Donate Expiring Points

chip1

Proud Owner of 400 BCV Points!!
I have some BCV pts expiring soon. Is there a way to donate to a charity, i.e. Make a Wish, etc.? If so, can someone please tell me how to do this. Thanks!

I have some BCV pts expiring soon. Is there a way to donate to a charity, i.e. Make a Wish, etc.? If so, can someone please tell me how to do this. Thanks!

I would love it if something like this existed - especially if there was an organization that granted wish-type trips to critically ill adults. My DD's godmother's wish was to visit Disney and she was able to go there (family piad for it) a few months before she died. It would be great if there was a way to donate points to a place that made trips like hers possible for those without the means to afford them.

It is my understanding that you may be able to donate a booked reservation (not "points") but keep in mind the IRS offers no tax benefits to doing this. The tax benefit only is available if you actually donate your ownership in DVC to charity.

You might want to look into transfering them to an existing member. You are only allowed one transfer per year however. Visit our Rent/Trade Board for more info.

There is a wonderful charity in Orlando called "Give Kids The World." They provide Disney vacations for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families. I've helped make some arrangements for families with them through a police charity here in Miami, and they are an amazing group of people. Their website is www.gktw.org

You can't donate points or a ressie for the kids, because Give Kids The World is a residential facility and they provide lodging and many other services for their beneficiaries. Many of their clients have special medical needs and would not be able to stay in a regular resort without medical support.

However, there are two things you could do. One, you could offer to make a ressie for Give Kids the World. They would use it as a reward for one of their many volunteers. As Carol pointed out, that would not be tax-deductible.

Or, you could offer the points for rent and donate the proceeds of the rental to Give Kids the World (or any other charity of your choice) as a cash donation. Depending on your circumstances, that donation could be tax deductible.

:thumbsup2 that would be a great idea...I would donate my pts that would expire even without the tax benifit...also donate some that arent...just because.

[QUOTE="Got Disney";19507505]:thumbsup2 that would be a great idea...I would donate my pts that would expire even without the tax benifit...also donate some that arent...just because.[/QUOTE]
Just to clarify one thing -- you can't donate points, any more than you can give points or sell points to a non-member. Points have no value at all to a non-member because they can't use them.

If you want to donate something, you will have to make an actual reservation, and then give the person/organization access to that. But you will have to make all their arrangements -- MS will not talk to them.

Thanks everyone. I cannot transfer because of the one/year rule. I just can't stand to see the points just go away and not be used. I don't have a lot of time to decide. I appreciate very much all your help, Pam

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter