Drive time from NYC to HHI

J

justcruisin

About how long does it take to drive from NYC to HHI? What do you think about not having a car at HHI?

TIA,
Diana

I live about 2.5 hours west of NYC and it took us 11.5 hours when we took the trip last year. My best advice would be try to stay away from DC around the hours of 9-5 PM. Traffic will be terrible. We left at around 2 AM in the morning and made it clear through to NC before we hit any traffic. Have a great time, I love HHI.:bounce:

From Rocky Mount, North Carolina to HHI takes approximately 5 hours.

It usually takes us about 12 hours from the Phila. area. You need to add about an hour to that from NYC. Best bet is to drive at night, to go through D.C. after 9:00pm, use the 295 bypass around Richmond (it says Rocky Mount, NC, and it's a left hand exit lane off of I-95) and exit 8 in S.C. to 278E right to DVC. It's a great resort- very beautiful and very relaxing. Savannah's about 45 min. away and Charleston about 2 hrs. if you care to see them. Have a great time!! :earsgirl: :wave:

My sister just got back from HHI and leaving from brooklyn, it took them approximately 14 hours. They probably made a few stops along the way and didn't drive 20 miles over the speed limit or anything.

Lisa

We just got back from HHI today, but we flew. From talking to many other guests and members at the resort, it should take about 14 hours from NYC. It seems we were the only idiots to fly to Savannah and rent a minivan. We left our villa at 8:00 AM this morning and arrived in northern NJ at 4:00 PM. So, we saved about 6 hours by not driving. The cost to fly for 7 people plus the car was about $1900. Probably not worth the money to save 6 hours.

A car is truly not needed at HHI, but very helpful. Since there is no restaurant service for dinner at the resort, you must eat elsewhere or cook. There are several restaurants within a short walk of the resort. The supermarket (Piggly Wiggly) is pretty close as well. Bicycles are a must if you don't rent or take a car. Bike rentals from Disney is a great value. Al will take great care of you.

There is shuttle service to the beach house, but it stops at 4:15 PM. We took our bikes most of the time anyway. It is about 1.5 miles away. Another option, which we did not take advantage of, is something called a Private Affair, I think. A chef will cook a meal for you at the resort, and you can participate in the cooking as well.

I also just returned from HHI. Unless you are determined to exceed 80 mph all the way down, you should count on 12 hours of driving time. Your companions will determine how many pit stops there will be which will lengthen the trip. In my case, with three small boys and a patient spouse, it was lengthened by two hours for various breaks. :D

One very good thing about driving down is that you can control when you leave the resort and are not bound by your airline's schedule. I also think that you will find a car to be a true necessity on HHI. Good luck with your trip. We can't wait to go back next year for the July 4th holiday.

:jester:

From Sayreville, NJ: took about 14-15 hours with a few brief stops. The ride wasn't bad at all.

IN May it took us 12 hours to drive from central NJ to HHI. This was under ideal conditions. A car is a real big plus at HHI. The only bad part was, we liked it so much we did a 100pt. addon.

Probably 12-14 hours, depending how fast you drive,how much traffic you hit, how many stops you make.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter