Double Stroller Vs. Buggy Board?

Baduist

Mouseketeer
We're visiting with a 2.5 year old & a 6 months old, and just bought a double stroller (Maclaren Techno), but we really don't like it - It's wide, heavy, hard to maneuver & requires both hands on it at all times :)). Not ideal for a stroll with a Starbucks cup or using the WDW app while walking.

We're considering taking our regular Bugaboo stroller which we love, with a buggy board for the toddler to seat on, which he loves at home.

However, I'm worried that with the long hours in the park, the seat with no back support will take a toll on him, and also, he won't be able to nap while we stroll around.

We're staying at the Polynesian and plan on a long nap break every day, but still...

Thoughts?

Did anyone rely on a buggy board for a toddler and can report if they can handle it for long durations?

Also, we were thinking another advantage of the single stroller + buggy would be that we can always rent a double stroller if we feel like it's a better solution - but I saw a picture of the double strollers offered and it doesn't seem like it would fit a 6 months old.

Am I Wrong?

I can’t speak to the board, but I don’t think the strollers that Disney rents would be good for a 6 month old at all. However, look into renting from Kingdom Strollers. They rent city mini doubles that would be perfect for your situation. They’re super comfy for the kids and are narrow (for a double) and are the easiest strollers to push.
Best of luck!

I’ll move you to the Families Board where you’ll receive more replies. :)

We're visiting with a 2.5 year old & a 6 months old, and just bought a double stroller (Maclaren Techno), but we really don't like it - It's wide, heavy, hard to maneuver & requires both hands on it at all times :)). Not ideal for a stroll with a Starbucks cup or using the WDW app while walking.

We're considering taking our regular Bugaboo stroller which we love, with a buggy board for the toddler to seat on, which he loves at home.

However, I'm worried that with the long hours in the park, the seat with no back support will take a toll on him, and also, he won't be able to nap while we stroll around.

We're staying at the Polynesian and plan on a long nap break every day, but still...

Thoughts?

Did anyone rely on a buggy board for a toddler and can report if they can handle it for long durations?
what would happen if your toddler falls asleep on way back to room? is it safe for him to be on buggy board asleep or is one of you going to have to carry him back to room? remember there is no way to walk to Poly without taking either monorail to resort or ferry to TTC and walking to your room from either. getting back to room is a lot different than just putting to bed at home. will either of your kids go back to sleep if they fall asleep on way to resort? we had very bad time with this and ended up just letting him sleep in stroller as he screamed so loud he was hearable at other end of hall after falling asleep for 5 minutes on way back to resort. so tired bit would not go back to sleep until crashed in middle of dinner

They rent city mini doubles that would be perfect for your situation. They’re super comfy for the kids and are narrow (for a double) and are the easiest strollers to push.
Best of luck!
Do you know by any chance if the city mini can be pushed with one hand? Also, is there

what would happen if your toddler falls asleep on way back to room? is it safe for him to be on buggy board asleep or is one of you going to have to carry him back to room?

He can't sleep on the board. We'll either have to carry him (I'm able to carry him for about an hour nonstop), or put the other baby in a carrier and put him in the stroller.

This is what it looks like btw:
kleine-dreumes-kid-sit-wheel-board-and-seat.jpg

I will be upfront and tell you that I only have 1 child and she is 5. However looking at the picture you posted above, I don't see how that would work at Disney. My daughter crashes when we are at Disney, especially later in the trip. I can't tell you the number of times she has fallen asleep in the carriage whereas at home we don't even use a stroller. Unless you plan on carrying the baby a lot, I would suggest you take the other posters advice and rent a double single mini. I have rented a single and it was a breeze to push so I am assuming the double would be the same. A couple of other things to keep in mind having to do with the strollers in the parks....1) they're hard plastic so they're not that comfortable, and 2) you can only use them in the parks so at the end of the night you would have to be carrying someone.

Do you know by any chance if the city mini can be pushed with one hand? Also, is there

He can't sleep on the board. We'll either have to carry him (I'm able to carry him for about an hour nonstop), or put the other baby in a carrier and put him in the stroller.

the one thing with renting the double you will not have younger one facing you. we rented a double on trip with daughter and grandkids. older one was 4.5 stroller was very easy to push and fold. you say you can carry for an hour but is he awake or asleep, I know I found it a lot harder carrying a sleeping child. you wouldn't think it would be different I sure found it harder to carry a sleeping child

Will you baby wear the 6 month old? If so I honk the single is fine, the 2.5 year old can go in the stroller and you can baby wear the 6 month old. At that age DD loved to be worn facing in and out.

Yes it’s a bit hot depending when your going and what carrier you have. But it’s a great option if you go with the single stroller.

Yes, on city mini being pushed by 1 hand. We have 3 kids (currently ages 3 and under) and use a double City (side by side) jogger with a glider board. It is an awesome stroller and I can mostly manuever it with one hand, though the glider on that does sometimes cause me to walk super awkwardly when my oldest is on it. Then again we also have a Bob (single) and I find that Bobs trump everything in terms of manuevaribility. On short walks at home (2 miles-ish, or less), our 3 year old walks, our middle one rides in the Bob footwell and the baby rides in the regular part of the Bob. On longer walks, we take the double and the older one hops on the glider when tired (she can also sometimes sit criss cross on there if she really wants to sit).

We'll be bringing our city double to Disney next spring, probably with the glider board, but either way, I'd HIGHLY recommend keeping the carrier on hand. On our disneyland trip last year, we used it tons because we'd go check out several things in between going back to the stroller. It was also clutch for our little one in lines (he was 11.5 months)

We rented a double stroller last yr w/ the 2 & 5 yr old. I was def. worried about my coffee holding but found that my husband could be in charge while I enjoyed my drink. Not sure if you're going it alone or not. My husband didn't seem to have an issue going 1 handed w/ the stroller when needed. We rented the double stroller mini gt. Orlando Stroller rentals delivers to the hotel and doesn't need you to be present when delivering or picking up. Bell services can take care of that. That is not the case with all stroller rental companies. I believe they are the only ones allowed to drop off strollers w/ bell services. Just something to consider.

That doesn't look like it would be comfortable for very long. And your son may get frustrated not being able to see what is going on very well. I'd rent a double stroller.

I would not do the Buggy board. What we have done when we had kids in stroller range is 2 umbrella strollers, 100,000 times easier to maneuver in crowds and both kids could sleep. If I were taking a 6 month old though I would bring a good solid stroller that can lay flat for her, not an umbrella.

When my older two were little, I’d go to DL alone with them for a couple of hours. I had something similar, a stroller with a stand/sit bench for the older one on the back. Even at 3 my oldest got tired of siting on it after a while and wanted to lean back, causing some fighting. I would end up switching the baby to a carrier and wear her to give the older a break. So that’s another option, but I wouldn’t count on it for long days.

Also FWIW I’ve tried a City Mini more than once and never liked it. A family member has one, they feel bulky and cumbersome at the parks to me, especially when you have to fold and carry.

I would not feel safe putting a 6 month old in a WDW rental stroller either, I don’t think they have the neck/back strength for it and they are hard plastic shells so they probably won’t be happy about it!

Thanks everybody! We took the Maclaren double stroller, and we might try to rent the City Mini to see if it's more comfortable.

Hopefully we'll be able to get to WDW tomorrow, atm stranded in JFK due to the storm wraning

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter