Driving in and around Toronto

“Where are you going” is an interrogation?

I read your post as sarcasm... as in “it’s absurdly easy to get into Canada”. From the follow up posts, I see you were serious and found “Where are you from” to be a trick question. o_O

I guess you have no idea the questions asked by US Customs of non US citizens. “Why are you brown? Are you a terrorist? Are you coming to take our jobs? We need the password to your phone.”

That’s a bit of an exaggeration... but only just a bit. :-/
Well, I found “Is this your car?” to be somewhat of an interrogation. I’m pretty sure the CBSA officer already knew it was rental car with all the bar codes on the windows. Then came the follow up questions such as where we were from, how we got to Washington, where we rented the car, the purpose of our visit. I was kind of surprised I wasn’t asked about the Oregon plates on a car rented from SeaTac.

I get that they’re looking for people who are nervous.

Our trip was amazing and with the exception of a snow squall between London and Toronto, had clear weather the entire time (thankfully!!) Traffic in and around Toronto was terrible and I never want to do that part of the trip again.

Getting into Canada at the border crossing were some pretty basic questions ~ "where are you going, how long will you be there, what are you doing, have you ever been in Canada before, jobs, is this your vehicle". Getting back into the US we were asked our country of citizenship, where we had been, what we had done, how long were we there, did we bring anything back with us other than souvenirs. The crossing back into the US took much longer, as there were about 20 cars waiting in the multiple lanes to cross (most of them for the Garth Brooks concert that evening in Detroit, the guard said). LOL We were the only car crossing on the way into Canada at that time.

We did discover while waiting in line to get back into the US that our passports weren't signed. Oops. We just renewed them about a month ago and we had forgotten to sign them, so we did it sitting in the car, waiting. I'm surprised nothing was said on the way into Canada.

Hotel X was incredible and everyone we interacted with there was polite and beyond helpful. I realize at this caliber of hotel that is their job, but we appreciated it, nonetheless. The location was great for what we were in town for, but if we would ever go back, we'd probably stay downtown (and fly in without driving!)

I tried to get the 2 for 1 tickets for the CN Tower, but the website wouldn't accept my credit card. I called my credit card issuer to be assured it wasn't my card with the problem, it was the website. I mentioned it when we bought 2 full-price tickets at the tower and all I got was "our website has a pretty high security clearance, sorry". So high it won't accept US credit cards?? That was the only blip in our trip and it wasn't a big deal, we were planning on paying full price, anyway. We skipped the aquarium due to time and the amount of kids. Walked across the street to Steam Whistle Brewing (which is a really cool historic structure next to the train museum) after the tower and DH had a beer and then took a Lyft back to the hotel.

The concert was great, though I didn't really enjoy standing for 6 hours straight. :( We stood on the edge of the pit right next to the front of the stage and DH bumped fists with the lead singer of Old Dominion. I stood back from the barricade just to give myself some breathing room. I didn't feel compelled to touch the band members, so I hung back when they were right in front of us...though people behind me were trying to crowd and touch them. :crazy2: I'll see if I can upload some pictures later.

I found out why DH wanted to stay at Hotel X instead of the DoubleTree downtown. It was part of my Christmas present and he wanted to make it special for me. :love:

We brought home $4 in Canadian money because we were planning on using it at the bridge toll since it was $3 American or $4 Canadian to get into Canada. Well, to get back into the US, it was $3.25 American or $4.25 Canadian and we didn't know if we could use a combination of money, so we paid in American dollars.

We had a great time and so much fun while on this trip. :) I had a terrible attitude about it for many reasons when I first found out about it, but as it got closer and I knew the weather was going to be good, I was excited.

Our family obligation (bridal shower) yesterday was fun and it was a nice break from the drive. We got to see some of DH's family we hadn't seen in a few months, so that was nice. We put almost 1500 miles on the car making our big circle trip.

We're trying to plan our next adventure, seeing as I didn't die on this one :rotfl: but with my Dad's health, our next 6 months or so is up in the air. Maybe some smaller, closer to home trips will happen, instead.

Thank you again to everyone that gave me advice, tips and recommendations for our trip. We truly appreciated all of them and every one of them was discussed with DH. :)

Another positive is we discovered which branch of our bank keeps foreign currency on hand. Most branches you have to order it ahead of time, but we know now where to get it on short notice. :)

@Searc sounds like it was a great weekend! Summer here is beautiful and there’s always something wonderful to do.. festivals, concerts and all kinds of multicultural fun!

Come back & visit again!

Another positive is we discovered which branch of our bank keeps foreign currency on hand. Most branches you have to order it ahead of time, but we know now where to get it on short notice. :)
So glad you had a wonderful trip!

Don't always count on the local branch having foreign currency. When I was going to London last year, my local branch told me I had to order GBP online. The year before, they barely had enough Euros to cover my request.

Always call ahead if you need to change money. Better than making a trip in vain.

So glad you had a wonderful trip!

Don't always count on the local branch having foreign currency. When I was going to London last year, my local branch told me I had to order GBP online. The year before, they barely had enough Euros to cover my request.

Always call ahead if you need to change money. Better than making a trip in vain.
They hauled out their entire box of foreign currency in front of us. Canadian, Pesos, Francs, Euros, etc. It was about $20,000 worth of money. pirate: She did say this time of year they tend to run low on pesos so we should call ahead of that is what we needed. lol That is the only branch that keeps foreign currency on hand, none of the other branches do and it will cost us an additional $8 to order it.

They hauled out their entire box of foreign currency in front of us. Canadian, Pesos, Francs, Euros, etc. It was about $20,000 worth of money. pirate: She did say this time of year they tend to run low on pesos so we should call ahead of that is what we needed. lol That is the only branch that keeps foreign currency on hand, none of the other branches do and it will cost us an additional $8 to order it.

None of the branches of my bank (at least near me) keep it on hand, but it doesn't cost anything extra to order it at least.

Also, Francs?

None of the branches of my bank (at least near me) keep it on hand, but it doesn't cost anything extra to order it at least.

Also, Francs?
I asked about the Francs, because I thought France was using Euros now and she said it is for Switzerland, not France.

Our trip was amazing and with the exception of a snow squall between London and Toronto, had clear weather the entire time (thankfully!!) Traffic in and around Toronto was terrible and I never want to do that part of the trip again.

Getting into Canada at the border crossing were some pretty basic questions ~ "where are you going, how long will you be there, what are you doing, have you ever been in Canada before, jobs, is this your vehicle". Getting back into the US we were asked our country of citizenship, where we had been, what we had done, how long were we there, did we bring anything back with us other than souvenirs. The crossing back into the US took much longer, as there were about 20 cars waiting in the multiple lanes to cross (most of them for the Garth Brooks concert that evening in Detroit, the guard said). LOL We were the only car crossing on the way into Canada at that time.

:)

Glad to hear your trip went well.
Have you never crossed the border before? What you posted is a pretty typical border crossing experience.

Glad to hear your trip went well.
Have you never crossed the border before? What you posted is a pretty typical border crossing experience.
Not by car and it went exactly as I expected it to. No surprises.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter