful. Little did we know back then......Nice you were able to put off your departure to enjoy the pool, dinner and fireworks. Totally agree on wishing Horizons and the original Figment could come back! Those were special ones when we first took our boys when they were 5 and 7. I especially don't understand why they had to mess with Figment. Loved the Dreamfinder :love: Your daughter has really grown - she's adorable!

Thank you! She gets cuter and crazier every day!

PS Sorry about your grandmother. So hard to lose someone during this pandemic. I lost my Mom in May. She was in a nursing home and I was an every day visitor until COVID. She passed suddenly and I wasn't able to go in. Heart breaking.

Thank you. I'm devastated I didn't get to see her. But I'm glad at least my mom and her brothers were allowed into the hospital to say goodbye. Cases had gone down enough in the area to allow for that. I'm really sorry about your mom.

Following!

Welcome!

I'm so so sorry about your grandmother. This is such a hard time to lose a loved one. I can't imagine.

I am so sorry for you loss.

Thank you both <3

So, I think I'm going to check out the parks this or some near-future weekend. My husband's coworker has been going pretty much every day since they reopened and is texting me constantly to tell me how empty it is. I told him if he makes us a park reservation for a weekend, I'll *think* about going with him. My husband said he'd be okay with me going, but we'll see if I actually follow through with it...I do think it's a good idea for me to go before my planned trip with my dad in October, so I can fairly assess if I think it's safe. Right now I know lots of people who are going, but I feel like as a pretty cautious person I need to see it for myself, otherwise I feel weird just being mad at Disney for opening. If I do go, I'll post about my experience here.

Other than that things are quiet here. I wanted to participate in a vaccine trial, but DH indicated he'd be really uncomfortable with that, so I didn't sign up and I'm regretting it a little. I was excited to be able to play a small role in helping us get back to normal. Anyway, onto the last update!

Day 6, Part 4: See You (Not so) Real Soon...

I forgot to mention a really important detail in the last chapter, probably because I neglected to put it in my notes. One of the reasons I ultimately decided to go back to Epcot for the fireworks was because I snagged a Fastpass for myself and Dad. If Rebekah had come with us, we could have taken advantage of the wheelchair viewing area, but since she wanted to stay in the room, I thought the Fastpass might be a good idea, because we wouldn’t have to scramble for a spot, and we could watch them from somewhere fairly uncrowded and as close as possible to the park exit. I’ve never used a Fastpass for fireworks before, and I can’t say it’s typically a good use of a Fastpass slot, but in this particular case, it was a good move.

We drove to Epcot and parked. I put April in her stroller with the car seat attachment, rather than wearing her like we’d been doing for the majority of the trip. I wanted to be able to keep her as covered as possible, which I did with a receiving blanket. She was a little grumpy, but once we got walking, she calmed down.

We still had some time before we had to check in for our Fastpass, so we took a detour to the Odyssey building, as I hadn’t yet gotten to see the Epcot Experience and I wanted to check it out.

5JJ9wlL.jpg

NYsiGSu.jpg

h5t0sQm.jpg

There were parts of the Epcot renovations I was excited about, and parts I wasn’t. I’m very skeptical of the new fireworks show HarmonioUS, as it doesn’t seem to fit well with the Epcot theme. And while I like Mary Poppins, I wasn’t too sure about the Mary Poppins ride/attraction (which has apparently been scrapped?) since I heard it was going to be themed to the new movie, which I didn’t care for. But I am excited for Ratatouille, the Moana exhibit, and most of the other changes and additions. Overall, I think it’s good that Epcot is getting the refresh it so desperately needs, and I hope they take the time to do it right instead of rushing it on a limited budget with the COVID issues.

We stayed in the model area until the video had gone through one loop. It’s a really neat room with a model that shows you the proposed changes, with projection mapping to highlight the areas as the video covers them. In the other rooms, we saw posters for vintage, existing, and upcoming Epcot attractions, and I had to take a picture of the Cranium Command poster (if you’ve read my September report, you may recall I went as Buzzy for the Halloween party!). I also took a selfie as that’s my favorite theme park attraction ever.

8vzMYiO.jpg

wRJvq3X.jpg

Then it was time to check in for our Fastpass. It took a bit of time to find the right entrance, but soon enough we were in the Fastpass area and had a good spot to view the fireworks.

We had about a half hour until the show was due to start. I took the opportunity to feed April, and rest my feet a bit. It was a pretty spread out area, which was nice.

Soon enough, the show started. I was so happy to get to share April’s first fireworks show with her. I wish it had been Illuminations, but at least it was still in my favorite park. I was worried she would be upset by the fireworks, but she was a real trooper and seemed halfway between indifferent to mildly interested, lol. I think the lights were really interesting to her and she’s never seemed that scared of loud noises. On the 4th of July we had some neighbors setting off fireworks, and our dog was way more scared of them than her.

64yIdHx.jpg

i2jMPew.jpg

B7iDk3d.jpg

Hd03Z5b.jpg

H9qgq9I.jpg

AaJ7OdE.jpg

bzEpSPG.jpg

aK4PCUd.jpg

R0lygFv.jpg

PqKfUyL.jpg

xaBEvuc.jpg

qGcZRFR.jpg

I loved singing along to the songs. Epcot attraction songs are some of my favorite songs that Disney has produced. I routinely sing her the themes from Horizons, Journey Into Imagination, and the Land pavilion at home, but these are songs that don’t get a lot of love from present-day Disney, so to be able to sing them to her during a fireworks show was really, really special. I wish this could be the permanent show but with more impressive effects, because while I loved the soundtrack, I wasn’t really blown away by everything else about the show. The Illuminations fireworks always filled me with such strong emotions with the way the soundtrack and effects came together, and this definitely didn’t elicit the same feelings.

But am I still glad we went? Yes. Absolutely. Definitely worth it, even if just for the extra time in the parks.

Anyway, enough waxing poetic. The show ended and we started to shuffle out. One thing I dislike about basically any nighttime show at Disney is how long it takes to exit the park after, and with the added construction projects at Epcot, it seemed to take an eternity to get out. I was glad we took the stroller for April, since it seemed to afford us a bit of extra space to move through the crowd without rubbing too many elbows. For those of you who haven’t been to Epcot since construction started, there is basically no option to just walk straight from the World Showcase Lagoon to Spaceship Earth and then the exit. It’s a crazy maze of construction walls, and you’re never quite sure how far you are from the end, especially with all the other people around you.

During the walk, Dad and I discussed his planned trip for the end of April. He was going to attend a conference in Orlando the same weekend that I was going to be running the Star Wars half (which I had done zero training for thus far). He was also planning on bringing my uncle, who has not visited me in Florida since I moved here 10 years ago. Something always seems to come up that he can’t come down, but now finally he had confirmed tickets and plans. The plan was for me to hang out with my uncle on weekday evenings while my dad was still in the conference, and then on the weekend I would stay over in their hotel room and they would watch April while I ran the half.

Well, spoilers, but none of that ended up happening, of course. The half marathon and the conference both got cancelled, as did their flights. So my uncle still has not come to visit me in Florida. I almost think he engineered the pandemic to avoid traveling, lol. But I will say once I realized that the race was probably going to be cancelled, I lost all motivation to train for it. So I guess it’s good, for me at least, that it didn’t happen. I don’t know what I was thinking when I signed up, and I think my dad and uncle would have been pretty miserable watching April that early, because she was still not sleeping independently by the end of April (she is now though, thank goodness!). I would really like to run it one day, though. I’m not the biggest Star Wars fan but the course looks really cool.

Anyway, we finally made it out of the park, to the parking lot, and back to my car. I loaded April into her car seat and we said our goodbyes. It wasn’t too emotional, as we still thought we would see each other the following month. Ugh!

After that, Dad headed back to the front of the park to take the monorail over to the Poly, and I went home. On my way, I picked up some Taco Bell for me and DH, since he hadn’t eaten dinner at all and I was still hungry after dinner at Kona several hours before. Soon after I got home, DH did too, and we had a nice reunion.

mN2A6ke.jpg

I have to admit, even though it was a hard decision to cut my trip short by an evening, it was the right call. It was nice to come home around the same time DH got done with work and just spend the evening together as a family, instead of hustling to get everything in the car come morning. I kept in touch with Dad and Rebekah until they went to bed and again the next morning when they left to make sure they got home safely.

And with that, another Disney trip is in the books. Wow!

I’ll make one final post to wrap-up with my thoughts and talk about our tentative plans for the fall trip as they currently stand. And if any other major changes to that trip are made, I’ll post it here instead of starting a whole new thread, since I don’t think I have enough info to warrant a whole PTR.

Although you had to cut it short, it was a nice ending to your trip. I hope you post something here if you do a scouting trip. Maybe by October things will be running smoothly at Disney and they'll have the kinks worked out. We have a trip starting Sept. 8 but I've decided to call and try to move it until early next year. My DH isn't too excited about going in Sept. Thanks for sharing your trip - I'll be watching for your wrap up!

Although you had to cut it short, it was a nice ending to your trip. I hope you post something here if you do a scouting trip. Maybe by October things will be running smoothly at Disney and they'll have the kinks worked out. We have a trip starting Sept. 8 but I've decided to call and try to move it until early next year. My DH isn't too excited about going in Sept. Thanks for sharing your trip - I'll be watching for your wrap up!

I don't blame you for cancelling. September feels so much closer than late October. It's also way hotter. I usually avoid the parks during the summer under normal circumstances. Blech.

Thank you for the trip report. April is such a cute little princess. I was there either towards the end of your trip or just after you (3/6-3/13), and each day the news was just getting worse and worse. I have already pulled the plug on our September trip (DVC and had to bank by 7/31) and I know it was the right decision. I am local to Disneyland and am actually kind of relieved that it has not yet opened as it takes the temptation to go away and I really am not sure it is safe yet. Will be interested to hear what you think if you do go over to WDW one day soon.

Thank you for the trip report. April is such a cute little princess. I was there either towards the end of your trip or just after you (3/6-3/13), and each day the news was just getting worse and worse. I have already pulled the plug on our September trip (DVC and had to bank by 7/31) and I know it was the right decision. I am local to Disneyland and am actually kind of relieved that it has not yet opened as it takes the temptation to go away and I really am not sure it is safe yet. Will be interested to hear what you think if you do go over to WDW one day soon.

Thanks for following! We left a few days before you (March 3rd). Looking back, those last few days before everything shut down were so surreal, with information changing by the hour. I also kind of wish WDW wasn't open as it's really painful to not be there, but I've been watching the news carefully and so far it looks like no outbreaks have been linked to the parks, which is good at least. I have a lot of people telling me, "It's safer than going to the grocery store!" Which I do believe, but I have to go to the grocery store. I don't have to go to Disney...

Thanks for following! We left a few days before you (March 3rd). Looking back, those last few days before everything shut down were so surreal, with information changing by the hour. I also kind of wish WDW wasn't open as it's really painful to not be there, but I've been watching the news carefully and so far it looks like no outbreaks have been linked to the parks, which is good at least. I have a lot of people telling me, "It's safer than going to the grocery store!" Which I do believe, but I have to go to the grocery store. I don't have to go to Disney...

I have heard the grocery store (or Target or Costco) comment a lot of times. And I agree - I have to go to those places. I do not have to go to Disney.

Final Thoughts and Next Plans

Thank you so much for following along on this report. It feels so strange to finally be done! This was a whirlwind trip that was definitely different than any other trip I’ve taken. I had a lot of people, both on the boards and in real life, who told me I shouldn’t make this trip with a baby this young. In the end, I didn’t decide to do it because I thought I knew better than them. I knew very well that it might be a disaster. But it was the only time that worked out for my family to visit and now with the benefit of hindsight, I’m certainly glad we took advantage of our normal time in Disney while we could.

If someone were to ask me if they should also go to Disney World with a newborn, I’m not going to tell them no. I wouldn’t say it’s a stupid decision by any means. She was much more docile and calm than she is even now a few months later, so that made touring with her pretty easy, as she was generally either sleeping or eating, and didn’t even cry that much. But the answer isn’t a definitive “yes,” either. You have to know yourself, your family, your baby, and your touring habits. It definitely helped that I was local and that I’m a DVC member so we didn’t feel pressure to get everything done.

Working against us was the fact that well, it’s not easy to travel with a baby. Even if they’re new and pretty docile like April was, they still need a lot of stuff and can get fussy. To me, the biggest issue was space. We crammed three adults and one baby into a studio at the Polynesian. We thought it would be enough room. It was not. Our room was so messy that not only was it embarrassing, it made it feel less like a vacation. Adding to that is the fact that while I love the Polynesian, the rooms are pretty dark in terms of color pallet. I think if we had been in a brighter-colored room, maybe we wouldn’t have felt so cramped. April actually slept in bed with me at the time (I know that’s against safety recommendations, but it was the only way she slept unfortunately. She now sleeps in her own crib), so we didn’t need to contend with a pack n’ play, but I literally don’t know how we would have done it.

BUT as you saw, that didn’t meant that we didn’t have a wonderful time. Introducing April to Disney World is definitely one of the highlights of my first year as a mom. I’m glad we went. We made some amazing memories that I will cherish forever.

If you’re thinking about bringing a newborn to Disney World, here are my random thoughts on things that might make your trip a bit easier, just going off my own experiences, in no particular order.

• BRING ALL THE CLOTHES. Seriously. Even though it got messy, I was glad to not have to do laundry, and there were some days where she went through three or more outfits.
  • If you have a portable changing pad, bring it. Even better, get two. One for the parks, and one for the room. I set up a little changing station in the larger bathroom of our studio. It wasn’t ideal, as I had to crouch on the floor to change April, but it got the job done. The only problem was, sometimes I would forget to put the pad in my diaper backpack before we left for the park, and it’s no fun to change the baby right on a park bathroom changing table.
  • Take advantage of the Baby Care Centers. They are there for you, no matter how you feed your baby. But with that in mind…
  • If you are nursing and not comfortable with feeding in public, you’re going to have a more difficult time. I’m not saying you’re wrong to not be comfortable. I certainly understand and appreciate any level of comfort! But with only one Baby Care Center per park, the fact is that your baby will not always want to eat at a convenient time, and you will not necessarily be near a Baby Care Center when it happens. I found once I dealt with the frustration of trying to use a cover, I stopped giving a you-know-what about what others thought of me, and just fed April as needed.
  • Be flexible. Make as few unchangeable plans as possible. Don’t make it your goal to get everything done, even if you don’t know when or if you’re going to be back. I know that’s big talk coming from me, but I have met so many people who tell me they went to Disney once, hated it because they tried to cram everything into one vacation, and have no interest in going back. And that’s without a little newborn! I would argue it’s a bigger waste of your money to set yourself up for a touring style that’s going to leave you miserable and stressed. I had in my head a list of the things I wanted to make sure I got done (meet Snow White, teatime with Rebekah, visit to Trader Sam’s, go on Small World), and everything else was just gravy. It made things much easier.
  • Get as big of a room as you can, with colors as bright as you can. I am a die-hard Polynesian fangirl, but I have to admit, I don’t think a studio was our best bet, for the reasons mentioned above. I tried unsuccessfully to convince my dad to let us rent a one bedroom at another hotel, but if you can swing it financially, I would highly recommend a larger room than a studio or standard hotel room.
  • Don’t use Amazon grocery delivery. Apparently they have all sorts of known issues and we encountered some of them, as I mentioned at the beginning of my report. I’ve heard good things about Garden Grocer, and will likely be trying them next time instead.
  • Practice wearing your baby before the trip, if you intend to baby wear. Have several family members practice, if possible. I had to show my dad how to wear April in the park, and while it wasn’t avoidable, if it had been it would have made things much easier.
  • If you intend to use a stroller, get to know it well before your trip. How to fold it, how to unfold it. Made life much easier that we could do so quickly.
  • Soak it all in. Take as many pictures as possible. The time really does go by so, so fast.

So, with all that, what next? Honestly, these days, anything beyond a few days in the future looks murky. Right now we still have plans for my dad to come down at the end of October and to stay at the Riviera, and as of yet I don’t see a reason to cancel them. If the trip were today, I would not go, but who knows what things will look like by then? With no fastpasses or ADR’s to make, and with flights cheap enough that he doesn’t feel pressure to purchase yet, there doesn’t seem to be anything to do right now except wait and see. I certainly hope we can make it work. I may end up going but not staying in the hotel, which would almost certainly mean I’d spend less time because the drive every day would be horrible.

At this point, I would feel comfortable going to the parks in general. It sounds like Disney is taking all possible precautions and crowds are low, based on reports I am hearing from others, including a friend who is going very frequently so he has a good sample to work with. Am I thrilled that the parks are open? No, I don’t think it was the best idea. I wish instead, our government had stepped up to support the out-of-work cast members and other people in our community so we could have stayed home and quashed this thing earlier. But we didn’t, and I’m tired of being angry about it. I feel conflicted, morally, about going, but I’m also tired of hiding at home when the health risk of Disney seems relatively low compared even to things like hanging out with family members who are not taking this seriously.

The bigger issues keeping me away are the weather (it’s soooo gross and hot, and when it’s not it’s raining cats and dogs), and the fact that I’m back at work and am working at my home office until 5:30 pm every day. I’m not going to take PTO for a day at Disney, and weekends are normally my time with DH since he works during the week. I’m open to going on a weekend, but not by myself (or rather, with just me and April), so I’m waiting to see if our friend will want to go with me. He’s had some personal things come up that have made him not want to go as much, but hopefully when that passes he’ll want to go again. I don’t think it would be a travesty if I didn’t go back until October, but I’d like to at least check things out.

Anyway, if things do go as planned, we will be at the Riviera in a preferred view studio Oct 28-Nov 3. Since the trip overlaps with Halloween, if trick or treating does happen here as expected, Dad and I might drive back to my neighborhood on Halloween so we can all take April on her first trick or treating outing. I will be disappointed but not devastated if Halloween doesn’t work out for us this year, since she will likely just be carried around in a costume looking confused, haha. But in general it’ll be sad if we can’t do Halloween. SO WEAR YOUR MASKS, EVERYONE!

So keep your fingers crossed for us for fall! In the meantime, DH and I are just enjoying what might be the cutest baby in the world, who keeps getting cuter every day. She was basically still a fetus during our trip, and just look at her now! She almost crawling, already pulling up on everything, and loves babbling. So excited to continue cultivating her love of Disney, and can’t wait until we’re on the other side of this pandemic. Before I close this out, here are some more recent pictures of April, my now seven month old, so you can be amazed at just how much she’s grown in just a few short months. Who knew babies did that!

K7qL0K1.jpg

C9scrBm.jpg

xJVRgfn.jpg

aiPorHw.jpg

I’ll come back to this thread whenever I have anything interesting to report about my own journeys to Disney or updates to our fall trip, or if anything else interesting happens. I want to thank you so much for following along with this unique trip report, and I hope you will enjoy me for future adventures!

Until next time, my friends!

Thanks for the report! I'm due in December and as of now, we're planning to take him in February so I'm soaking up all the possible newborn tips!

Thanks for the report! I'm due in December and as of now, we're planning to take him in February so I'm soaking up all the possible newborn tips!

How exciting for you! Congrats. You'll have to report back with your own experiences. I think with the right attitude, Disney is magical under pretty much any circumstance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter