Drinking round the world

Emmafleur

Mouseketeer
Hi, this has probably been asked a lot and I've had a quick search but I'd really like a Brits opinion on this.
We're going to WDW next August for two weeks - myself, my three grown up children and my sons girlfriend. Baby daughter will turn 21 in June so for the first time we can all drink! The kids want to do the Drinking round the World challenge at Epcot but I'm a bit worried that they'll get drunk and silly. Has anyone done this drinking game at Epcot? My kids keep reassuring me that they won't be bladdered after 11 drinks but I'm having images of sick and rowdiness and getting kicked out of Disney I'm sure we won't but I'm after some advice about how to go about it sensibly
Thanks

Not a Brit but have done it with my son and his ex-wife. We stuck with beer and bought one beer and shared it between the three of us and drank water in between. We walked around while drinking so didn't just get one after another, it took all afternoon and into the night. We also did snacks around the world at the same time, again buying one and sharing it between the three of us so there was always food in our stomach. Haven't done it with the mixed drinks but have done all the wine tastings, again making sure to share, drink water and nibble on food and not just throw the drinks back then go for another right after.

Not a Brit but have done it with my son and his ex-wife. We stuck with beer and bought one beer and shared it between the three of us and drank water in between. We walked around while drinking so didn't just get one after another, it took all afternoon and into the night. We also did snacks around the world at the same time, again buying one and sharing it between the three of us so there was always food in our stomach. Haven't done it with the mixed drinks but have done all the wine tastings, again making sure to share, drink water and nibble on food and not just throw the drinks back then go for another right after.

Thanks. My kids aren't really into sharing, especially not their drinks. And they really fancy trying the different drinks specific to each country rather than just doing beers. We're going to stop half way round, I think, and have a meal (maybe Via Napoli) so hopefully that should soak up some of the alcohol

I'm not sure where you're from and if you've been to Florida in summer before but it will be crazy hot so alcohol will dehydrate even more than normal plus the different drinks will mean mixing types of alcohol which is never a great plan. Maybe suggest alternating between a drink and a snack as you move around the world so by the time you get to one side you'll be 6 drinks/snacks in and see how people feel and then possibly head back for the countries you missed.

Might be a compromise to see how everyone is going...

I'm not sure where you're from and if you've been to Florida in summer before but it will be crazy hot so alcohol will dehydrate even more than normal plus the different drinks will mean mixing types of alcohol which is never a great plan. Maybe suggest alternating between a drink and a snack as you move around the world so by the time you get to one side you'll be 6 drinks/snacks in and see how people feel and then possibly head back for the countries you missed.

Might be a compromise to see how everyone is going...

Thanks. Yes, we went to WDW in August a few years back so we know how hot it is. I really want to snack, drink, snack etc so I'm kind of hoping that after a few drinks the kids will agree. I'm from the UK. Going back to missed out countries is a really good idea. Thank you

There's another drinking experience option, where you buy 6 glasses of wine and get a certificate which is stamped each time you get the wine. The wines are given out in France , Italy and Germany. Each time you go they will explain the choices and it's a good tasting experience. You don't have to have all the wines on the same day.

Go to France Germany or Italy and ask and they will explain the process. We've been going many many years and only found out about it last year.

11 drinks sounds like a lot, and I like a drink ;)

I'm usually exhausted after three, and the champagne flutes can only be described as thimble sized...

But good luck! At least you can tell your kids they've had enough and don't have to finish all 11...

You are having a " ball " on the Drinking Game ..... & who cares what other guests think of us

we are " Brits " & have the " Tee Shirt " to prove it .

I would no way try it in August, you'll just spend half your time in the restroom due to all the water you need to take on!

The winter months are much better suited to the challenge.

Drinking around the world is easy in comparison to the Monopoly Pub Crawl http://monopolyboardpubcrawl.com/ (Yes I've done it, yes we finished it, yes I was very drunk!)

As an ex cast member I've seen guests in all states after trying to drink around the world by the time they reached the UK pavilion early evening. Some people could handle it, others definitely could not.
I would definitely advise pacing it and drinking plenty of water and nibbling your way around the pavilions too.
Maybe split the pavilions into two visits if you've got enough time so you don't do it all on one day.

Hi.

My husband and I did this on our trip in September 2015. We took a whole day. We had our first drink when W.S opened and finished our last drink whilst watching IllumiNations. We felt a little tipsy but we made sure we had plenty of food along the way (F&W Festival was on) and we were fine. I think if you try to rush it, it won't work but we spaced out the 11 drinks over pretty much 9 hours, had lots to eat, drank water in between and we felt fine.

Have fun :thumbsup2

There's another drinking experience option, where you buy 6 glasses of wine and get a certificate which is stamped each time you get the wine. The wines are given out in France , Italy and Germany. Each time you go they will explain the choices and it's a good tasting experience. You don't have to have all the wines on the same day.

Go to France Germany or Italy and ask and they will explain the process. We've been going many many years and only found out about it last year.

This is called the wine walk and you get two pours in each country. The problem with it is you don't get to pick your pours. I always recommend just do the wine tastings in each country. France in the wine shop, Italy in the wine shop and they have a wine bar with food, Germany in the wine shop and they have cheese plates, Spice Road Tables at the bar, Japan has a small on in their Saki shop.

Thanks everyone. I certainly don't want to appear like WoodView imagines - Brits not giving a damn about anyone else Taking a whole day thing sounds really good, especially in the heat. We are going to do a Snacks around the World list too, to work alongside the drinks. I'm going to have one rule with them all - don't frighten the kids

We do this almost every trip as we usually stay at a boardwalk resort so can stumble back to our room for a nap as soon as we are done!

It's just the wife and I but we share a few drinks and have some of our own depending on what we fancied. The first time we tried it we did just beer and got so bloated that it became uncomfortable (although I appreciate everyone is different). Next time we were wiser and did more cocktails, which seemed much easier to handle. It's nearly always been mid September when we've gone so still hot. We mix in a few soft drinks along the way and also try and share a snack in each country too to soak up the alcohol. Definitely a nap afterwards is always needed for us.

As someone else has said I'd take your time, we spend about 5 hours easily I'd say. We always end up getting stupid photos along the way in every country (us wearing hats or glasses, us in front of the place we got the drink, or actually tasting the drink...). Makes for a really fun day in my opinion.

Perfect if you're staying nearby. If you are in a boardwalk resort make sure you start at Mexico! And don't forget to snack too...

Also, for the record, we are quiet people, not at all lary or loud however much we drink, and totally consider everyone else's rights. In fact we often spend time just sitting quietly and people watching along the way. It's a totally chilled out and relaxed day for us. Don't want to give brits a bad name either!

We visited last August and were planning on doing the crawl. We're a British couple, early 30s and whilst certainly not louts, we very much like a drink. The thing that put me off, and I'm not sure why it hadn't occurred to me prior, was the prices. Even though we were in WDW, shelling out about $9 a beer in 11 countries would put me back $99 (which is pretty much £80 with the exchange rate now). For two of us that would be a £160 bender! So for five of you, reckon you'd be looking at £400!

We visited last August and were planning on doing the crawl. We're a British couple, early 30s and whilst certainly not louts, we very much like a drink. The thing that put me off, and I'm not sure why it hadn't occurred to me prior, was the prices. Even though we were in WDW, shelling out about $9 a beer in 11 countries would put me back $99 (which is pretty much £80 with the exchange rate now). For two of us that would be a £160 bender! So for five of you, reckon you'd be looking at £400!

Wow! That's crazy money Thanks for the tips. They're going to help the family work out a way to get round the world relatively in tact

My wife and I did this pre kids and it was great fun! We shared a beer in each country and that was more than enough! We are in the Canadian steakhouse after and couldn't fit the food in

The people we saw doing it properly were smashed. Have seen drunk people be ejected in the past but not sure the repercussion of that on your tickets etc.

August may be during Food & Wine, since they move up the date to start Aug 31 this year. Next year it could be even earlier. Since your family doesn't want to share, then if F&W was on, you could get smaller sampler size drinks during the festival instead of the full size drink available all the time.

Not every country has a signature fancy drink. Some do like a Margarita in Mexico, Sake in Japan. Other don't and you are better off with a beer or a glass of wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter