Don't Wanna Be "That Guy"

SorcererHeidi

Sorcerer please cast forever love spell for me
Just finished watching this week''s Tuesday show last night, and it got me to thinking. The way Pete and Kevin were describing their thoughts/feelings about the Star Wars Hotel (and yes - I'm saying it that way, 'cause I can't, and don't want to remember the name Disney wants you to use for it, which was also mentioned) :jester: is the same way I feel (more on Kevin's apathy side, since Pete does have some interest to experience it, but does not want to be asked to "cos play" while there).

It also strongly reminds me of the way I felt, and still feel, about the Adventurer's Club on Pleasure Island. Described pretty perfectly my feelings about it.

I could take the place in small doses, but had to be "in the mood for it" (as Corey said he felt about the new hotel/role playing) to spend more than say half an hour there at a time, but did not want to be involved, and immersed, in the whole back story and whole "altered realism" of the place each and every single time I went there. I also found out several years later the reason The Colonel picked on me so much every time I went there is that a friend who knew an actor there asked him to pick on me being from New Jersey every time I went there. Funny sometimes, but not. Every. Single Time. Always.

I loved to see my friends having fun, and never begrudged anyone their delight and experiences in the place, it just wan't the same for me. I remember actually having a frustrated - shall we call it an "animated discussion" (yeah, let's do!) LOL - one night with an actor at the AC. I was NOT feeling it, and this actor KEPT getting in my FACE, and trying to get me to play along - again, and again, and again, while I was letting him know by my increasing tone of voice and actions that I was NOT the one that night. I started out TRYING to be nice, but after being approached and followed several times, I was getting highly irritated. Read the room, buddy!! He WAS making people nearby laugh (including some of my friends, who I had come to spend some time with), I will admit, but I was getting extremely annoyed. When I expressed that "go play with somebody who thinks this STUFF (yeah, let's call it STUFF!!) is for real", the actor looked down his nose at ma, and said, haughtily, "Young lady, this IS for real, what's wrong with YOU?" Yes, he was playing the part of Graves, the butler, so the haughty tone was right in character, but totally WRONG with somebody who does NOT want to play with you.

I chose to leave, rather than to get into an argument with a person paid to do a job, but was doing it all too poorly - or totally overdoing it, as the case may be. He caught me on a bad day, but also "poked the bear" when he should have been able to figure out that was NOT the day, I was NOT the one, and to back off. But - as was mentioned on the show - I also did not want to ruin anyone else's experience that night, or at other times at the AC. I went mostly to spend time with my friends, as many of them opened, and closed the AC every single night of our vacations together. That was the case with my ex too, which was totally fine. When it became too much for me, I'd leave and go spend time at another venue, or just hangin' out, chillin' to the Fun Meister's tunes in the street, and people watching.

So - I really related to not wanting to be "that guy that ruins it for everyone else" that was discussed on the show. It also made me realize how badly I miss Pleasure Island. Even the AC. Just a little bit. :o

Anybody else have friends/spouses/partners they think might be much more "into" the Star Wars experiences/hotel than they are? Guess this is kind of like the "avoid a Disney divorce" article being discussed in another thread.

Just because I'm totally into something, doesn't mean I think everybody else, even my friends and S/O should be, nor do I want to take away from their enjoyment of what makes them happy, or how they choose to spend their time, especially on vacation.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I love Star Wars BUT even I have no interest in cosplaying while there. From what I had read so far about the hotel that it was pretty immersive which made me wonder if you were allowed to go to other parks while also experiencing the hotel.

Maybe once people start to experience it more will come to light but as of right now - aside from the price - I'm not sure it's the thing for me.

The idea for the Star Wars hotel....ahem...not a hotel is very interesting to me. I do wonder what things will be like when it first opens and what changes/adjustments they will be making due to guest feedback as I don't think guests will be wanting the same exact things that Disney is trying to offer.

Neither of us are into Star Wars so the hotel doesn't appeal to us. And I'm quite sure that even if we were, the price would keep us away.

I'm really curious to see if they have any option for just visiting the hotel to check it out. Obviously, that could mess with the whole immersion and role play thing but at the same time, are people going to just blindly put up thousands of dollars to stay there? They will at first, but how deep is that pool. Not many people buy a car without a test drive. I realize there will be a zillion YouTube videos once the place is open but even though I don't ever plan to stay there, I would love to go over one day and see the place. If they don't do that, it would be a first for sure. I'm not aware of any other hotels that the public can't walk into. You may not have access to everything but you can at least get into the lobby and public areas, restaurants, gift shop, etc.

I do wonder what things will be like when it first opens and what changes/adjustments they will be making due to guest feedback as I don't think guests will be wanting the same exact things that Disney is trying to offer.
Just look at Galaxy's Edge. They've already modified that experience in a variety of ways to make it more appealing to the average guest. The hotel is a bit different and aimed at a more devoted fan base, but again, how deep is that pool? Can they do super 100% immersion for years or will they need to lighten up to keep filling the place after a year or two?

I also wonder about the vloggers as I believed they mentioned on the show as that's such a MASSIVE thing these days.

The more conversation I hear about the hotel experience, the more curious I am about how the guests will respond to the immersion of it, and how cast members will handle the variety of personalities.

I know plenty of people who are huge Star Wars fans, and geek out over the franchise, but I can only think of one person (in my life) who would be likely to, at least, play along with the role playing.

It takes a unique person to jump into the deep end of that pool. Most of us fall along a spectrum of participation. I would be embarrassingly awkward if I had to roleplay, and would prefer if nobody acknowledged my lack of commitment. LOL I don't want a cast member to try to "get me out of my shell", I'm not secretly hoping a more outgoing person would take me under their wing, I genuinely want to be there without having to get into character. If you make me feel bad than I'm going to get upset. And, I think that there are more adults with a variation of my personality than not.
It'll be interesting to see how they're trained to handle us.

It takes a unique person to jump into the deep end of that pool. Most of us fall along a spectrum of participation.
Which is exactly what Disney quickly discovered in Galaxy's Edge. Some people are really into it and the made up language and lingo and role playing and others just want to see the sites, ride the rides, and maybe get a drink or a bite to eat.

Maybe I'm wrong - time will tell - but even if the hotel only has 175 rooms, I don't they are going to be able to sell the full immersion thing to enough people on an ongoing basis to keep it up for very long. Plus the CM training they'll need to maintain will be tremendous. I don't think the whole thing sounds sustainable.

The Adventurers Club sounds like one of the circles of hell to me. I never went and never wanted to. I hate that role playing type environment. I cannot suspend disbelief well enough to get "on board."

This Star Wars hotel holds NO appeal to me because of the nature of structured time/activities. I do not like doing things on someone else's schedule. So, it's a no from me.

I would love to participate in an immersion type experience but things like Star Wars and the (departed) Adventurers Club aren’t my thing. But I know if it were something I’m into, I’d have a blast.

From what I had read so far about the hotel that it was pretty immersive which made me wonder if you were allowed to go to other parks while also experiencing the hotel.
I doubt Disney would stop you from going to other parks but with it only being 2 nights and the amount of money it will cost, the die hard Star Wars fan will probably elect to stay and just do Galaxies Edge. I know we will. If you do go to another park it will take the whole idea of being in space and turn it into "just another ride". I for one am looking forward to playing the role, especially if they let me be First Order :)

I am not a Star Wars fan but this experience DOES appeal to me.

I live for experiences rather than things. A perfect example is that I wanted to do Savi’s Workshop but had no interest having a lightsaber sitting on my shelf afterwards.

Fortunately for me, I had a friend who wanted the lightsaber but had no plans to visit Disney. So, I got the immersive experience at Savi’s while he paid and kept the lightsaber. (Pete from The Dis is admittedly a “things” guy and I believe he paid for Craig to build him a lightsaber too).

I also get off on those murder mystery dinners where you play a character for a night. So, I am on board for the Star Wars hotel.

I’ve felt this way for a while now, but I think people are severely underestimating the community of diehard fans who are going to be all over this experience. It’s an easy thing to do, admittedly, if you’re not plugged in to capital F-fandom. I’m a veteran cosplayer of 20+ years, since way before the hobby was mainstream, and have RP’d for even longer than that. If you walk into a convention full of nerds right now—not even a Star Wars specific convention—and ask them if they’re interested in being fully immersed in a SW experience for 3 days complete with RP and possibly cosplay, you’d have to beat them off with sticks. I’m one of them and signed up for the emails ASAP.

The real question imo is not “are there enough people to sustain this kind of immersion model”, but “are there enough people who are going to be able to afford the price point Disney will put this at?” And I’m very iffy on that. Which means either the price has to come down, or the experience has to. I really hope it’s the former but I don’t have much hope of that. Regardless I think it’s an incredibly ambitious project and I really hope it succeeds, not just as a lifelong Star Wars fangirl, but because it would mean potentially looking at more out of the box concepts in imagineering and storytelling.

Neither of us are into Star Wars so the hotel doesn't appeal to us. And I'm quite sure that even if we were, the price would keep us away.

I'm really curious to see if they have any option for just visiting the hotel to check it out. Obviously, that could mess with the whole immersion and role play thing but at the same time, are people going to just blindly put up thousands of dollars to stay there? They will at first, but how deep is that pool. Not many people buy a car without a test drive. I realize there will be a zillion YouTube videos once the place is open but even though I don't ever plan to stay there, I would love to go over one day and see the place. If they don't do that, it would be a first for sure. I'm not aware of any other hotels that the public can't walk into. You may not have access to everything but you can at least get into the lobby and public areas, restaurants, gift shop, etc.
Was totally wondering this myself, @disneysteve . Seems kind of counterintuitive to me to not let people have some sort of access, from a marketing standpoint.

I know I would have no interest in going there, personally, but that's just me. I'll stay ion the shallow end of the Star Wars pool. ;)

The more conversation I hear about the hotel experience, the more curious I am about how the guests will respond to the immersion of it, and how cast members will handle the variety of personalities.

I know plenty of people who are huge Star Wars fans, and geek out over the franchise, but I can only think of one person (in my life) who would be likely to, at least, play along with the role playing.

It takes a unique person to jump into the deep end of that pool. Most of us fall along a spectrum of participation. I would be embarrassingly awkward if I had to roleplay, and would prefer if nobody acknowledged my lack of commitment. LOL I don't want a cast member to try to "get me out of my shell", I'm not secretly hoping a more outgoing person would take me under their wing,ey're trained to handle us.
I genuinely want to be there without having to get into character. If you make me feel bad than I'm going to get upset. And, I think that there are more adults with a variation of my personality than not.

TOTALLY agree, and VERY well said, @loblolly - EXACTLY what;/how I felt in the situation I described that happened at the AC, above!!

The Adventurers Club sounds like one of the circles of hell to me. I never went and never wanted to. I hate that role playing type environment. I cannot suspend disbelief well enough to get "on board."

This Star Wars hotel holds NO appeal to me because of the nature of structured time/activities. I do not like doing things on someone else's schedule. So, it's a no from me.
Just had a huge laugh at your "circles of hell" descrption, @DLgal - thank you, it was MUCH needed!! (Still chuckling as i write this)

I am not a Star Wars fan but this experience DOES appeal to me.

I live for experiences rather than things. A perfect example is that I wanted to do Savi’s Workshop but had no interest having a lightsaber sitting on my shelf afterwards.

Fortunately for me, I had a friend who wanted the lightsaber but had no plans to visit Disney. So, I got the immersive experience at Savi’s while he paid and kept the lightsaber. (Pete from The Dis is admittedly a “things” guy and I believe he paid for Craig to build him a lightsaber too).

I also get off on those murder mystery dinners where you play a character for a night. So, I am on board for the Star Wars hotel.
This is a great perspective. In some ways, I'm the same way. I may want the experience but not the "stuff". However, that often makes the price point prohibitive. As I said, I'd love to go over and see and explore the Star Wars hotel, take pictures, get a drink, have a meal... but there's no way we would ever spend the money to stay there. Doing the wand experience at Ollivanders at Universal would be cool but I don't need or want to own the wand so I wouldn't spend the money to do it. If I could pay a nominal fee to go through the show and walk away when I'm done without a wand, that would be perfect.

To be perfectly honest, my guess is the immersion factor is much less than advertised in practice. Right or wrong, I’m assuming they are over promising to begin with.

That aside, I think they’re going to have to be able to account for people who aren’t going to be playing along. By the nature of this being an experience over the span of a couple days, you’re going to have less enthusiastic fans or people who aren’t fans at all there with their friends and family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter