Driving from CT to FL... Are we nuts?

sheryl0521

DIS Veteran
We are planning a last minute trip to WDW in Feb, and due to the high cost and lack of flights, we are considering driving.

Going from CT to WDW - Mapquest said it is 1216 miles, about 20 hours. We were thinking of doing it in 2 days going down and 3 coming back.

Here's the kicker - 2 KIDS!! A 9-year old and an 18-month old. We are going to pick up one of the TV/DVD players for cars and some new toys for the baby, but I am just thinking we are nuts to try this.

What do you think??

In answer to your first question, YES you are nuts!! ;) But, as JTB has said, you are allowing plenty of time, and sound like you have a good gameplan.

Just as another question, have you checked Southwest flights out of Bradley or out of Providence (not sure where in CT you are)? You might stumble onto a great rate.

I'd take a serious look at Southwest fares out of Providence!

We booked our mid-February flight just before Christmas at an o.k. rate ($199 each RT). It's a little higher than we normally pay, but still worth getting there the same day, IMHO!

My opinion of driving may be a little skewed at this point, as we've just returned from driving to Oklahoma from Connecticut and back! Loooonnnnnggggg trip--two days in a car was almost too much for three adults!

Sheryl,

We're in the same boat (car?). Last week I convinced my husband to take a long weeking trip to Disney. We're leaving January 30 (Thursday) and coming back on Tuesday. We got our trip tik from AAA now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm nuts. We've never driven, but we're trying to save money on this trip since it wasn't really planned.

We have a son, 7, and two daughters, 5 and 2, and I'm two months pregnant. Here's my reasoning: in a couple of months our youngest daughter will be 3 and we'll have to pay for her (room and tickets), and a couple months after that we'll have a new baby and won't be able to travel for quite a while.

We're driving from NJ so our trip won't be quite as long as yours. We're also surprising our kids with this trip so I'm hoping the shock value will give us at least 2 hours of peace in the car. :).

We've taken long trip in the car before, but we only had 2 kids at the time. I'm praying this goes well.

Have a great trip.

Susan

Howdy neighbor!!! We live in Durham and we have driven, flown and taken the Autotrain (loved the Autotrain-but not cheap). Driving isn't the problem, it's driving in Feb. You never know with NE weather and this year we are having a doosey of a winter.
The drive isn't that bad. Leave very early (3-4am) while dd's (6&8) are still sleeping and drive to Washington DC. There we get out Hop on the Metro and walk around and see some of the sights, have lunch (this really breaks up the treck). Then it's back in the car, they are usually tired after a big meal and walking around DC, they watch a video, then fall asleep. We can usually make it to NC/SC line. Get a hotel, sleep, wake up the next day and drive to WDW. We are usually there by 1pm. Any other questions, I'd be happy to help. (I would have to ask my husband as he does all the driving -hahahaha)
Just take it slow and you'll be fine. Remember, WDW will ALWAYS be there, so if you get there and hour or two later then you thought...big deal.
Have fun and a safe trip!!!!

We're thinking about driving, too, and I sort of cringe (and there's NO kids in the car ----- well, except the big one behind the wheel). It's not just the cost of airfaire (because of reading these boards faithfully, I usually know about sales), but the cost of a rental car has gone up significantly in the past 2 years. If we do it, I think we'll take our time and make the drive part of the vacation. We'd like to stop off at DVC in HH on the way back and check that out!

Yikes! You guys have more guts than I do. I guess I would rather spend the money and save my sanity. We thought about driving, briefly. We just couldn't see spending that much time driving. I would rather just get there in a couple of hours. Then again, I'm not known as the most patient person.

biglaugh.gif

Oh my, how daring!

Sounds like you may be successful if you have a sound structure. But the kids can get irritable when very tired. A long car trip can be boring, but many families do it.
I prefer to pay a little extra for the plane tickets and arrive refreshed and ready for action. Besides, I don't want to feel that I am wasting vacation time, but humans are resilient enough to adapt to anything.

It could be draining. I suggest that y ou evaluate everyone's strengths and weaknesses and create a plan of action to see if it is factible. You don't want a fun vacation trip to turn into a torture!

we've driven about 6 times with 3 DD's (now 11,6,4). It is not as bad as you think.

I actually enjoy it!! Sick, huh?? but, I love the time I have to talk to my girls without the interruption of the t.v., phone, or the computer!! Each girl packs a backpack with their "stuff" and we play games on the way down etc...

We stop in VA both ways about half way point.

good luck......

You're not nuts! You're brilliant!
Cost of air travel for my DW and DD5 and I last June 2002: $1800 from O'hare to Orlando. Then we would have to rent a car. Total cost for two hotel nights and gas round trip was just $349. Huge savings! That's alot of extra days at WDW!
Rules for driving:
#1 Mini-van or van. Honda Civic will not do.
#2 Stop for food or bathroom whenever anyone needs it.
#3 Pack huge cooler on wheels with 24oz plastic bottles of pop/soda in favorite flavors bought cheap at home. Pack lots of snacks.
#4 Pack magnetic play boards and games and toys for kids.
#5 Stop for a scenery view, tour or other relaxing moment around lunch time each day. We took a 1/2 cave tour in Kentucky.
#6 You WILL stop at the Florida welcome center and take pictures of the family at the palm tree picture area. You WILL have free orange juice!
I think to take advantage of driving, tack a few days more vacation on after WDW. We drove to Daytona for four days stay on the beach after WDW to just relax. This year we're booked at Disney's Vero Beach.

Originally posted by mm6mm6
Cost of air travel for my DW and DD5 and I last June 2002: $1800 from O'hare to Orlando.

If you paid $1800 for 3 rt airline tx, I hoped you sat in 1st class.
Most people can find flights for around $175 -$250 tops, especially for summer travel. I have never paid over $250 for direct non-stop Pittsburgh or Cleveland to Orlando. And most of the time we pay less than that.
If you plan at least 21 days in advance you should have never have paid $1800 for 3 tx from anywhere in the USA.:eek:

We are thinking of driving down in May from Southern New Jersey. No kids, but my husband hates to fly. I am hoping that one drive down and back to Florida, will cure him of that. Any suggestions?

I am from NY at the crossroads of Rt84 and the NYS Thruway.. and we are planning on driving down to Disney in April... Any tips on a route?

Stay with 95 or is it a good Idea to use US81 till you get past the DC area?

Any other tips on a route?

Staying in Santee, SC on the way down, and Fayettville, NC on the way back... sound good???

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter