Driving in and around Toronto

Actually, I know that hotel pretty well.

Good location in the heart of downtown and within walking distance to shopping, restaurants, attractions, and potentially even the concert venue itself.

Where is the concert?
Coca Cola Coliseum.

I used Here WeGo to get around London last year. You download the maps that you want and the app uses your phone's GPS without using data. It works the same as Waze or Google Maps with step by step directions.

That way, you don't have to worry about a huge cell bill when you get home. If you get charged for international calls, put your phone in airplane mode and use wifi to place calls through WhatsApp. You can even do facetime-like calls, if you'd like, to others who've downloaded WhatsApp.

I haven't paid international charges anywhere when I've gone abroad. I have ATT suspend my service while I'm gone. If I was going somewhere with very sparse wifi, then I'd consider an international plan, but I haven't needed it yet.

Coca Cola Coliseum.

That venue is at our exhibition grounds. It’s an unfortunate mix of being centrally located but not walkable.

If you genuinely want nothing else to do with Toronto, there is a brand new hotel on the exhibition grounds. You could lock yourself away in the fancy room and then walk across the street at show time. I think it may even be slightly less expensive than your current selection. (see link below)

However, if you do want to walk and explore the city, the Double Tree is right near our impersonation of “Times Square.” You’ll stumble on some city culture at the Double Tree.

https://hotelxtoronto.com/

I've never thought it was difficult to drive in Toronto and environs. Granted it's been six years since I was last there.

I probably wouldn't want to drive from Wisconsin to Toronto in February, however.

A bit of an update. We are staying at Hotel X (DH's choice, not mine, as it is more than twice the cost of where I wanted to stay), my Verizon plan covers data in Canada and we are driving up over Lake Michigan from the Green Bay area, over the Straits of Mackinac and down the middle of MI and crossing at Sarnia on the way there and through Chicago on the way home, because our previously mentioned family obligation is in Kenosha.

I am feeling totally unprepared for this trip. I am unsure if we can use American dollars anywhere and I don't want to offend anyone by trying to use them, especially as tips for the hotel. *sigh* I don't know where we'll run into tolls and if they are all-electronic of if we can use cash. I don't know if our hotel is within walking distance to the concert and whether it is safe enough to walk back after the concert in the dark. DH is a 'it will work itself out' type of traveler ~ I am not.

Trips shouldn't be this nerve-wracking. :headache:

The only toll road I can think of close to Toronto is the 407. I believe you can use it without a transponder but it’s been awhile since I’ve driven on it. And of course the bridges between US and Canada have a toll. They take US cash.

Most places around here that I’ve seen posting they accept USD will give you a 1:1 exchange rate. Most places will take credit card. But if it’s hotel tips only, I don’t think the staff would mind USD.

The only toll road I can think of close to Toronto is the 407. I believe you can use it without a transponder but it’s been awhile since I’ve driven on it. And of course the bridges between US and Canada have a toll. They take US cash.

Most places around here that I’ve seen posting they accept USD will give you a 1:1 exchange rate. Most places will take credit card. But if it’s hotel tips only, I don’t think the staff would mind USD.
Thank you. I really don't want to offend anyone by giving them currency they are unable to use. We will be using a credit card with no foreign transaction fees for most everything else.

I don't know if we'll be driving on the 407 yet, as my planning hasn't gotten that far. I do know the 407 is electronic tolling only.

A bit of an update. We are staying at Hotel X (DH's choice, not mine, as it is more than twice the cost of where I wanted to stay), my Verizon plan covers data in Canada and we are driving up over Lake Michigan from the Green Bay area, over the Straits of Mackinac and down the middle of MI and crossing at Sarnia on the way there and through Chicago on the way home, because our previously mentioned family obligation is in Kenosha.

I am feeling totally unprepared for this trip. I am unsure if we can use American dollars anywhere and I don't want to offend anyone by trying to use them, especially as tips for the hotel. *sigh* I don't know where we'll run into tolls and if they are all-electronic of if we can use cash. I don't know if our hotel is within walking distance to the concert and whether it is safe enough to walk back after the concert in the dark. DH is a 'it will work itself out' type of traveler ~ I am not.

Nobody is going to offended by USD tips. It’s money that’s easy enough to exchange or even use on trips to the US.

Some businesses have a cash exchange rate that’s a little bit less than you can get at a bank. Many might accept coins at a 1:1 exchange rate. That’s actually quite favorable to the businesses.

:)

I think most people would be happy to be tipped with American money. I’d be thrilled! :)

Agreed on the tipping, and as an aside, your husband sounds very much like my own.
I hope you do enjoy the concert, and your weekend.
Thank you, me, too. My DH is usually very frugal, which is why the insistence on this hotel surprises me. :confused3

Enjoy. And I think in Toronto, prettu much anyone would be thrilled to be tipped in US dollars. Even my DS17 learned how to go to the bank to exchange some US cash I had given him - he was excited to report how favorabke an exchange rate he got! (Of course I shook my head as we travel to the US frequently and I would have been far happier for the cash to stay American haha!)

So as mentioned the hotel is on the Ex grounds and should be a 5 minute walk to/from. Given that proximity it should be more than safe getting back.

Now if you walk the other way, through the train station, you'll see Liberty Village which has some craft brewers and a 3 Brewers Restaurant. Might not be a bad place to go.

I hate driving in downtown Toronto so I'd Uber/taxi it if you can.

Looking at your driving itinerary, the 402 from Sarnia to London is a whole lot of nothing. If you're looking to make a stop to get food or whatever I'd suggest you do it in Port Huron/Sarnia on the way over or wait until the Wellington Road exit which will be just after the 402 merges into the 401. The OnRoute stations are nice to stop at but are a bit overpriced.

407 is the only toll road you'd likely encounter. It won't get you downtown, so you can probably ignore it.

For money, if you have a Bank of America card you can withdraw cash at any Scotiabank and not get charged the ATM fee. Don't know if that helps you or not.

So as mentioned the hotel is on the Ex grounds and should be a 5 minute walk to/from. Given that proximity it should be more than safe getting back.

Now if you walk the other way, through the train station, you'll see Liberty Village which has some craft brewers and a 3 Brewers Restaurant. Might not be a bad place to go.

I hate driving in downtown Toronto so I'd Uber/taxi it if you can.

Looking at your driving itinerary, the 402 from Sarnia to London is a whole lot of nothing. If you're looking to make a stop to get food or whatever I'd suggest you do it in Port Huron/Sarnia on the way over or wait until the Wellington Road exit which will be just after the 402 merges into the 401. The OnRoute stations are nice to stop at but are a bit overpriced.

407 is the only toll road you'd likely encounter. It won't get you downtown, so you can probably ignore it.

For money, if you have a Bank of America card you can withdraw cash at any Scotiabank and not get charged the ATM fee. Don't know if that helps you or not.
Thanks for the advice. My card is a Chase card and is never used as an ATM card, charge only. :) My DH would love the craft brewers, so thanks for that recommendation. :)

Please do not expect to use American dollars everywhere.
If you go a foreign country be courteous enough to use the correct currency.

This. While I'm sure some take it, I can't even imagine asking if someone in another country took USD. I've been to Canada three times in the last few months and needed cash exactly one time- for parking at a show in a suburb of Niagara. It's pretty easy to get by without it, especially in a major city like Toronto.

Nobody is going to offended by USD tips. It’s money that’s easy enough to exchange or even use on trips to the US.

Some businesses have a cash exchange rate that’s a little bit less than you can get at a bank. Many might accept coins at a 1:1 exchange rate. That’s actually quite favorable to the businesses.

Yes we all jump for joy to be honoured with your currency. Maybe tips might be okay but I wouldn’t assume anything.

Last edited:
Hotel X is beautiful. Very close to your venue. Safe to walk. Credit cards will be taken almost everywhere. I live here and rarely use cash. You should probably take the 403 just past Woodstock. That will bring you into Toronto on the QEW which is right by your hotel. Your hotel is west of the downtown, so no crazy downtown driving. Just try to avoid rush hour

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter