• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving from Houston

LAB

Earning My Ears
We (me, DH, DS5, DD5, DD1, MIL & FIL) will be driving from Houston in Feb.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions for a good place to stop for the night? We will be leaving in the morning and hope to get more than half the trip under our belt.

Thanks!

Hi LAB. I have sent this link for your post to a friend of mine that may be able to help. She has driven from Oklahoma to WDW MANY times. I'm sure that a certian point, your routes would be the same. I also know that she doesn't drive straight thru so she may be able to help. Also here's wishing you and your a safe and tranquel trip. :)
Gerri

We just drove from Seguin (East of San Antonio, West of Luling). We left about 3am (it got us through Houston before the traffic), and stopped in Marianna, Florida about 7pm. It was 827 miles from Seguin and is 60 miles west of Tallahassee. They have a very nice Hampton Inn there, and the nearby Waffle House was quite tasty for supper. On a previous trip we also stopped there, but ate at Ruby Tuesday's...avoid Ruby Tuesday's it was just plain old fashioned awful!!!!

Forgot to tell you, on the way home we stopped in Gulfport, Mississippi, as we left WDW about 9:45am. The Hampton Inn there was full (we have onstar and called ahead for ressies), but we were able to book into the Comfort Inn. The room was clean and nice, it looked like it had been through a rehab, the ceiling still needed some work - it is next door to a Krispy Kreme store. We ate dinner at Perkins there, it is attached to the Holiday Inn just down the street.

We drove from Houston 3 years ago. It was me, DH and DS, who was 10 at the time. We left Friday afternoon about 3:30pm and stopped in Mobile, AL for the night. Seems like we got into Mobile between 10-11pm. We stayed at a Marriott/Courtyard that was very nice. It wasn't far off I-10 and there were several hotels and restaurants right there.

Next morning we left Mobile about 8am. It was about 5-6pm by the time we got checked into the ASMo. There was a lot on road construction then throught the FL panhandle, or we probably would have made it a little faster.

We left Orlando the next Saturday about 11am and stopped in some little town in LA - (don't remember the name, somewhere between New Orleans and Lake Charles). We stayed at a HORRIBLE HI. It was a little spooky. There were some rather seedy looking characters hanging out in the parking lot. In fact my we had a baseball bat in the car, and my husband brought it in and put it by the bed in case we need some protection. The next morning we left about 7:30am. Wouldn't you know it, about a mile down the road there were some much nice hotels. We got back to Spring (north Houston) about 1pm.

We drove because my husband does not like to fly - but we have flew back the next year and are flying backagain in 40 days. He still doesn't like to fly, but that is such a long drive - it takes up 4 days of your vacation time.

Good luck. Hope you have a safe trip and a wonderful vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter